Front brake rotors for '93 ST needed

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
On my trip last week (and somewhat prior to then...) I noticed a pretty bad vibration and shaking of the handlebars when I apply the front brakes. I am assuming I have a warped rotor(s). When I brake lightly the bike also "surges" to a stop. I just went onto a few Honda parts sites to try to order new ones and they don't seem to be available anymore. Does anyone have a source for these? No ST's in the junkyards around me that I have found.

Has anyone had their rotors machined/resurfaced with any success? I assume they also wear out like car rotors. What are we supposed to do when they are too thin?

Thoughts?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Ebay, etc. has lots of used ones cheap. Parts breakers like Boonstra, etc. will have them. Lastly they are available aftermarket from several places, even on Amazon.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
How many miles on your bike? (and presumably the rotors)

If you mileage isn't excessive (<100k mi / 150k km) you might just have some contamination on the rotor or friction surfaces of the pads. A good wipe down of the rotor surfaces with brake cleaner would be a cheap and easy thing to do. Spray the cloth or paper towel with the cleaner rather than spraying directly on the rotors to minimize likelihood of damaging painted surfaces. The vibration suggests a periodic source - like warped rotors or a contaminated region of the rotor(s) - more so than the pad surfaces, but it still wouldn't be a bad idea to check those before setting out to replaced the rotors at a non-trivial cash outlay.

Of course overall mechanical condition of your bike, how it was stored, and ridden, are all factors that can influence braking performance and behavior.

Good luck!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Has anyone had their rotors machined/resurfaced with any success?

I assume they also wear out like car rotors.

What are we supposed to do when they are too thin?
I've never heard of anybody providing resurfacing services.

yes they wear out.

If they're too thin you buy new ones, or find used ones online. When buying used inquire as to the thickness (5.00mm new, 4.00mm wear limit), and return policy if they turn out to be warped after installation. OEM are crazy expensive, I think EBC makes replacement rotors for the ST that are more reasonably priced, but still not cheap. Your rotor should be replaceable by any year non-ABS ST, and the earlier ABS1 versions, but not ABS2, those are the ones with the different size rotor.

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
i think I have a pair, I'll check tonight, in the mean time measure the outside diameter of the discs to make sure they will match.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Also not sure if yours are floating with the buttons but on the VFR those buttons get a lot of crud built up on them and there is a way to clean up the area around the button . Also I think that another of Hondas bikes would use the same rotor.

OP
OP
IndyRob

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions. I have previously tried cleaning them (when the shaking was more mild a while back). The bike has just over 60K miles on it, with a decent amount of it what I would call hard / aggressive riding (lots of brake and clutch work!!). I do see Amazon has a few choices for aftermarket rotors at maybe a little more than a machine shop would charge me to try to turn them both down, so I'll give that a try, replacing the pads at the same time.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for the suggestions. I have previously tried cleaning them (when the shaking was more mild a while back). The bike has just over 60K miles on it, with a decent amount of it what I would call hard / aggressive riding (lots of brake and clutch work!!). I do see Amazon has a few choices for aftermarket rotors at maybe a little more than a machine shop would charge me to try to turn them both down, so I'll give that a try, replacing the pads at the same time.
I'm not sure just how critical this is, but Honda does say that the bolts holding the rotors on are a one time use only part.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm not sure just how critical this is, but Honda does say that the bolts holding the rotors on are a one time use only part.
That may be because of the thread locker on them.
I've 'reused' them before on more than one occasion without any issues so far.
I think it's sort of like the rear caliper stopper bolt - IIRC, it is a 'one time' use but I could be wrong on that.

OP
OP
IndyRob

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Yes I noticed that too and ordered 12 new ones. $5 each yikes!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That may be because of the thread locker on them.
I've 'reused' them before on more than one occasion without any issues so far.
I think it's sort of like the rear caliper stopper bolt - IIRC, it is a 'one time' use but I could be wrong on that.
I suspect you're right on the thread locking compound being the cause. And yes, the rear caliper stopper bolt is listed as "NEW" in the service manual, indicating one time use. A legal CYA for Honda given that these fasteners are related to the braking system.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I suspect you're right on the thread locking compound being the cause. And yes, the rear caliper stopper bolt is listed as "NEW" in the service manual, indicating one time use. A legal CYA for Honda given that these fasteners are related to the braking system.
I've never replaced that rear stopper pin on any of my ST1100s - 435,000+ miles between the four of them. ;)

Top Bottom