Fuel coming out of pipes it shouldnt

Hi Guys,

I've got an st1100 engine that I've put into a dirt buggy
Its been sat for at least 6 months with out being run

finally got round to finishing it, have connected fuel hose to the inlet, but when I turn the fuel pump on and turn the engine over, fuel is flowing out of one of the pipes on the front side of the carbs

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Sam

Stuck float seat more than likely! Pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed that you certainly have a float(s) that is stuck wide open. The carbs are badly flooded and fuel is running out the rubber vent hose at the front. Not only is fuel coming out of the vent, but it's also running down the inside of the carbs bodies through the pilot and main jet circuits. There is a very good possibility that you have standing fuel in the cylinders and a high risk of hydro-lock and fuel diluted engine oil.

Before turning the engine over again, pull all the plugs, then turn the engine to clear the cylinders of any standing fuel. Just a precautionary measure to make sure you don't bend a connecting rod. Check / change engine oil if it smells like gas....

I too would like to see some pix of your project!

Thanks for the help,
I have cleaned the carbs and it seems to have done the trick! had that much petrol everywhere that it ran for a good 5 mins with out the fuel pump turned on!
I will get some pictures soon, workshop needs a clear up first! ;) looks like a bomb went off!

Back
Top Bottom