Garmin 2730 XM Question

I am very pleased with my 2730 for GPS and MP3 capabilities.....I am now debating whether to hook up the XM antenna and subscribe. I am contemplating mounting the antenna with velcro on the brake reservoir.....2 questions: Is this a good mounting location and are any of you satisfied / dissatisfied with the XM aspects of the unit?? Thanks for the info............

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've been using a Cyclegadgets antenna bracket which fits between the Garmin mounting bracket and a RAM mount. The disadvantage is every time I attach the GPS to the RAM ball on the bars, I have to make sure I get the angle right to avoid hitting the windshield. So in retrospect velcro on the reservoir might be a better way to go. But any way you can mount the antenna reasonably flat should work fine.

I think the Garmin XM antenna is expen$ive, but the 2730 does provide audio mixing of the XM and GPS, which would otherwise require yet another external box, like an Autocom or Amplirider. I also subscribe to the XM Traffic - it puts construction and traffic info right on the screen, and lets you route around tie-ups. Overall I've been pretty happy with the setup.

My wife and I are really hooked on XM's "Seventies on Seven" music channel - my wife is making buy a second XM receiver so she can listen while I'm away on the bike!

- Jim :04biker:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am very pleased with my 2730 for GPS and MP3 capabilities.....I am now debating whether to hook up the XM antenna and subscribe. I am contemplating mounting the antenna with velcro on the brake reservoir.....2 questions: Is this a good mounting location and are any of you satisfied / dissatisfied with the XM aspects of the unit?? Thanks for the info............
I mounted the XM antennae on the brake reservoir and have been happy with the install for 30,000 miles on the bike. It is a clean, uncluttered installation and it allows me to remove the antennae for use in the car on a moment's notice. The diameter of the antennae is just about that of the reservoir as you can see in the picture below.

When I set mine up I did not want to attach velcro directly to the underside of the antennae. It can get sticky from oozing adhesive on a 130 degree car dashboard so I cut a circle out of aluminum that matched the antennae diameter. The velcro is attached to the piece of aluminum. In the underside of the antennae are two 3mm holes tapped for fine thread machine screws. I drilled and countersunk matching holes in the aluminum base so I can screw the base to the antennae. Best of all it was free stuff I had lying around except for the two screws.

OP
OP
Thanks so much for the replies..........I'm hooking it up today!! One more farkle!! Afterall, I'm learning you can never have too many!!

I bought the antenna extender cable and actually put mine in my top box under the carpeted panel. It gets great signal, is away from the handgrips, and requires no special mounting equipment. Even works great when stuff is loaded in the top box and over it.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I use the 2730/XM all the time on the ST and love it. The "puck" antenna is magnetic so you should be able to stick it onto any metal part. I have mine on the dash shelf.

I'm a channel 25, "The Blend" addict. :D

What did you use to mount the 2730? I'm planning to purchase one and mount it between the handlebars. Also, did you need to purchase an additional cable to power it?

Guys, no additional mount needed. Get the extender cable, run it back from the 2730, put the Hockey Puck under the carpeted mat in the top box. Works fine, invisible, and almost zero chance of vandalism or theft.

I get great reception that way!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
What did you use to mount the 2730? I'm planning to purchase one and mount it between the handlebars. Also, did you need to purchase an additional cable to power it?
In my case I purchased a Garmin Motorcycle mount which came with a power cable (no connector). This mount is plastic but has a locking screw with a Torx-like head they provide a special screwdriver. Then the mount screws onto a RAM ball, and I use a RAM arm with a locking knob on it. Keeps it safe from casual grabs, but YMMV.

The RAM plastic GPS mount has no provisions for a lock, the GPS just snaps in. The Touratech aluminum mounts can be had with a lock on it, but IMHO they're kind of expensive for the degree of security it provides - someone can still pry, unscrew, etc. if they really want your GPS. You still have to make some sort of adapter plate to mount the Touratech - or use a dash shelf.

Between the bars most guys are using either the helibars or motorcyclelarry bar risers with a ram ball in the center. MCL also makes just the bar cover with a hole for a RAM ball. Or some people homebrew their own. I use the RAM Ball mount that goes onto the clutch master cylinder bolts.

- Jim :04biker:

Top Bottom