Gas gauge problem resolved

Bike
2004 ST1300
When I would fill up, the gauge would only read 3/4 full...as gas would be consumed it would start to work again as it got below 3/4. I ordered a new fuel unit set ($80) part number 37080-MCS-G00. It has a float on it and fits in the upper tank...Here is how you do it.
Siphon tank so no gas is in the upper tank...or drive it until you are at 2 bars.
Put on center stand...Take off seat.
Raise and support upper tank like you do when changing air-filter.
Look on the underneath side of the tank that you just raised...you will see it held into tank with 4 bolts....Take a picture of it.
Take off left side panel (small one just underneath seat.) 3 allen bolts. From underneath this panel you can unplug the fuel unit set.
Remove 4 bolts from the fuel unit set...carefully fish it out of tank, paying attention to how it came out.
Fish in the new one with the new o-ring that comes with it......all this took me about 2 hours...but I do stuff slow.
problem resolved...works good...hope this helps someone.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I may need to do this sooner or later, when I top off it takes it a bit to register that last bar. . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Can that "arm" be adjusted at all?

When I fill up it goes right to full bars but seems like it drops one bar pretty quick. Now I'll admit I don't know how many miles pretty quick is but I've always thought it drops a bar faster than it should.

I'm just curious, I don't think I would bother trying to tweak it to register longer on full bars but wondering if that's an option.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
There are ohm reading for full and empty part of the sensor. Mine screwed up and all I done was clean the part what gives the resistance. I used contact cleaner and rubbed it with fine scotch bright

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I should also add to wash the area with gasoline once your done using contact cleaner.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Davey1965
Bike
2004 ST1300
No, I did not see a way to adjust the arm unless you bend it a little. If you fill up on your sidestand you may not get it 100% full. an then if might seem like you lose your first bar quick.

Bike
ST1300
When I would fill up, the gauge would only read 3/4 full...as gas would be consumed it would start to work again as it got below 3/4. I ordered a new fuel unit set ($80) part number 37080-MCS-G00. It has a float on it and fits in the upper tank...Here is how you do it.
Siphon tank so no gas is in the upper tank...or drive it until you are at 2 bars.
Put on center stand...Take off seat.
Raise and support upper tank like you do when changing air-filter.
Look on the underneath side of the tank that you just raised...you will see it held into tank with 4 bolts....Take a picture of it.
Take off left side panel (small one just underneath seat.) 3 allen bolts. From underneath this panel you can unplug the fuel unit set.
Remove 4 bolts from the fuel unit set...carefully fish it out of tank, paying attention to how it came out.
Fish in the new one with the new o-ring that comes with it......all this took me about 2 hours...but I do stuff slow.
problem resolved...works good...hope this helps someone.

Bike
ST1300
Hi Davey,
Just fitted brand new upper sensor from Honda still stuck on three bars. Have you any pics from when you did yours ?

Top Bottom