front right brakes not wearing....?

Bike
GL1800 2015
I changed the front tire,and noticing that the right side pads looked fairly new...left side wear looks good...pads have about 16K miles on them...
havn't noticed any braking problems.....

I guess,start by flushing the line?...maybe there is dirt clogging it?....

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I would suggest flushing/bleeding the lines and cleaning the caliper. Do you have driving lights attached to the calipers? Something like motolights by chance that could be stopping the floating action of the caliper?

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
no lights/farkles...dont have time to look at at it...but brakes work good....maybee I dont ride at WiSTOC and spend day flushing brakes!...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know its a bit of a late reply, but ........ If one side isn't wearing as much as the other side, it is possible that the caliper isn't moving on its slider pins. They might need cleaning and greasing. I dont know if you have an 1100 or a 1300, but this is much easier to do on an 1100. The 1300 has brake lines which prevent easy separation of the two halves.

The brakes are applied by pressure from the pistons which moves the outer pad onto the brake disc surface. The inner pads are moved in towards the surface as a result of the entire caliper body sliding across as a consequence of the pressure from the pistons.
So apply the brakes, the pistons move in, the caliper body moves out. Pads on both sides get the same pressure.

If something prevents the calipers from sliding out, the pressure on the outside will be greater, increasing brake wear. In addition, the pressure is pushing against the disk surface from one side only, which, over time, may cause problems.

Without the pads in, it should be possible to grab hold of the caliper and move it in towards the wheel and back out, relatively easily.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I know its a bit of a late reply, but ........ If one side isn't wearing as much as the other side, it is possible that the caliper isn't moving on its slider pins. They might need cleaning and greasing. I dont know if you have an 1100 or a 1300, but this is much easier to do on an 1100. The 1300 has brake lines which prevent easy separation of the two halves.

The brakes are applied by pressure from the pistons which moves the outer pad onto the brake disc surface. The inner pads are moved in towards the surface as a result of the entire caliper body sliding across as a consequence of the pressure from the pistons.
So apply the brakes, the pistons move in, the caliper body moves out. Pads on both sides get the same pressure.

If something prevents the calipers from sliding out, the pressure on the outside will be greater, increasing brake wear. In addition, the pressure is pushing against the disk surface from one side only, which, over time, may cause problems.

Without the pads in, it should be possible to grab hold of the caliper and move it in towards the wheel and back out, relatively easily.
:plus1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Remember that both on the ST and the Wing, the SMC is on the left front caliper. So, my personal opinion is the left from caliper is doing just a bit more work than the right caliper does. On every ST I've checked brakes on while doing front tire changes, the left caliper pads are more worn than the right.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think I answered a question that wasn't asked !

I read it as a difference in thickness of pads on the same caliper - which having re-read it, is probably not what the OP intended. Never mind, I'll leave it here - and when somebody decides to ask the question that I answered, I'll be able to re-use it.

I have some brilliant answers over here. Just waiting for the right questions to be asked !

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think I answered a question that wasn't asked !

I read it as a difference in thickness of pads on the same caliper - which having re-read it, is probably not what the OP intended. Never mind, I'll leave it here - and when somebody decides to ask the question that I answered, I'll be able to re-use it.

I have some brilliant answers over here. Just waiting for the right questions to be asked !
I think there are two answers to this one, both yours and mine... yours is related to keeping the parts clean and working properly while mine is more related to the design of the system and how it works. It's always a good idea to keep and eye on your parts and keep them clean and in working order.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
All of the above.... plus if the bike is ABS there are a couple of other things which may require checking.....

Their proper descriptive names escape me at the moment, but one is a delay valve and one is a PCV.....

If anyone can remind us of the functions of these...... and how they might affect the front end as they do.

Senior moment......:eek::

Confusion is the OP appears to have a Wing, but the post is in ST1300 land....

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
All of the above.... plus if the bike is ABS there are a couple of other things which may require checking.....

Their proper descriptive names escape me at the moment, but one is a delay valve and one is a PCV.....

If anyone can remind us of the functions of these...... and how they might affect the front end as they do.

Senior moment......:eek::

Confusion is the OP appears to have a Wing, but the post is in ST1300 land....
The Delay Valve delays application of pressure from the rear pedal to the front right caliper (possibly explaining while the left usually shows more wear).

The PCV reduces the pressure from the SMC to the two rear outer pistons once braking has been initiated, to prevent skidding of the rear once braking has caused the weight to shift to the front wheel. This pressure regulation is also a function of how hard the brakes are being applied.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Thank you sir.... knew there was a connection in there somewhere.....

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
I read it as a difference in thickness of pads on the same caliper -
yep!, that seems to be it!... I flushed the lines last May at WiSTOC... rode it hard...brakes seem fine...and have been able to get it out a few times this past week! :D
Havent inspected at all...so I'll have to take a look....but braking has NEVER been an issue!...:shrug2:
(ABS GL1800)

Top Bottom