Fuel mileage drop

Got in m nfirst long ride in over a year yesterday. Due to my wife’s breast cancer no much riding last year.
well maintained 05 with 50k on clock.
I rode 700 miles in the day.
My dash was showing instant mileage in the high 20s. Sometimes 30s
was riding mainly on the slab and average 95 to 100 mph
just seemed lower than usual.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Again, your battery is dying.
See your post of your clock resetting.
Sorry to hear about your wife.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The instant mpg measure is a snapshot. The gold standard for mpg is distance divided by recorded fuel burn. in 700 miles how much gas was burned?

There are many variables to mpg. Obviously speed and rate of acceleration but also pump errors, ambient temperature, general condition of the vehicle's engine (stuck thermostat or misfiring spark plugs?) terrain, gross weight, seasonal fuel mixtures, etc. Recording mpg over time evens out variables and gives accurate data. The more distance/refills the better. Even better is joining a platform that shares mpg data from many owners. Fuelly has data from at least 183 owners over about 2 million miles.

I could claim my ST1300 gets about 60 mpg but over time and many data points it got about 43 mpg after evening out variables.

Attachments

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The bikes computer will richen the mixture in cooler air temps and high throttle settings. I think running 95 is pretty high throttle and probably full rich on the mixture. I'd say a true mpg average of 30 would be good at 95. I average 43 to 44 over a year and try to run 75 per GPS regularly.

Ride a calm wind day at 80 indicated (75 gps) (bless your fast heart) and see if it's closer to 40 with no headwind.

thanks for reminding me to go out and reset the long term trip fuel average meter. I only reset it once per year. (42.5 last years avg.)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The bikes computer will richen the mixture in cooler air temps

This is well illustrated here with this OZ Owner's records over several years, showing his mileage dropping every winter.

Denser cold air (more Oxygen) requires more fuel to maintain the mapped AFR.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
700 miles at average of 95-100 mph? I can tell you are not in Ohio. Get caught at those speeds in Ohio and you are probably going to jail.

We can't even get to the proverbial "It'll run 80 mph all day long" lol

Ohio Highway Patrol have a saying "Over 9...you're mine"

with a 65-70 mph speed limits on the majority of our freeways that works out to 74-79 mph. I generally run 72 and 77 respectfully. Even at those speeds my gas mileage is drastically affected, like by 10 mpg.

I have averaged 38 to 41 mpg for over 5 years. 78 mph. 41 mostly in Canada on the regular gas. Winter mileage subtract 2 mpg.

Bike
VStrom 650
The only time I got to ride all day at those speeds on my 11 was on EU Autoroutes. You could see the gauge falling. I never checked the mpg, what's the point when mpg is obviously not that important because if it was you wouldn't be riding quick.
Upt.

Bike
04 ST1300
Got in m nfirst long ride in over a year yesterday. Due to my wife’s breast cancer no much riding last year.
well maintained 05 with 50k on clock.
I rode 700 miles in the day.
My dash was showing instant mileage in the high 20s. Sometimes 30s
was riding mainly on the slab and average 95 to 100 mph
just seemed lower than usual.
At those speeds high 20's to low 30's for mpg is quite normal and very good. I ride on the slab at an indicated 76 mph (which is 70 in reality). I get roughly 42 mpg on the readout. But riding constantly at an indicated 76 mph I am able to travel about 276 miles before the fuel bar starts flashing. Based on the tank specifications provided by Honda, this translated to about 45 mpg.

The fuel consumption increases dramatically on this bike after 4500 rpm. 4000 - 4300 seems to be the sweet spot for a combination of good mpg and a decent speed.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I commute every day in the NW. I found the speed you're riding and the ambient temperatures seem to have the highest impact on fuel economy. I get 42-45 MPG.
Reset the trip meter on the next fuel fill up. Ride until you need fuel again. Re-fuel. Take your miles traveled divided by the number of gallons it takes to re-fill. I do this pretty religiously. Surprisingly, it's always been close to what the motorcycle computer indicates.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
The fuel consumption increases dramatically on this bike after 4500 rpm. 4000 - 4300 seems to be the sweet spot for a combination of good mpg and a decent speed.
I would add that the wind plays a large part in decreased fuel consumption. Wind resistance increases exponentially, so an object moving at 100 mph has 4 times the drag then when going 50.

Also, I would track your consumption by recording mileage and fuel each time you go to the pump. You can use a spreadsheet or an app/site like fully.com. Fuelly's pretty easy to use and free to boot!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So glad to see the majority here and their 42mpg figures, as that's my normal average. That's been consistent since I first got it, despite the claims by @Igofar he routinely gets 50+.
We already know he's super-special, knows all the tricks, and the rest of us are just rotten, and our bikes all stuck unless he has whispered to it in the dark privacy of his Magic Shoppe (with all respect, Larry.)
And I'm just anal enough to record gallons and miles traveled at every fueling, no exceptions.
Many of my miles reduce my net taxes, that's partly the reason, but I also continually attempt to justify owning and riding a bike versus the car.
Even if we all know it's an exercise in futility, as the big bikes cost more per mile to operate and maintain.
Shhh!
Don't tell my wife!
"See, honey, I get TWICE the mpg on the bike as I do in the car!"
Never mind gas costs more, tires cost more, riding gear costs more, farkles definitely cost more, etc, etc.

But let's forget all that
And give me the number if you can find it
So i can call just to tell them i'm fine and to show
I've overcome the blow
I've learned to take it well

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
…..I only wish my words could just convince myself, that it just isn’t real…

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There is so much more to getting good mpg on a motorcycle.
There are so many factors that can change things.
Riding style, temperature, altitude, type of clothing, accessories, how the bike is tuned, type of fuel.
Etc.
Ya’ll need to stop overthinking this stuff and enjoy riding more.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Ya’ll need to stop overthinking this stuff and enjoy riding more.
Yabbut, remember, you're THE Mr. OCD (sorry, "CDO"), and listening to your heightened awareness and mechanical acumen, you can't blame us for being conditioned (by your postings) that the rest of us mere mortals are just destroying our STs.
All this talk about Five-Way-T's, wax valves (huh?!) and engine balancers and stuck airbox screws and idle screw cable adjustments... and you wonder why someone appears paranoid around here? :rofl1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Exactamundo! The only fuel management I care about is not running out.*

*The tank doesn't come off of the bike quite as easily as it does on my NH750.
I never run out of fuel, but my tires sometimes run out of air.
With the same results, for all practical purposes.

Top Bottom