Front Sprocket change [2011, 1250FA bandit]

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Thanks everyone! We got it done, got a shiney new 116 linke gold chain on my baby with new sprockets front and back. But in the process learned my brakes on the back are paper thin so those are in need of replacing sooner than not but, that job is easy enough that i wont need assistance. Thank yall for all the advice and the information. Oh and the Alan bolt holding on teh speed sensor thingy, Was just way over torqued, the Drive shaft and all the rest while a bit rusty / dusty were in good shape.

There should be a motorcycle skills lab somewhere to learn all this type of stuff!
Excellent. Glad you got it sorted out.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Glad you got it sorted, and noticed the rear pads in the process.

That's the trick about the front sprocket. It wears in half the time of the rear one (roughly.) I've done 3 front sprockets, one rear sprocket and one chain so far on my ZR7S.

I may need to check the front sprocket on the ST soon... :wine2:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks everyone! We got it done, got a shiney new 116 linke gold chain on my baby with new sprockets front and back. But in the process learned my brakes on the back are paper thin so those are in need of replacing sooner than not but, that job is easy enough that i wont need assistance. Thank yall for all the advice and the information. Oh and the Alan bolt holding on teh speed sensor thingy, Was just way over torqued, the Drive shaft and all the rest while a bit rusty / dusty were in good shape.

There should be a motorcycle skills lab somewhere to learn all this type of stuff!
Excellent! Glad you took care of that.

There is such a lab. You've just taken the first lesson, and it's not likely you will forget it.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Sorry I got to this party late. I just did the same job on my GSX1250FA 2011. You've already figured it out, so I won't get into it. But there are a lot of differences between the ST1100/13 and this bike. If you're going to do maintenance on it, I'd suggest getting a copy of the shop manual. It's been invaluable to me. Cheers!

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Hiya all a quick question on grease! Is there a preference for the type of grease used for things like the Axel? We used just generic moly based grease we had on hand. I want to relube the axel bolt when i do the brakes this comming week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
How did you finaly break the allen screw loose?
Leave the chain on, put it in gear and let the engine braking handle it keeping the sprocket in place and just apply a good amount of force. It will eventualy pop free. Just pull on it, You may need someone to be on the other side of the bike to help support it if your bolt is over torqued like mine was. But it will break free.

Beyond that use the longest Alan wrench you can or an impact with an Alan head on it and pull.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I just use regular waterproof axle grease. I think it's Belray. I bought a tub years ago when I took off my first axle, and I still have about 3/4 of it left.
Hiya all a quick question on grease! Is there a preference for the type of grease used for things like the Axel? We used just generic moly based grease we had on hand. I want to relube the axel bolt when i do the brakes this comming week.

Top Bottom