Gas cap vent house

On my 2001 ST1100 every time I go to fuel it up when low I turn the cap and woosh lots of pressure built up I think the vent house may be plugged. Has anyone ever experienced this and where does the line run to?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The line runs all the way down to the bottom of the motorcycle and exits under the engine. It is very possible, and not uncommon, for the line to become kinked. You can test it by squirting water into it using a plastic syringe purchased from a drug store.

But, having said that, it is more probable that the blockage is in the cap, not the hose. Just disconnect the hose from the cap and ride around for a few days, see what happens when you next remove the cap. There is a procedure published somewhere here in our community that explains how to clean out the cap if it is blocked, but offhand, I'm not sure where that writeup is.

Michael

OP
OP
The line runs all the way down to the bottom of the motorcycle and exits under the engine. It is very possible, and not uncommon, for the line to become kinked. You can test it by squirting water into it using a plastic syringe purchased from a drug store.

But, having said that, it is more probable that the blockage is in the cap, not the hose. Just disconnect the hose from the cap and ride around for a few days, see what happens when you next remove the cap. There is a procedure published somewhere here in our community that explains how to clean out the cap if it is blocked, but offhand, I'm not sure where that writeup is.

Michael
Thanks for the information I will ride it with the vent hose unhooked and see what happens next fill up.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
This is normal. I'm surprised Michael didn't mention this. The cap vents pressure when it gets too high and also works in reverse, as not to create a vacuum in the tank as fuel is used. Occasionally, after a ride when the engine is hot, fuel vapour pressure inside the tank (being heated by the engine) will vent quite audibly, making a sound sometimes referred to as a farting sound or low pitched squeal.

Top Bottom