Fuel economy is terrible!!

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
I get about 34 goofing around and 44 mpg [US] just about at best and I'm pretty sure everything is good on mine; very little rear disc heat, zero front disc heat, bearings cool, drive assy warm. 40 odd k / 25,000 miles. At 120 k the engine is about 4,000 [?] rpm, it's not a Corolla. If your brakes are dragging you're gonna get off the bike and put your hand on the rear disc and feel heat.
True 120kph is 4300rpm... well past its efficiency band. 3600rpm at this speed would be nicer...

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
As I have written previously, I have logged every single tank of fuel that has run through this motorcycle since new, so I know exactly what my minimum, maximum, and average fuel consumption is as well as everything in between. The calculated average fuel consumption, which is the only reliable metric for a discussion comparing fuel consumption, for the entire distance that this motorcycle has traveled since new is 19.65 Km/l.
You can do the math yourself if you like. This motorcycle has traveled a total of 120,438 KM consuming 6128.83 litres of fuel to do so.
There is something that is not making sense, at least to me, with your fuel consumption numbers that needs to be sorted out.

My result naturally will be a little higher or lower than others as there are so many variables. I doubt that I am achieving considerably better numbers than every other ST1300 rider however, as I can see no reason why that would be as there is nothing special about my ST1300 or the way that I ride it. I think that most people would report considerably better fuel efficiency than what you report. You are distrustful of my numbers, so launch a thread asking people to report their average fuel consumption to get a larger sample. Keep in mind that, when comparing fuel consumption with others, different people are using different units-of-measure depending on where they live. i.e. Stating XX MP/Imperial gallon is a vastly different measure and result than XX MP/US gallon, and the poster does not always state which unit-of-measure was used.

An aside that isn't really relevant to this discussion but I thought I would add it as a reference;
My on-board fuel consumption meter average is reset at the beginning of each riding season and is not touched until the end of the riding season. At the end of each riding season it has always displayed an average fuel consumption of 19.X Km/L- always within a few tenths of what my calculated average is.
My adjusted (corrected) fuel consumption average is under 16km/l. I live in a very hilly neighbourhood. Everytime I leave or come home, I'm going up steep hills. In town, my mileage is poor. This has to be some of it. But as you've seen in my other posts, I get 20km/l when I'm going 90kph. 120kph will get 15km/l or less, unless I'm coasting downhill...

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just read thru and surprised at some of the mpg listed....
2004 St with 50k miles....
around town 32-34, hiway 42-48 depending on speed.
checked against actual gas fill vs miles and found my onboard computer to be about 2+
best mileage ever recorded was a slow 55 mph flat slab and hit a 50+ mpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
hiway 42-48 depending on speed.
I think that there are to many variables when trying to compare fuel consumption for city riding, but my average does include the mileage I do as city riding to get away from home and to get back home and whatever is required as I roll through towns and cities along mostly back-road highways.

I have made the assumption that the numbers that you have posted are based on miles per US gallon.
Looking at your highway numbers, 42 Miles/US gallon translates roughly to 18 Km/L or 50 Miles/Imperial gallon. 48 Miles/US gallon is about 20 Km/L or 57 Miles/Imperial gallon.
For comparative purposes, if those two are averaged out it equates to 45 Miles/US gallon, which is approximately 19 Km/L and 54 Miles/Imperial gallon.
Those numbers are in the same range as what I have often seen reported on this site. They are also consistent with my numbers.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Sorry,,, what is the heat number on these plugs ?? I just changed out a set of ngk cr7's (previous owner's dealer's choice),,, and replaced them with cr8 iridium. Cheers,,, CAt'

Here's a pic of the plugs...
Seems to me that the parts near the electrodes are clean, but I wonder why so much oil/wet-carbon buildup around the outer rim...
The reason I ask about the heat number,,, is that if they are like cr9's ?? That might explain the oil/wet dark buildup ?? CAt'

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
....launch a thread asking people to report their average fuel consumption to get a larger sample......

Or, as others have said before, you can also check Fuelly for that, about 18 km/L, which is right where mine is.

Also interesting on Fuelly, are the two spikes, one at 46 mpg (20 km/L) and one at 37 mpg (16 km/L).

