Gas leak,, help

I'm changing the air filter and had to raise the gas tank. Now that I have the gas tank raised there is gas leaking out of the bottom of my bike. What is causing this and most imp. what do I need to do.....

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Seen it 2x before.
That hose is a good part to have in the parts bin... anyone buying a air filter sould have one on hand just in case.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably too late now but if the tank isn't slid back to the maintenance position before lifting the tank can slide forward when lifted and overstress and tear the connector hose between the upper and lower gas tanks.

OP
OP
THAKS, I'll check my hose. Thought my tank was only half full but it was FULL so maybe there is an overflow tube that the gas came out while the tank was in the up position. Since I lower it it has stopped leaking....
thanks

Bike
'03 ST1300
I was about to respond with the same idea you just posted. If there were a leak or tear, then the fuel would probably be visible looking under the tank quite easily. Especially if it stopped leaking once lowered. The overflow hose from under the fill cap.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I'm changing the air filter and had to raise the gas tank. Now that I have the gas tank raised there is gas leaking out of the bottom of my bike. What is causing this and most imp. what do I need to do.....
I've run into fuel leaking from the gas tank when I've had it raised, but only when the tank has been full (which is usually how l store the bike). When I've had less than 5 gal. in the tank l don't get any fuel leaking, when the tank is raised. I suspect it has more to do with the overflow vent, when the tank is full and tilted. This is my experience. The other cautions about the fuel hose being cracked or broken are still valid.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Best future bet is to get to the last, flashing bar on your gauge before lifting the tank. I do NOT recommend siphoning gas as the sensor is delicate and a tube could break it (DAMHIKT).

And, yes, time to replace the main hose and clamp. It'll take a but of patience to get that honking clamp reset right.

Top Bottom