Gas Tank.... Yamaha 250

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have a 1973 Yamaha 250, that is in excellant shape, except that it started running bad and starting hard last year. Being no machanic, I took it to a Yamaha dealer and he told me there was alot of rust in the carbs, and he cleaned them, and said the tank needed to be coated or lined. Anybody run into this before? Easy job, any product better than the next? Looking into the tank, its looks ok, but darker gray spots here and there. Anyway thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. I know its a LONG way from my ST1300...

Bike
2007 ST1300
Yes, I have lots of experience with this....I am not a fan of lining tanks; unless you are a pro (and even then...) its hard to get right.
I like using muriatic acid to clean out the tank...Dangerous stuff for sure - so be careful. Then I use phosphoric acid (again - bad stuff) to convert the rust.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I used a pound of steel BBs in a gas slurry and rattled the tank until all the surface rust was powder; then, I rinsed a couple of times with more gas. After that installed a ceramic gas filter.
The Yamaha 185 runs great now and there isn't any rust in the gas filter...

If I had it to do over, after the steel BB rattle and subsequent rinses I'd use CLR (lime away type stuff) as it has phosphoric acid in it at a final rinse.

Top Bottom