Gates T325, counterfeit timing belt or old stock?

Bike
Honda ST1100
Some time ago I checked the timing belt on the motorcycle I bought recently. With 160,000 km and no service history, I took the covers off to check the condition of the belt. Although it looks like new, I found that it was slightly weakened, I could rotate the cooling pump roller easily under the belt. I loosened the screw of the belt tensioning roller and let it stretch the belt. I tightened the screw back and reassembled the dismantled components. After doing this operation, I found that the engine did not heat up as quickly, the needle of the temperature indicator rising much more slowly. It is possible that, due to the widening of the belt, the pump was not activated enough. Then I decided to order another timing belt and I searched in different places, finding OEM or Gates T325 at different prices. In the country, locally, I found only one supplier whom I contacted and who informed me that this belt (Gates T325) is not in local stock and that it will be imported and wait for a week until I receive it.
Today I received the belt, packed in a plastic bag. It is marked "Gates T325", it is "Made in UK", it has a series of numbers and letters, but I cannot discover if it is original, how old and how safe. Is it worth taking the risk to install it? What do you advise me? I am also attaching a picture of what I received. Thank you.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST 1300
can you contact Gates UK by email/phone and ask if the 052 4 10 2DS is a date code and if so how do you read it. kind of like a tire manufacture puts a date code on tires ?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I was going to suggest the same as Mr. Ed. It would not be surprising if one of those markings indicates when they made it.

I would also suggest that you consider replacing the water pump at the same time. Might be a good idea to replace the idler and tensioner, or anything that high mileage takes a toll on that can cause a timing belt failure, as well. People with more experience than I with high mileage ST1100's can advise you about the necessity of that.

The reason that I suggest these things is because you do not want to end up in this situation;
Getting home when your bike breaks down - and you're 1,800 miles away!!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You do need to change the belt out of abundance of caution and check the water pump and pulley while you are in there. If there is any looseness or wobble, change them out. I did have a ST1100 grenade its engine at 132,000+ miles from a water pump (above thread), but then I've got one with 172,000+ miles and no problems at all. And another one at 123,000+ miles and no problems. Not bad insurance to change it out but that is no guarantee that it still can't go south on you if the 'new' pump happens to be weak or faulty.

Bike
R1200rt
It's not the belt that goes bad, it's the water pump or idler bearing. When either one of those get loose they pull the belt off line. The belt gets shredded and slips off the pulley or gets loose enough to jump. That equals disaster. The old timing belts had square teeth that would shear off. The newer rounded teeth last.

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
Yesterday I started to replace the belt with this one. That is not so scarry and hard work, but need more attention and patience. I hope finish the job today.

can you contact Gates UK by email/phone and ask if the 052 4 10 2DS is a date code and if so how do you read it. kind of like a tire manufacture puts a date code on tires ?
I don't found contact page for Gates UK, only Gates from Luxenbourg or Belgium. I contacted them from contact page and wait for answer.

You do need to change the belt out of abundance of caution and check the water pump and pulley while you are in there. If there is any looseness or wobble, change them out. I did have a ST1100 grenade its engine at 132,000+ miles from a water pump (above thread), but then I've got one with 172,000+ miles and no problems at all. And another one at 123,000+ miles and no problems. Not bad insurance to change it out but that is no guarantee that it still can't go south on you if the 'new' pump happens to be weak or faulty.
I checked all moving parts: camshaft pulleys, crankshaft pulley, water pump, idler pulley and bearing, same at tensioner pulley. There are no noise, no looseness or wobble, no free play, no shred on these and move smooth.
Anyway, it seems that the interior has been worked on, maybe a previous owner or mechanic replaced the belt because the rollers had paint marks. Although I have traveled about 3000 km, since I bought the motorcycle. The replaced belt, placed on table, almost keeps the shape it has mounted on the engine, which strengthens my belief that this motorcycle has been stored for a long time before.

Top Bottom