Front discs

What's the best method of cleaning the front discs, not the bit the pads sit on, just want to tidy them up a bit

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Have you tried Coca Cola? It's a mild rust remover. Still needs some elbow grease and a non abrasive pad. Let the cola sit for a bit.

You could also try commercial rust removing products like CLR. I think they have it over your way too.

1657540687493.png

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I used S100 and a 3" paint brush to clean disks, calipers etc. of road grit and dirt and then brake cleaner and a kitchen abrasive pad to scour disks and remove stubborn stains / dirt.

Bike
2000 ST1100
That's strange. I just use car wash soap and mine clean up and look like new. Do you have some agressive front pads that are staining your rotors?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Probably the stuff they use on the roads across the pond in the winter.
It eats up swingarms like candy.
The core problem is that they're actually riding in that brine, plus rarely wash them rigs... them bikes to look like they've been sitting on the bottom of the ocean...

If the spokes of the rotors look that bad, a soda- (or nutshell) blaster will be the only way...
Since the area is factory painted, it'll require application of a new, thermal resistant protective coating afterwards...

Bike
2010 ST1300
soap, water, tooth brush, elbow grease.
No grease on the discs!

Seriously, if you are going to be aggressive about it, you will have to pull the wheel. You don't want any abrasive powders on the pads and some chemicals can damage rubber components in the calipers.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
No grease on the discs!
That is certainly a valid concern.

Whatever you use to clean the disc, be sure to thoroughly "clean" the disc one last time using brake component cleaner to remove any residue remaining from the prior application of other cleaning compounds. The brake disc is subject to extreme heat when it is used, and no-one knows what the effect of that heat would have on any residue remaining on the disc from detergents, etc.

Michael

Top Bottom