Gasket Removal

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've pulled enought bikes and cars apart to have a healthy respect for gaskets keeping oil (and vacuums) in and dirt out. However, removing older paper and fiber gaskets that have bonded themselves to the metal can be a daunting task, especially when we have soft aluminum parts and steel dowel pins or bolt holes. Yesterday I removed two fiber valve cover gaskets from the aluminum covers by soaking them in carb cleaner, scraping, and more soaking. After the smell of the carb cleaner got to me, (I was doing this outside) I changed to soaking the covers in simple green. Neither was appreciably better at lifting off the gaskets and most was removed by scraping and scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad. This is different than using a gasket compound such as Permatex or RTV. The former will respond to noxious solvents and the latter usually just peels off.

Has anyone tried coating new fiber or paper gaskets with a release agent - perhaps anti-seize - to facilitate removal at a later time? Would this work against the sealing function of a gasket?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Have used PAM style cooking spray on fiber/composition gaskets in the past.
PAM is just a spray oil. I assume you spray the gasket before you assemble the parts. Does the gasket release easily later?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Removing the front cover gaskets off a ST1300 is a real PIA!

I use a gasket remover that works pretty good, although, it still requires applying scraping, applying, scraping, applying, etc., numerous times!

liquid gasket remover

DSC03720.JPG

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Has anyone tried coating new fiber or paper gaskets with a release agent - perhaps anti-seize - to facilitate removal at a later time?
I apply a thin film/smear of marine grease on the metal surfaces prior assembly.
For one will this hold the paper gasket in place during work, second will it come off real smooth in a couple of years/some K-miles from now.
But mind that this is actually counter active to the original idea of paper gaskets: installed dry they will swell from the inside upon contact with the liquid...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I always coat gaskets with high temp moly grease. I never had leaking issues and the gaskets come right off. I started doing this years ago when desert and enduro racing as you could remove a clutch cover by laying the bike over and reuse the gasket.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I give the gasket a thin layer of grease on both sides. I've done this on the 2010, 2004 #1 & #2 and the 2005. I started doing this on my V45 Sabres years ago, because I hated removing stuck gaskets.
I've never had a leak from any of them, and that after many miles! :thumb:

Top Bottom