Fuel pump!

Hi. I know there have been multiple threads about fuel starvation but I still can't find an answer .. Trying to work out why my fuel pump isnt working . Happened a couple times now and left me stranded. Last time was just after it passed the MOT when it conked out at the bottom of a very steep hill. Have removed from tank and wired the 2 wires direct to battery and it works - (bypassing the "capacitor"(?) looking thing on the pump frame) .. it works like this .. but not via the ignition.. any ideas ?

When my fuel pump was failing it always seemed to starve after a long or steep decent and change of altitude. Your problem seems similar. The issues with these pumps can be very intermittent as Uncle Phil said. I would also check mine using a direct connection to 12v and it would work. It would however stop intermittently when riding.

Dan

There is a fuel relay in the circuit. Does it do it when the fuel is particularly low?
ST1100 fuel pumps can go south and display intermittent problems.

Hi Phil. Thanks for responding. I changed the relay (at least I think I got the right one) Fuel is at about half a tank. Fuel pump when wired direct seems to work fine.
I'm wondering if the 'thing' on the pump 'frame' is a capacitor and maybe it's that which has failed but I have no idea how to test it ..

When my fuel pump was failing it always seemed to starve after a long or steep decent and change of altitude. Your problem seems similar. The issues with these pumps can be very intermittent as Uncle Phil said. I would also check mine using a direct connection to 12v and it would work. It would however stop intermittently when riding.

Dan

Hi Dan. Which of the 3 wires on too of the tank did you connect to run it directly? I've only managed to get it running when I stripped the pump right out of the tank and got just the 2 wires off the pump and not involving that other electronic component that's screwed on the pump frame ..

The fuel pump can fail hot. When it does fail you need to listen if the pump buzzes key on. It should buzz for a second or two. Make sure the shut valve is not leaking thru the vacuum hose or just bypass it. Save some headaches and just change the pump most failing pumps act the same way.

Top Bottom