Gas Leak / hose underneath tank

Bike
04 ST1300
The photograph shows one tool only. The source of the confusion, which I apologize for, is that the photo does not show all of the tool.

The tool consists of the handle assembly (with red rubber grips), a Bowden cable about 24 inches long, and the clamp-gripping assembly. The Bowden cable connects the gripping assembly to the handle. The handle incorporates a ratchet that maintains pressure on the clamp as you squeeze the handle.

Below is a photo that shows the entire tool.

Michael

Constant Tension Hose Clamp Pliers
flexible-hose-clamp-pliers.jpg
Thanks. You mentioned a price of $15. Where can I get it for that.

Bike
2005 st1300
OP
OP
easy rider
Bike
2009 STX1300ABS
Hello Martin:

There is a speciality tool available for cleaning the tube that runs through the middle of the upper gas tank of the ST 1300, from the fuel cap scupper hole to the drain nipple on the bottom of the tank. It's not advertised as a motorcycle tool, it's advertised as a tool to clean Bunn coffee machines.

The tool is a tightly-woven spring that is 20 inches long. It's not expensive (typically about USD $5 to $10), and it's a handy tool to have around the house because it is useful for cleaning out all sorts of tubes - evaporator drain pans on household air conditioners, rubber hoses, etc. You can buy one from a coffee machine specialty company. When using it on the motorcycle fuel tank, rotate (twirl) the spring as you insert it, this enables it to negotiate bends in the tube. You can stick it in to either end of the tube in the tank. It's also useful for cleaning debris out of small rubber drain hoses on the motorcycle.

For reference, here's a link to an advertisement for this tool: Bunn Coffee Maker Deliming Spring Tool

Michael

Coffee Machine Deliming Spring / ST 1300 Fuel Scupper Tube Cleaning Spring
Deliming Spring.jpg
Thanks for this.
Still waiting for my new tank.
My new fuel filter and packing base seal for the fuel pump has arrived but the tank is still on back order, been waiting ages.
So when it does finally arrive its also being delivered with a new fuel hose and clamps between the upper and lower tank just as a precaution.
I will be just happy when its all been done.
To top it off my headlight aim motor when replacing it no longer adjust the lights, sounded like something has broken in the headlight so i have bought a headlamp of e bay which is in great condition to replace and fix.

best wishes to everyone

Martin

Reactions: Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks for this.
Still waiting for my new tank.
My new fuel filter and packing base seal for the fuel pump has arrived but the tank is still on back order, been waiting ages.
So when it does finally arrive its also being delivered with a new fuel hose and clamps between the upper and lower tank just as a precaution.
I will be just happy when its all been done.
To top it off my headlight aim motor when replacing it no longer adjust the lights, sounded like something has broken in the headlight so i have bought a headlamp of e bay which is in great condition to replace and fix.

best wishes to everyone

Martin
Typical maintenance on any old item. Fixing one thing inevitable leads to fixing something else that wasn't broken when you started or found in the process.

Top Bottom