Fuse block for motorcycle

Bike
ST1100AY
For those with an ST1100 who put the fuse/distribution box at the rear and then ran cables all the way forward can I ask how much room you found for the extra cables along the wiring loom, or put another way, how many 14AWG cables do you think you could comfortably run .

Also, do you think there is room to run 3 x 10AWG from back to front

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
For those with an ST1100 who put the fuse/distribution box at the rear and then ran cables all the way forward can I ask how much room you found for the extra cables along the wiring loom, or put another way, how many 14AWG cables do you think you could comfortably run .

I ran my cables along the outside of the loom, not within. Just used zip ties to tie to the loom.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
On my ST1100 I mounted the Amplink where the old main fuse went so I didn’t need to run large wires back and forth.

However, there is so much room (relatively speaking) between the tail and the fairing, that I don’t see any issues running any number of wires to and fro.

I bought pre made wiring harnesses from www.easternbeaver.com.
Great outfit to deal with, for sure. We’re considering changing our business model in the post Covid 19 world and putting some sort of eCommerce or online presence in place. In which case, we would hopefully become a certified (certifiable?) forum vendor of similar products.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have used the Easternbeaver PC8 on my past 4 bikes. The made-up harness and all fittings have proven very high quality, to me. I would by another today if I were looking for a power supply box.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I find the FZ-1 fuse block to be lacking. It has a rather restrictive total amperage capacity of only 30 amps. More importantly, none of its circuits have a capacity rated higher than 10 amps That is not sufficient to run a set of decent horns for example.

The Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block has a total capacity of 60 amps. Each individual circuit has a rated capacity of 20 amps, which is a much more reasonable limit for accessory circuits.
The extra capacity will also allow for any future electrical additions not thought of or expected to be installed initially.

They are both about the same physical size as well but I think the Eastern Beaver is cheaper.
There are also many options available from Blue Sea at reasonable prices.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
The m and Neutrino devices really do have some interesting and technically cool feature sets. Certainly the m allows for some really cool setups, especially in the custom world. In discussions with clients we call these the really smart, geeky boxes.

Devices like the Amplink or the PC8 we talk about being somewhat smart and very flexible. Obviously the Bluesea and that style are unfairly labeled dumb boxes, since anything fancy will sit outside the box.

So depending on the comfort level the client has with gizmos and automation etc. usually plays a significant part in determining which goes into the build.

Each to their own, as they say!

Bike
ST1100AY
The m and Neutrino devices really do have some interesting and technically cool feature sets
Thanks for highlighting the neutrino disribution box, very nice. here is a nice magazine article about one of their units Neutrino

Top Bottom