Front Fork Seal Replacement

Bike
2016 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hey gang
This will be my first attempt to replace a leaking fork seal on my 04 ST1300.
I've replaced the fork oil numerous times on all of my bikes but never had to do a fork seal.
There's some upfront trepidation but I believe after reading the manual and the help of this fine forum that I believe I'm up to the task!
Couple of questions:
1. Does the fork slider bushing need to be seated in to the fork slider before seating the oil seal or will driving the oil seal and the back-up ring also seat the slider bushing at the same time?
2. I bought my bike used and it already had a fork brace on it. I cant determine exactly how they are attached or how to remove it. Can someone give me some upfront tips on removal and assembly?

TIA
Patrick Tucker
Arlington, Texas
STOC #1246

Bike
GL1800 2015
bushings have to be driven in first! then the seal,and then the ring...
I made the mistake of puting the seal in first and destroyed it getting it back out...
(this was on a GL1800,but I'm pretty sure the seal replacement is the same)

no clue on the brace..good luck!!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
If it's a brace like I have, there are 4 allen head bolts that hold it in place. Be sure and put it back on last after all your torque sequence when you put the bike back together.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ST1300 ............ When the fork tube is withdrawn from the slider the two bushings, the back up ring, and the seal will be on the end of the tube in that sequence - with the seal uppermost and the slider bushing bottommost. When reassembling the sequence is reversed. From the bottom the new seal slips on the tube, then the back up ring, the slider bushing, and at the bottom the fork tube bushing. When the tube is inserted into the slider and the seal is driven into place that action seats the slider bushing in place.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
bushings have to be driven in first! then the seal,and then the ring...I made the mistake of puting the seal in first and destroyed it getting it back out...(this was on a GL1800,but I'm pretty sure the seal replacement is the same)no clue on the brace..good luck!!
Well, the bushing goes in before the seal but you drive them home simultaneously. You do nof have to drive the bushing and seal separately.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:plus1:
Motion Pro Fork seal tool, or 1 1/2 inch PVC coupler and 24 inch piece of 2 inch PVC tube works well. Make sure your tubes are free from nicks and burrs before seating the new seals.

Top Bottom