The first is right on what I get in "Grandfather" riding mode and the second when in "Italian Tune Up" mode.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have several comments that I would like to add, but don’t want to type it on this damn little phone like some teen age girl, so I will post my comments following this post once I wash the brake fluid off my hands and go inside.
With that said, I will post this picture (spoiler alert) to see if anyone here can pick up on it.
Eight pages and nobody has questioned this?
What your looking at are four plugs, in the correct fitment for his bike.
Anyone notice anything that jumps out at them?
Compare these to his pictures.
:rofl1:
Details to follow.

Attachments

Reactions: Obo

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The following comments and/or suggestions, are made in an attempt to help the OP with his fuel issues, and are in no way meant to insult or offend ANYONE who commented on this post.
With that said, I will try to explain, and suggest what I think may be causing some, if not all of his issues.
Everyone will get different MPG depending on several variables, in altitude, how the bike is ridden, shield position, state of tune, brake issues etc.
MY personal bike gets 56-58 MPG (US) ridden on the roads I ride on, in the manner that I ride it, and the state of tune I keep it in.
Several folks who keep detailed records, and record every fill up, or use apps will point out that THEIR stats prove that its not possible, or that their bike(s) don't get that.
Perhaps, but my bike does, and several of the bikes I've worked on now also do etc.
So it is what it is, these are just my comments and opinions, again not meant to piss anyone off or offend them.
I've see the OP comment several times that the brakes were checked by pro's, and a guy who knew his stuff etc.
I've personally repaired so many bikes that Pro's have screwed up, or thought they knew what they were doing, that I've lost count.
My comment to this would be DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK.
Maybe your putting too much trust in the shop's, or your friends ST knowledge?
The OP keeps saying he was TOLD things were cleaned and checked etc.
I would question was it checked correctly?
Did someone really pull off the vacuum lines and check the tee? Then did they just push the old dried out lines back on, possibly causing vacuum leaks?
I've see several dealership hand customers back parts that didn't even belong on the model or brand bike that they worked on :rofl1:
I would love to see a picture of the T-stat that they gave back to him posted just to see what it really looks like.
The OP said these folks informed him that the brakes were in good working condition, and not the problem.
I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that one.
The owner should try and find a forum member near him to assist him in checking his brake system, to just really rule that out.
I personally suspect that ONE of the contributing factors of his issues are probably in fact, brake issues, only because I find so many of them failed, and folks have no idea how bad it is when they ride in.
I don't care how anyone rides, or what position his shield is at, NO ST should get that kind of fuel mileage.
Running out of time here today, so I'll cut to the chase....
The four plugs I posted were two different brands (NGK & ND DENSO), and two different styles (STANDARD & IRIDIUM).
One plug was used I pulled from a bike on the lift, and the other three are new stock.
Anyone notice anything different from HIS picture and Mine?
Perhaps he should check the NGK website on how to spot knock off plugs etc.
Most, if not all of the INCORRECT fitment plugs, whether knock off or not, should be similar.
Look at the shoulder(s) on the correct fitment plugs, then look at the threads on the plug the OP is holding!
No shoulder, and way too many threads.
I'm guessing he has a few things going on, which may include brakes, T-stat, but absolutely those are not the correct plugs for that engine!
Borrow a bore scope and inspect the top of the pistons.
:WCP1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Or, as others have said before, you can also check Fuelly for that, about 18 km/L, which is right where mine is.

Also interesting on Fuelly, are the two spikes, one at 46 mpg (20 km/L) and one at 37 mpg (16 km/L).

The first is right on what I get in "Grandfather" riding mode and the second when in "Italian Tune Up" mode.
What I question about apps like this are 80 bikes, out of how many thousands of them made, and what condition are they in?
Did they have brake issues the riders didn't know about? were they bikes like most of the ones I see that are just ridden into the ground, and are not tuned properly?
Sure, I could make stats on X amount of random bikes, but I wonder how the states would change on X amount of bikes that are known tuned properly?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just a side note.
Larry whispered my bike 4 years ago.
Just last week, riding mostly level ground, 65-70mph, I looked down and would regularly see 51 & 52mpg on the display.
And I thank Mr.Igofar in my head each time.
Fill ups are slightly less because of the fun roads around here. :)

T

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
What I question about apps like this are 80 bikes, out of how many thousands of them made, and what condition are they in?
Did they have brake issues the riders didn't know about? were they bikes like most of the ones I see that are just ridden into the ground, and are not tuned properly?
Sure, I could make stats on X amount of random bikes, but I wonder how the states would change on X amount of bikes that are known tuned properly?

