Front Sprocket change [2011, 1250FA bandit]

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Hello all!

I am well on to my second chain and my first sprocket change. The rear sprocket is easy enough but Im stuck on the front sprocket. Below is an image of the issue where im stuck at! Ive bent an Alan wrench trying to get this... thing off, Can anyone help me with some guidance? It would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Try a sharp rap or four with a hammer Use a soft punch against nut surface.Maybe try some heat carefully,( take chain off )so you do not fry it! Will a socket fit on this lock nut.Try a n impact gun.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Try a sharp rap or four with a hammer Use a soft punch against nut surface.Maybe try some heat carefully,( take chain off )so you do not fry it! Will a socket fit on this lock nut.Try a n impact gun.
Well I am not on the Nut its self yet, Right now im on that part with teh four fins sticking up, doesnt it have to come off first? Or is it and the nut all one thing?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Plus put the bike in gear and have a friend hold the rear brake and/or put a piece of wood between the swingarm and the rear wheeel forks to help prevent it from rotating. (assuming the chain is still on the bike.)

Have you ever changed this before? It certainly doesn't look like the setup shown on the Ron Ayer's microfiche.

1591097916133.png

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Plus put the bike in gear and have a friend hold the rear brake and/or put a piece of wood between the swingarm and the rear wheeel forks to help prevent it from rotating. (assuming the chain is still on the bike.)

Have you ever changed this before? It certainly doesn't look like the setup shown on the Ron Ayer's microfiche.

1591097916133.png

This is my first time changing a front sprocket ever. Ive changed a chain or two in my day but this is my first full sprocket change.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
This is my first time changing a front sprocket ever. Ive changed a chain or two in my day but this is my first full sprocket change.
I've only done sprockets on my Kawi so this doesn't look right to me. The larger nut in behind looks correct, but that front bit with the hex key hole and the odd castellated nut and the oversized washer just looks wrong. Do you have another angle photo?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
ok, so it seems the castellated nut is the speed sensor, and it has to come off by removing the allen key bolt. Afterwards you can take off the 32mm nut holding the sprocket.

As others have said you should use an fallen key socket and a long breaker bar. If that fails I'd do an impact driver that you hit with a hammer, and lastly I'd try and impact gun. Just make sure the Allen it completely seated and the proper size so you don't round anything.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
I've only done sprockets on my Kawi so this doesn't look right to me. The larger nut in behind looks correct, but that front bit with the hex key hole and the odd castellated nut and the oversized washer just looks wrong. Do you have another angle photo?
I can get more when i get home, Im at work for the next few hours. Trying to gather all the info i can before i get home.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Going by your picture. I would get a socket end wrench over that the nut. Then Alan wrench to losing that Alan head's bolt.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Going by your picture. I would get a socket end wrench over that the nut. Then Alan wrench to losing that Alan head's bolt.
The outer "nut" bit seems to be related to the speed sensor and is held in place by the allen key. Remove the allen key, then the speed sensor and voila, the nut for the sprocket is accessible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
This may be what you want... See the 10min mark.

This is a better video (although for a Hyabusa)

I checked the first vid and it seems easy enough, Although mine must be way over torqued. I had my full 200lb weight on my socket and it didnt want to break free. This is how i bent my Alan lol.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Thanks all for the advice, Ill borrow my mates impact on the way home, What size nut is the front sprocket? I know its smaller than the rear which was much easier lol.

Bike
R1200rt
similar idea if the first does not work and if that doesn't work drill the head off the allen, pull the tone ring off. there should be enough of the bolt sticking out to heat it and grab it with vice grips. Never sieze that screw when it goes back in.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Thanks everyone! We got it done, got a shiney new 116 linke gold chain on my baby with new sprockets front and back. But in the process learned my brakes on the back are paper thin so those are in need of replacing sooner than not but, that job is easy enough that i wont need assistance. Thank yall for all the advice and the information. Oh and the Alan bolt holding on teh speed sensor thingy, Was just way over torqued, the Drive shaft and all the rest while a bit rusty / dusty were in good shape.

There should be a motorcycle skills lab somewhere to learn all this type of stuff!

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom