Front Brake Installation

Bike
2002 ST1300
STOC #
USD060
STers,

I had to detach the front brake, and now am trying to re-install it. However, I can't seem to fit the brake pads into the "slot", as I *think* I need to do. I'm attaching a photo with a red arrow pointing to where it doesn't seem to fit. I've pushed back the brake "pins" (those round cylinders that push against the pad) to allow the pads to go in, but they just won't. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I have zero mechanical expertise, so please don't assume anything! Thanks, Dan.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The tabs on the upper end of the pads fit in notches up inside the caliper. Of course the pads fit on either side of the disc so each side of the caliper has a notch but it is hard to see from the angle the picture is taken from. The pic looks like we are trying to fit both pads into a slot but that slot is where the brake disc goes. Take one pad at a time and fit the pad up into the caliper while looking at the caliper from the top and off to one side. You can see the notch the tab on the pad fits into while looking at top of the caliper. The retaining pin fits from the outside in so fit the outside pad first and slip the retaining pin in just far enough to hold that pad in. Then fit the inside pad and push the retaining pin all the way through the caliper. I hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300
STOC #
USD060
The tabs on the upper end of the pads fit in notches up inside the caliper. Of course the pads fit on either side of the disc so each side of the caliper has a notch but it is hard to see from the angle the picture is taken from. The pic looks like we are trying to fit both pads into a slot but that slot is where the brake disc goes. Take one pad at a time and fit the pad up into the caliper while looking at the caliper from the top and off to one side. You can see the notch the tab on the pad fits into while looking at top of the caliper. The retaining pin fits from the outside in so fit the outside pad first and slip the retaining pin in just far enough to hold that pad in. Then fit the inside pad and push the retaining pin all the way through the caliper. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks very much, I think I got it! Dan.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dan,
Check, check and double check that each side is in the slot at the top. First time I did it, one inner pad was not in the slot at the top and it was drive able for say a hundred miles. Did a check and noticed the top of the inner right pad was not in the slot. I was still able to put the pin in when the top was not in the slot.
Again, keep checking to make sure you got it right.
Best of Luck

Top Bottom