Garmin Zumo 595

Hello! I am new to this forum and recently bought a Garmin Zumo 595. The garmin instruction manual is vague and not too helpful. Is there a more detailed manual out there that is more helpful to get started with this gps system? Thanks for any help! - Barb

I used to own a 595. Thought it was a great replacement for my 550.

The full Zumo 595 manual is available for download online.

For specific issues, you might look at https://advrider.com/f/ and search for Garmin 595 and some specific keywords. Lots of experience on that board.

Hello! I am new to this forum and recently bought a Garmin Zumo 595.
Hi Barb:

Welcome to our forum community.

John Heath's article about how to use the Garmin navigators (post #4 above) is well worth reading. But the very best way to figure out how to use your new Zumo is to find another rider who has a Zumo (or any Garmin "Nuvi" model GPS, because they have the same user interface) and spend an hour with them, with the experienced user giving you a global overview of how to use the device.

I'm going through a similar process to you right now: After 20 years of using Garmin devices, I bought a TomTom Rider 550 last month to use on a trip to Tunisia. I only bought the Rider because TomTom has better maps of Tunisia than Garmin does. Although I am very familiar with using GPS based navigation devices (heck, before I retired, I was responsible for designing and flight-testing aircraft navigation systems), it has been quite difficult for me to figure out how to effectively use the TomTom.

The challenge for both of us (you with the Garmin, me with the TomTom) is to figure out the 'big picture' - to understand how the user interface on the device is laid out, and how to accomplish common tasks. Once you get the big picture, the 'global overview' figured out, all the rest of the details fall into place and are easy to learn. Hence my suggestion that you find another person who is familiar with the Zumo to orient you to it.

Michael

New England Riders (search and go to their website) has a how to use BaseCamp to plot your route, and then use it on your GPS. You will need to be familiar with both BC and your Zumo.

New England Riders (Ed) did a great tutorial.... also check out the Zumo forums. And let's not forget jheath and other members here have a number of threads that may be very useful.

Back
Top Bottom