Good point!

A respectable poll should most definitely take the Igofactor in consideration.

Fuelly is merely reflecting the deplorable conditions the ST Riders who haven't made the Igofar pilgrimage yet are reduced to.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
My avg MPG is 38-42 with some instant ranges in the 50's and up. I like to keep the RPMs up though and rarely slow down to 60-65 on highways.
I use 93 octane, since the 91 is rarely available. I keep the windscreen down, and weigh about #190 with ATGATT.
My son's don't like riding with me because I go too fast!!...cruiser types. what's a guy to do??

Rob

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The HWY speed limits in my area are 75 mph, and most folks run about 10 over that.
I don't trust the instant IDIOT display, I take a picture of the mileage, reset the trip meter, then do the math when I fill up again.
75 mph = mid to high 50's, 65 mph =low 60's.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Let’s ge back on track about HIS fuel issues and not derail his post.
I wanna see the parts they gave to him, and have someone versed in ST’s inspect his brake system, and find out more about his spark plug.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm guessing he has a few things going on, which may include brakes, T-stat, ......
There is no reason why what you wrote should anger anyone, mostly because all of those issues have already been suggested in an attempt to provide assistance. The brakes and thermostat were among the earliest suggestions. It was also suggested that what he has been told about the condition of his motorcycle should not necessarily be trusted unquestioningly.

Even though every possibility that has been suggested so far has been reported to be in good condition, I know that the fuel consumption being reported is to high and is abnormal so I know that there is something wrong. If I had hands on this motorcycle I still would be looking at brakes and thermostat, even though they have been reported as good, before anything else. I would also ditch those spark plugs, regardless of whether they are fake or not, just because they are Iridium. Most others on this forum also know that the fuel consumption reported is abnormally high but none of us are there to witness the condition of the parts inspected, so all that we can do is try to help him based on the information that we are given and react to the responses that he provides to us.

All part of the joys of long distance diagnosis.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
Okay...

Good news!!!

Went for a drive today. Fast medium and slow... Felt something... Coasted and listened for brakes. Whether they were doing this before or not I'm not sure but definitely now are dragging. Back one hot. Front left warm. Front right fine. Now I gotta figure out if I can service them myself. Seems like the three pro shops I brought the bike to were possibly lacking in some smarts... I specifically asked 2 of them to check brakes.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
might have asked you before... but where are you...?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
might have asked you before... but where are you...?
In my garage at the moment :rofl1:
I'm pretty sure I can't call Nova Scotia, on the white courtesy phone without my wife killing me, but if you have the means to call me (on your dime) my phone number is on the U.S. RAN LIST, under Arizona (Igofar).
If you are fairly comfortable working on simple stuff, I can talk you through some inspections, to make sure your bikes not going to pitch you off without warning.
IF you have some simple hand tools, patience, and can follow instructions (over the phone) I can even probably walk you through repair/replacing the damaged parts, and assist you in flushing and bleeding the entire system..
I do this often with folks over the white courtesy phone.....at your own risk of course ;)
Standing by if you need to call.
But be warned....I will point out ALOT of damaged stuff that may not be working correctly on your bike....I'm kinda OCD like that.
Let me know if I can assist you.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can hear the collective refrain of I knew it!

There are two things that everyone on this forum suspects when poor gas mileage is mentioned- thermostat and dragging brakes. Despite the brakes having been reported as good, I can guarantee you that many on this forum had their doubts.

Good to know that you have identified something that needs attention, it is a starting point.

Search for threads about SMC on this forum to familiarize yourself with what to check.

IGOFAR is Arizona.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I don't know if the OP came back to say whether or not there's any evidence of rolling resistance; in some form of heat. It's difficult to crack a problem in half without any feedback sometimes.

Top Bottom