Front suspension is in need of rebuild

slo~ride

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
Bike
18 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I have an 06' ST with 94000 miles on it and the front suspension is is getting pretty weak. I know there are some GURU'S out there that know what type/ brand componets work well. I typically ride easy on the straits and medium to hard in the twisties. I'm 200lb or 220lb with gear and I usually carry an extra 20lb in the bags on a daily basis. I very rarely carry a passenger. I need to beef up the front but dont really wish to spend my entire retirement to do so.

please let me know what you have done and how it works, likes/dis-likes

Thanks
Slo~

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I rebuilt my forks with Race Tech Gold valves and sonic springs (already had the Sonics or would have considered Race Tech springs). I used OEM bushings, seals and fasteners for everything else. Huge improvement.

Edit: Also used Red Line 5wt suspension fluid per Race Tech's recommendation if not using their fluid.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Have you changed the fork fluid during that time? Maybe give that a try. Sonic springs also help.

OP
OP
slo~ride

slo~ride

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
Bike
18 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Have you changed the fork fluid during that time? Maybe give that a try. Sonic springs also help.
I had the fork seals changed at 62000 miles and changed the fluid then. 94000 on it now and in need of fork seals again, figured id have a new set of everything put in this time.

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
Hey Slo,
Same thing here. I'm looking for a cheat sheet of things to replace when I Gold Valve my forks and install Race Tech springs. I'd like to make sure I have needed bushing, seals, wipers (and what have you) when I tear this thing apart this fall. I'd like to have everything on my bench when I start.

Any smart/experienced folks out there with a good list of stuff to have on hand? Is there something on the Wiki I overlooked???

Mark

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Slo,
Same thing here. I'm looking for a cheat sheet of things to replace when I Gold Valve my forks and install Race Tech springs. I'd like to make sure I have needed bushing, seals, wipers (and what have you) when I tear this thing apart this fall. I'd like to have everything on my bench when I start.

Any smart/experienced folks out there with a good list of stuff to have on hand? Is there something on the Wiki I overlooked???

Mark
Race Tech just became a member of this forum. You should discuss your situation with them. I bet they have the perfect setup for you.

Top Bottom