Gaskets needed for Valve Check/Adjustment???

What supplies/parts are needed for checking/adjusting valves? When I pull the tupperware, I want to have everything I might need in hand, whether or not the valves actually need adjusting (unless economically unrealistic). The local dealer keeps shims in stock, so that won't be a problem. But I don't know about other needs such as gaskets, o-rings, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
You shouldn't need gaskets. The ones under the valve covers are reuseable. There's a funny tool that's shown in the shop manual for use on the cam chain tensioner, if you need to pull the cams to change shims. Apparently it's a do it yourself thing, as Honda doesn't list a tool number. I didn't need any adjustments until about 40K. If it's your first time, you'll probably wind up just checking clearances. Remember to record the numbers, so you can compare to next time.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The only thing that you need to replace when reinstalling the cams are the retainer sealing washers, P/N 90463-ML7-000, four per side. I have a full set in the valve check/adjust kit that I send around (see the Tools forum).

--Mark

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've reused everything each time. If you don't have any tupperware pins around, you might pick up a few. Seems like I always lose our break a couple.

Yamaha has a nice sealant for flexible gaskets that I used last time... Couldn't find any by Honda. No leaks and I'm past due on another check.

Off topic, watch that the rubber sheet that covers the valley is clear of your valve covers when you put it back together. I know of what I speak.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom