Front Wheel Dragging

Greetings,

I just bought a new to me 2004 ST. It needed tires so I pulled the wheels off to have that done at a local shop. My front wheel is dragging pretty bad. While installing the front wheel I did have the left side spacer backwards but figured that out pretty quickly. Everything is torqued to spec and the only thing I could think of was that the forks were out of alignment?? I have had the front wheel off of several bikes and this is the first issue I have ever had. Any input would be appreciated. I wasn't sure if this fell under brakes or suspension so I started it here.

Thanks,

Marty

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Make sure you don't have the left and right spacers switched:

OP
OP
Thanks for the reply. The spacers are on the correct sides. This will be my weekend project.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dragging is usually the spacers or the brakes and can be associated with a bad SMC on the left caliper. It would be odd that it only surfaced after a tire change.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is the best way to reinstall the front wheel, a slight difference than what's in the manual:

Might also check the conditions of the brake pistons and clean them but that's still odd a tire change would have caused this to surface.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

Make sure the pads are properly installed. This might help. The text talks abiut the rears more than the front, but most of it still applies.

It might be helpful If I pasted one of the pictures here as well.

1675497989612.jpeg

Nb this picture is shown looking from the front of the bike .
Left and Right sides are named as if you are sitting on the bike: left is clutch, right is brake.
This is the same convention that is used in the Honda Workshop Manual.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The bike is new to you, did you benchmark the free rotation of each wheel before removing them? Dragging is one thing but even in best of times neither wheel is going to freewheel like most bikes will and may only freewheel 1:5 to 3 turns with a firm push.

OP
OP
Thanks for the replies. The wheel did freewheel prior to coming off. There is no freewheeling now. Spacers are correct so I guessing there is something with a caliper. I'm going to pull it apart and start over. Thanks again.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Be patient, don't discount anything suggested. Start over with the wheel off, check everything again and let us know what you find!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Be sure to read @Mellow at Post #5, because that will be your "baseline".
Wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the pistons as well before putting the wheel back on, but I also find it curious (unusual) that removing the wheel introduced the stickiness.
I'm only echoing echoing echoing what you've already seen. (Does anyone else hear an echo in here?)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks for the replies. The wheel did freewheel prior to coming off. There is no freewheeling now. Spacers are correct so I guessing there is something with a caliper. I'm going to pull it apart and start over. Thanks again.
You said you had put the wheel spacer in backwards at one point, did you torque the wheel down with the spacer in backwards?
If so, I'm guessing you crushed the wheel bearing dust seal flat, and that could be one of many things causing your wheel to drag now.
Your forks are probably misaligned as well, just about every one that comes through the garage is off.
The procedure for loosening the pinch bolts, bouncing the front end, and the assembly instructions, have NOTHING to do with the FORK alignment.
If you want to discuss it, send me a contact number, or call me, I'm on the U.S. RAN list in Arizona, I'd be glad to assist if you need help.
Igofar

OP
OP
Thanks for all of the input. I either have a ham fist or my torque wrench is off. The axle bolt was too tight. I borrowed a neighbors torque wrench and everything is good now. I guess I have an excuse to upgrade to a digital torque wrench. I noticed that the left spacer was in backwards prior to torqueing anything down so the dust seals are good. Thanks again..

Marty

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A beam torque wrench will always be more accurate than a digital or click type.
Most shops that build engines won’t allow anything but beam style.
A non-beam style will have to be (should be) calibrated every six months or so.
You should re-examine your wheel bearings and dust seals again, if you tighten the axle enough to cause binding.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I’ve got snap on and Mac, click style, and old USA craftsman beams. The beams have never been off.
The snap on ones, both inch and pound have been calibrated yearly, and still wander once in a while under heavy use.
I’ve seen too many HF wrenches waaaay off to trust them, regardless of reviews to trust them.
Tekton makes some pretty good sockets and wrenches, but I’ve not tried their torque wrench yet.
Whatever you use, I would say check it often, keep it calibrated, and keep it in a case and not just thrown in your toolbox etc.

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I’m with Larry I have HB handle dialed models torque wrenches that I know will need calibrated regularly. Perhaps I should have considered the time and expense and just gone old school.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Good news Marty. Good to hear that nothing was damaged.
A beam torque wrench will always be more accurate than a digital or click type.
This is a classic theory versus application scenario.

In theory, there is no question that a beam type torque wrench is more accurate.
In the application being discussed here, i.e. motorcycle fasteners, the amount of torque being applied to any fastener is not high enough to create an issue, so I agree completely that a beam type torque wrench is more accurate in this application.

In practice, this is not always the case.
When much higher torque levels are being applied, it is a whole different story. In high torque applications, precious few people are strong enough to be able to properly control a standard beam type torque wrench to be any where near as accurate as that same person can be with a standard click type.
Increased accuracy in high torque applications is one of the reasons why click type torque wrenches came in to being.

In high torque applications, precious few people are strong enough to be able to properly control a standard beam type torque wrench to be any where near as accurate as that same person can be with a standard click type.
Exactly ... like when I have the zero turn mower jacked up about 45° and I'm torquing down new mower blades ... no WAY in heck in gonna torque those, laying on my back with this odd position, and see the beam needle. Click type is the ONLY way in that scenario. (if I remember, they require 90 ft/lbs).

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A half inch drive beam would have no issues at 90 foot pounds, but I do agree with being able to see them.
The click type just MUST be kept calibrated if you want to trust them.
You can purchase a tool to calibrate them yourself if you have a vice.
Or an adapter from beam to click tool.
Most torque wrenches are only accurate in their mid-range anyway.
Folks who use a high reading torque wrench for motorcycle stuff and never go beyond the first few settings, would often be surprised that their wrenches are off several foot pounds.
If you need settings around 10-30 ft.lbs. You would be better off using an inch pound tool, in the mid range for better accuracy.

Top Bottom