Front pad wear indicators

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just want to confirm...

The open notch under the end of the friction material on the pad is the wear indicator.
pads.jpg

My pads are wearing and getting a little uneven. .8mm on one side and almost double 1.6 on the other side.

And apparently .8mm might be too low...
Front caliper.jpg

Or did some numbskull get the left and right spacers mixed up?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Or did some numbskull get the left and right spacers mixed up?
AFAIK not, as those as well are 'floating callipers', designed to centre themselves in relation to the rotors...
But examining the rate of corrosion I'd assume that the pins the callipers supposed to slide on are in need of some TLC and overhaul procedures ;-)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I assume its nothing, but I gotta ask. Why is it that in the second picture the texture of the brake pad looks the same as the texture on the caliper frame? Assuming its just coincidence, and not due to the rotor rubbing on the caliper, right?

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I assume its nothing, but I gotta ask. Why is it that in the second picture the texture of the brake pad looks the same as the texture on the caliper frame? Assuming its just coincidence, and not due to the rotor rubbing on the caliper, right?
Why does the texture look the same? Sorry, couldn't tell you.

Was it rubbing, most definitely. Not sure what was hanging up to cause the rub at this point. Will do full dis-assembly and inspection when the new pads arrive. Since I wasn't too the wear indicators I don't quite understand it myself. I gotta delve in there some more.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Was it rubbing, most definitely. Not sure what was hanging up to cause the rub at this point. Will do full dis-assembly and inspection when the new pads arrive. Since I wasn't too the wear indicators I don't quite understand it myself. I gotta delve in there some more.
Ah, I just now noticed your comment above the photo about .8mm might be too low, missed that the first time around, or I wouldn't have asked the obvious question about is it rubbing.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Clean and lube up the pins, replace pads and bleed the brake and clutch systems while you are at it and all things will be good to go. You will always see one pad wear more than the other.

Top Bottom