Garmin Zumo 665

STOC #
Not sure this is a Zumo issue, but when talking on the cell while riding a test run, you could not hear me. Person said it sounded like engine noise and not wind noise. I was running the Zumo on battery and the headsets are blueooth. Cell phone sits in the right faring pocket plugged into the cigarette lighter. Any ideas?

FYI: I could hear the GPS direction fine, in fact I had to lower them some. I have found in the past, that some Bluetooth headsets are worse than others.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not sure this is a Zumo issue, but when talking on the cell while riding a test run, you could not hear me. Person said it sounded like engine noise and not wind noise. I was running the Zumo on battery and the headsets are blueooth. Cell phone sits in the right faring pocket plugged into the cigarette lighter. Any ideas?

FYI: I could hear the GPS direction fine, in fact I had to lower them some. I have found in the past, that some Bluetooth headsets are worse than others.
I'm thinking since the phone is the only thing electrically connected to the bike, that's where the noise is coming from... but, I don't know enough about bluetooth to know if that's a good assumption.

I run my j&m cb, radar detector, zumo all connected to the bike's power.. my phone is usually not connected to power. I still getting a ticking noise but it's faint and I can still be heard. I have connected my phone to my powerlet in the trunk and it doesn't seem to make a difference..

Maybe the phone is too close to the engine and is picking up elec noise that way.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I had a lot of bluetooth phone issues. Sometimes I called and the other person just heard static and I couldn't hear them. Another time they could barely hear me and I had to yell but I could hear them. Sometimes it would voice dial and sometimes it wouldn't. So a lot of variability.

Curt

STOC #
Curt, that's exactly what would happen, I could hear them clear as day, but they could not hear me. Mellow, I think you're right, both power and sitting too close. I'll through it in my jacket pocket next time and give it another try. But all in all, the Zumo works better than my stock nav. Now to figure out where I want it. Lexie is kind of in the way if I put it in the center of the handle bars so I might be looking for a dash shelf soon.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
It's possible the phone is picking up RF but I then I would think you would be able to hear it too. There's no ground loop since the phone is bluetooth.

I've run my phone while plugged in and on battery. Both seem to have the issue.

Curt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I don't have a 665, but I had bluetooth/phone issues with my 550 until I bought the Garmin brand phone interface cable versus the radio shack stereo cables I was using before.

There's no explanation for it, but buying the branded cable from Garmin for an extra $20 seemed solve about 90% of my phone issues. :nuts1:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
More like "Back to the Future".:p: Take her to warp speed Mr Crazykz ! I just hope Curt has the plasma injectors alined.:duck:
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles an hour.... you're gonna see some serious sh..... (I can't say "it" or the sensors will get me :) ). Watch for yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfnAb11wKQc"]88 MPH

Curt

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
The XM antenna can be mounted under the front bodywork, under the windshield. You will never know it's there and plenty of room to mount it.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
With the XM mounted in this position, I've had no problem with interference with bluetooth or XM signal strength. I forgot to mention that.

STOC #
Thanks Bravo. I found a spot on the front there (under the body work.) I just had to reposition that curved tube and I stuck it there there with the tube sitting over it now.

Got all my wiring done this weekend, but had a few parts left over. Uh Oh!

Bike
93 ST1100
Will this unit work with the Scala Rider G4 headsets? I questioned Cardio about which GPS units will work with the G4, they mentioned the 660 but not the 665. Also can you plan routes with multiple stops on it?
thanks

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The 660 and 665 run the same firmware but the 665 has XM. So if the 660 will work the 665 will work.

Curt

Will this unit work with the Scala Rider G4 headsets? I questioned Cardio about which GPS units will work with the G4, they mentioned the 660 but not the 665. Also can you plan routes with multiple stops on it?
thanks

I am using the scala rider G4 and the zumo 665. So far, they are working pretty well together. I'm having some issues with volume between the nav and the xm, no matter how low I turn the nav, her voice is always booming over the headset, and the xm is not loud enough.

I do wish I could stream music from pandora or from my iphone/ipod music library like I did before I got the 665. Does anyone have a bluetooth solution for this? I know I can use the G4's hardwire feature for the ipod, the same way I used to use my old xm radio receiver into the headset. anyone? anyone? beuhler?

STOC #
Re: Garmin 660 (665) Group Buy

NavWeather is a different department... they will forward the request there.

On your unit, you can press the tools/settings/xm subscriptions option and it will show you your XM Channels and Data services:
Found it. Unit must be docked for the XM option to appear.

Top Bottom