Fuse block for motorcycle

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
With my electrical needs growing, I'm going to install a fuse block on my ST1100. I'm leaning toward Curt Gran's FZ-1 Fuzeblock because of it's size, built-in relay and ability to easily switch between constant and switched power. I plan to run my GPS, voltmeter, camera, USB ports and heated gear through it.

I'm familiar with Blue Sea, Eastern Beaver and the Innovv Power Hub, but still leaning towards the FZ-1. Are there advantages of these that I'm missing or any others I should consider?

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have used the Eastern Beaver hub in my ST1300. The only thing I did not like about it in retrospect, is the external relay which did cause some issues on a trip. Simple fix, bypass it. But you have to remember its bypassed :)

When I got my 2015 Goldwing I purchased the Fuzeblock which I highly recommend. It works as advertised and it simple to wire in.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The Blue Sea box is too large. The Eastern Beaver 3-circuit solution is pretty neat. I"ve used them several times. You could gang the low power items (GPS, voltmeter, USB) on one circuit. The FZ-1 is a good piece of kit as well. The Power hub has a messy string of individual fuseholders to find a place for.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Years ago I had a Centech AP2. It started overheating and burning out the terminals. I switched to the Easternbeaver PC8 and haven’t had a problem since. I would go with Curt’s or the PC8.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Years ago I had a Centech AP2. It started overheating and burning out the terminals. I switched to the Easternbeaver PC8 and haven’t had a problem since. I would go with Curt’s or the PC8.
I had problems with a Centec AP2 as well. Plus I never liked the proximity of the sheet metal cover to the live (+) lug. I don't use them anymore.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the FZ-1 on the ST1100, the thing I liked about it was being able to select constant or switched power individually on each circuit, and change your mind later without rewiring! Has worked fine for me for three years so far...

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Too many choices and all work so well! On my GL650 Interstate I used a 6 circuit Blue Sea and on the ST, an Amplink from Rowe Electronics. Both work very well and would give years of reliable service.

The FZ1’s flexibility is a drawing card and the simple way it provides that flexibility is admirable. I’m not a fan though, since I’m not a fan of screw terminals in this application.

The Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit are simple and elegant and scalable. Love it. The PC8 is flexible, built very well but uses screw terminals.

The Neutrino series are cool, work very well and make perfect sense to someone who wants all that flexibility and control. Not my personal cup of tea but I’ve put a few into clients hands and they’ve been quite pleased.

I’d say that which ever flavour makes sense to your application and needs will probably work for quite a while. Like anything else, use quality components for the connections, apply dielectric grease wherever appropriate and check the connections every so often.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The Neutrino series are cool, work very well and make perfect sense to someone who wants all that flexibility and control. Not my personal cup of tea but I’ve put a few into clients hands and they’ve been quite pleased.
Nothing else does what a Neutrino does though. There will definitely be one on my 2nd ST when I build it - possibly alongside a Motogadget M Unit that completely replaces the original wiring harness and there won't be a Hitachi harness connector on the entire bike.. That is an entirely different hobby from equipping and riding motorcycles, though they fit together nicely.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I went with the FZ-1 Fuzeblock.
FWIW, I ordered late yesterday morning and got notice that it was shipped the same day via USPS. Tracking says it will be here Thursday. I'd say that's pretty good service from Fuzeblocks.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I got the FZ-1 installed. I'm using the switched accessory plug to fire it. I also installed a voltmeter with 2 USB ports and another GPS (Garmin Drive 5) that I've had laying around. I bought this harness for the Garmin.

So, I have two GPS's, the voltmeter/USB and my Halocam camera system running off switched ports of the FZ-1. I've still got my heated gear and SAE harnesses, but I left those two wired direct to the battery, both are fused. Good to get all that wired in and all my wiring cleaned up, routed and connected properly. FWIW, that voltmeter reads identical to my DMM (at the battery) at both off (~12V) and running (14.3V).

I got the FZ-1 installed. I'm using the switched accessory plug to fire it. I also installed a voltmeter with 2 USB ports and another GPS (Garmin Drive 5) that I've had laying around. I bought this harness for the Garmin.

So, I have two GPS's, the voltmeter/USB and my Halocam camera system running off switched ports of the FZ-1. I've still got my heated gear and SAE harnesses, but I left those two wired direct to the battery, both are fused. Good to get all that wired in and all my wiring cleaned up, routed and connected properly. FWIW, that voltmeter reads identical to my DMM (at the battery) at both off (~12V) and running (14.3V).
Where did you install the box? Do you have any or are there any instructions on installing and mounting this?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I installed a FZ-1 under the rear seat around where the tool pouch goes. I velcroed mine to a MCL bracket (no longer available) . It would be just as easy to attach to the area the tool pouch is at.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Where did you install the box? Do you have any or are there any instructions on installing and mounting this?
On my ST1100, I installed it in the back under the seat. It's not attached to anything. I just bundled the cables together and put it in a plastic bag.

Top Bottom