Garmin GPS model that will take a gpx file from Tyre

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I don't want to hijack another thread that I just saw, so I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a new Garmin GPS that will take a gpx file from Tyre to Travel and import it into the Garmin? I have an older Nuvi but it does not have this function.
I want to set up a custom route with all the way points that I added and not a fastest or shortest route.

Thanks!

I really don't know the Garmin line, but what little I do know is the Zumo's do this. If any of their other models accept a micro sm card, you might be able to load a gpx. file to that and then access it on the gps' screen once the card is inserted.

If you can download a gpx. file from any website to your computer, you can modify the route using BaseCamp and then load it onto a Zumo.

Any unit that will accept files created on a computer will accept .gpx files from Tyre. The trick is finding a unit that does this. Many of the newer automotive units do not. ie. They will only compute point A to B.

As for Tyre.....yes it has ceased to exist but its creators have another, web based, planner that works very well and can easily tranfer routes created on it to a GPS unit (if the unit is capable of receiving them).
The new program is called MyRoute and can be found here.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/about-myroute-app/

Use the new & improved Tyre to Travel called My Route App. It's free or there's a paid version which offers more bells and whistles. I also just responded to the other thread with other information.

Skip

Just thinking about an experience I had a year or two ago...I had been using a Garmin Nuvi 2595 for awhile with no problems but when it stopped working I purchased another Nuvi that I now don't remember the model but it took a GPX but didn't have the waypoints which is useless to me. I returned it and ended up finding a new 2595 on ebay and used it until I recently switched to a Zumo. The Zumo was doing the same thing as my other new gps until I was told to use the 1.0 version of GPX that is offered as a download from MRA.

Skip

I used the Tyre Travel site for a brief time and then their team brought out the MyRoute web site and app. I’ve used MyRoute for a while now and generally pleased with the results.
By far, it’s easier to create your route on the web site and then download to your Garmin device. Mine is a Zūmo 395LM.
jfheath’s waypoint comments are well taken. After downloading the route into the Garmin unit, it will calculate the route through the waypoints in sequence based on the options set in the GPS unit. It’s best to define a few extra waypoints to ensure the route as calculated is what you want.
Fortunately, if you subscribe, the MyRoute web site will allow a Garmin option when defining the route.
All in all, I find the MyRoute site used in conjunction with the Garmin unit to be very satisfactory.

"....You would be introducing all sorts of issues if you transferred a gpx file from Tyre direct to the Zumo ....."

This comment puzzles me. I have created literally hundreds of routes using Tyre and more recently MyRout-App. I have simply transferred those .gpx routes to a Zumo (various models) and have experienced very little difficulty with the routing of the GPS units. Once in a while, the Garmin gps unit will try to do something that is not on the original route (take a bypass for instance) but overall, it is rare. I am careful, however, to try and put 'waypoints' in the route that literally force the routing to use a specific road. ie. usually put a point at the beginning and the end of each road segment. Maybe that is the key but to be honest, I can create a route that has only 20-25 'waypoints' on MyRoute-App, transfer it to a Zumo and it will follow the routing, for all intents and purposes, 100%. I have attached a couple of examples. I created these routes in MyRoute-App and loaded directly into a Zumo and it followed them almost 100%.

I have been using Tyre since it first was introduced and I was a beta tester for MyRoute-App and can honestly say, I have experienced little issue with transferring .gpx files directly to Zumos.

I will be the first to admit that I don't begin to understand the machinations that go on inside a GPS but I am pretty comfortable creating routes, transferring, and then using them.

BTW- my comments apply equally to a TomTom unit that I still use frequently.

Attachments

• Deadwood long loop.gpx
    441.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4b ander-zernez via st gottard-stbernadino-splugen- st moritz 270.gpx
    411.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
"....Fortunately, if you subscribe, the MyRoute web site will allow a Garmin option when defining the route. ...."

A very useful tool in the MyRoute app is the ability to overlay routes creatd using various maps. eg. Osmand, Garmin, TomTom and Google and you can see where the various "maps" may differ with any given routing. It then is very easy to adjust the route so that all coincide.

Last edited:
My bad. I attached the 1.1 file instead of the 1.0 file.
Give this one a try and see if it works better for you. I created 20 routes using MyRoute-App for my last trip to the Alps. I used a Tomtom GPS and my riding partner used his Zumo 550. I loaded both units myself, via USB attached to my computer, and they both worked great. Virtually identical routing and instructions.
Yes, I loaded the 1.0 version of the routes. I have both versions on my computer and inadvertently attached the 1.1 version to my post.
Here is the 1.0

Yes, the 1.1 tends not to work in the common Zumos.

Attachments

• 4b ander-zernez via st gottard-stbernadino-splugen- st moritz 270.gpx
    405.3 KB · Views: 2
Question for you John.....is the Here (MRA Navigation/Garmin) map that you can select when creating a route with MRA the same map that is utilized by the Garmin GPS units?

...Alternatively, the Tyre software may just transfer the actual key points of the route - the things that you call the 'way points'.
If it does that, then the Garmin may calculate a route which takes you through each of the individual 'way points'. But it may not. And although I could describe the exact circumstances when it will and when it won't, they are particularly difficult to predict. So the end result is that the Garmin will randomly completely ignore all of your 'Way Points' and just calculate a route from the start to the finish...
That's my limited experience with mapping software and transferring GPX files. Then also I installed some GPX files created by another rider and my Garmin 595 asked if I wanted to recalculate. I said yes, since I wasn't picking up the first stop as planned...and it then used my own preferences and I doubt the route was the same any more.

My solution has been to use any mapping software...and then plot the route directly into my 595. I force the GPS to use the route I want, based on "waypoints" that I decide. Sometimes it is an address just past a turn, forcing the GPS to make the turn before proceeding on to the next leg of the route. Other times, like in the wide open areas of the western USA, it is enough to plot a route based on where my next gas station stop is. It seems far quicker that way, and there's no misinterpretation of the route by the GPS when it imports a file.

Chris

Wow thanks for the wealth of information. I have looked at the Zumo's online yesterday and they are very expensive in Canada. Thanks for all the links and info as this helps a lot.

Check for refurbished Zumo models. I bought my Zumo at the Garmin Factory Outlet store for hundreds less than the new MSRP. I think you'll find their stock changes often, so if you decide to postpone a purchase, check back later.

Garmn is not the only game in town, and I noticed the prices there are not as expensive as a couple years ago when I bought my refurbished 590LM. Another option is the TomTom GPS. While Garmin is the major seller in the USA, TomTom is the major GPS device sold in Europe.

Also, TomTom has an app you can install on your smartphone that works extremely well. It'd be worth looking into.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom