Fun with a CB750 starter rebuild

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
My brother-in-law's starter fried on his '91 CB750. We opened it up and bought a rebuild kit for it. The kit has a brush plate assembly which is a mirror opposite of the one in the starter - ie. the "+" brush is on the opposite side of the + brush on the original brush plate. Is this likely to be an issue?

Mid-progress update. When I installed the kit, the main "+" lead wire was in contact with against the "-" mounted spring. :( This caused a big short which welded the spring coils together and killed the spring. I am in the process of trying to salvage the old plate, and move the new brushes over to it, and improving the insulation on the "+" lead. If that doesn't work, I'll just get another rebuild kit - at least they're cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
My brother-in-law came over yesterday and we did some work on his CB750. He has a dead starter and I am trying to rebuild his previous dead starter...

Opened up the starter that was on the bike, and one of the brushes was stuck. Cleaned it with brake cleaner, and got it out from it's holder, and was able to clean up the holder with a small square file. Re-assembled with fresh grease at the gear end, and it's good to go! That was a bonus on top of the chain and front brake job we did. It's nice to get a win once in a while! :)

Top Bottom