Full Spectrum Li-Ion batteries with Intelligent Pulse Technology can be resurrected at the push of a button

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I don't really care about the AH rating that much, as these types of batteries are needed for brief high output purposes. Now if the bike were electric, the AH would affect range, or if I liked to run my accessories off the battery with the engine off, AH becomes important then so that the bike can still be re-started.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I don't really care about the AH rating that much, as these types of batteries are needed for brief high output purposes. Now if the bike were electric, the AH would affect range, or if I liked to run my accessories off the battery with the engine off, AH becomes important then so that the bike can still be re-started.
In my case, the trouble with my existing battery began when I was sitting in a long lineup at a border crossing, with the engine idling and my heated clothing, heated grips, heated seat operating. Plus starting and stopping the engine a few times (turning the ignition off) whilst moving forward in the line.

In that kind of situation, AH rating matters.

Michael

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If you have a voltmeter on your bike, you should be OK as long as the voltage stays above charging voltage I think. I know my '93 ABS ST1100 with its 28A stater could not keep the battery charged under the conditions you described but after I upgraded to the 40A alternator, I never noticed that problem again. The ST1300's and current Super Tenere's charging systems seem to put out enough volts at idle speeds to avoid relying on the battery, at least in my experience so far anyway.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Well - after doing all the research, I decided to not buy this new fancy battery.

It came down to economics - this battery costs about twice as much as a Yuasa YTZ14S, which is the premium battery specified for the ST 1300. Past experience suggests that the Yuasa battery lasts about 5 years. Although the lithium battery has a very generous 5 year warranty, the numbers don't work in its favour. The 'reserve power trick' that the lithium battery offers is certainly useful, but not worth spending double the price to get.

Michael

Top Bottom