Gates timing belts for ST1100

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
What about an oem from Honda? Only cavat would be how old is the stock unit.
I think Honda were only obliged to make spares for the st untill 2010 so if the belt was made then it would be already at least 8yrs old and I think I read somewhere that they had a shlf life of 5-7 yrs.
My experience with one major automotive manufacturer (Volkswagen) and my experience as an employee at a major aircraft manufacturer has been that the OEMs are quite careful about culling out and discarding any time-expired or soon to time-expire spares that they have in inventory at their warehouses.

I recall that about 10 years ago, when I was moderating a forum for a rare model of Volkswagen, a marketing manager from VW contacted me and advised me that VW had 50 sets of snow tires in stock that would be time-expired in 3 years (in other words, they had been manufactured 3 years earlier) and that they could no longer ship these tires from their warehouses to dealers. He offered our forum members 50 free set of tires (shipping costs to the nearest dealer included) on the understanding that the tires were 3 years old, not brand new.

Similarly, when I worked in engineering flight test for an aircraft manufacturer, our stores people were constantly putting out stacks of lubricants, O-rings, stuff like that on the "freebee" table in the lunchroom, in case employees could make use of these soon to TX supplies for their hobby use.

For those reasons, I would feel confident ordering a timing belt from Honda, provided that the dealer sourced it from the warehouse and not from new old stock in their own back room.

Michael

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If I understand the OP's comment that he's already encountered suspect Gates belts twice (not sure what he really meant in his reply), extreme low price with free shipping would seem to be red flags.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good luck !! Let us know if you hear back from Gates.

Every once in a while, someone buys out the stock of a business that is closing and then turns around and sells the stuff at a low mark-up to make a quick profit. For $13.65 I would gamble and just for S & G's , buy a belt to to see if there is a date code on the box or belt. But even if it a NOS item, if it's in a box or not, it's probably been protected from direct UV light and I don't see how it could go bad considering there are 25 year old OEM belts still installed and spinning. It's the mileage fatigue factor that is the issue IMHO.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Considering the TB gets replaced once every 20 years on average for this forum, saving $30 on what is probably a cheap Chinese knock-off doesn't seem like a good gamble to me Jim. On a less mission-critical part, sure, but not the TB.

Speaking of gambling, I think I've saved enough by not ever changing the final drive O-rings for 21 years that my TB was essentially free :biggrin:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Doug : If it wasn't a "Gates" belt, I would agree. I would order one just out of curiosity.

You haven't replaced the O-rings yet ???

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Doug : If it wasn't a "Gates" belt, I would agree. I would order one just out of curiosity.
Just because it says Gates on the belt or on the box doesn't mean its not a Chinese knock-off. That, combined with the OPs mention that Gates is taking measures to identify genuine belts with QR codes and serial numbers would suggest they may have had previous experience with counterfeits, otherwise why go through the extra work and expense to do that. You may be right about the closed business scenario, but that's not enough incentive for me to gamble the health of my engine to save a few bucks.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Doug :
I agree, but being retired and having too much time on my hands, I need to find stuff to do to keep me out of trouble. If I could make some changes to my budget, I might buy the belt just to check it out, motivated by curiosity.

And, who knows, maybe most timing belts today are made in China for the brand name companies, and the cheapo belt may be just as good or exactly the same as a belt costing 3 times as much. And maybe the QR codes and serial numbers is just a marketing ploy by Gates to get us to buy a "Genuine Gates Timing Belt", or to CYA as far as liability is concerned. Or maybe it's a new QS-9000 requirement they have to meet.

The fact is a lot of high quality parts are now made in China, like the alternator I bought. It was identical to the OEM unit. I don't get too concerned anymore when it says Made in China, Korea, Ireland, Israel, etc. if the part looks like a quality part. Ya, I bought a thermostat for my Jeep at O'Reilly's last year that was made in Ireland.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
st1100 + sidecar
Thankyou for your very interesting replies. I have not as yet had a reply from Gates. The reason I am replacing the timing belt is the opportunity: my radiator failed and put aluminium fragments into the cooling system writing off the water pump seal. What sort of flushing would you guys recommend to get all the particles out, I am replacing the water pump. The previous two belts I bought £10 each came with no packaging just a black plasitic postage bag!! When I do eventually buy a genuine Gates belt with QR code and serial number I will post pictures of all three belts for your inspection. Also I removed the thermostat housing and gave it a shake - it rattled. Turns out the thermostat was loose in the housing, also the interior of the housing was almost black - luckily I have a spare. Old one on right, could this colour be relaeted to the radiator failure?

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I think the coloration change is just due to oxidation. The rust inhibitor of the antifreeze may have deteriorated, or maybe over time / mileage that is normal. I wouldn't worry about that. I would clean the corrosion off the elbows, tho.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I just bought the cheapo EBay $19 "Gates" timing belt. After I receive it and evaluate it, I'll report what I think of it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If I knew you were in the market for a cheap timing belt, I'd have sent you my old one for free. :biggrin:

It probably looks about the same as any other new belt if you ignore the painted part numbers.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Now you tell me that after I ordered the new belt !!

I will examine the construction and come to a conclusion. It should be worth the $19 to satisfy my curiosity and keep me occupied in a constructive manner, for a period of time. I'm betting it will be a quality replacement belt.

Friendly Suggestion : If you would like to do the same Doug, you could remove your rear tire, inspect the wheel bearings, and finally replace those o-rings ( don't forget to lube the splines with moly grease ). Maybe even disassemble the rear caliper, remove the piston & seals and clean the seal grooves, and re-assemble using silicone dielectric grease in the seal grooves and coating the piston ( re-use the old seals ).

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Ha, I know that's just driving you crazy, isn't it? When I'm ready for a new tire and the wheel has to come off anyway, then we'll see how things look. Don't forget, I went something like 18 years without buying any moly paste, what's the hurry on the O-rings? When I finally bought the moly paste, Honda discontinued it about 6 months later, there's no telling what might happen if I replace the O-rings.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good idea and that's an interesting request. I heard of a guy in the UK who had a friend that traveled to Detroit on a regular basis for business. He had his friend stop in at "Triumph Only" ( now "British Only" ) in the Detroit area ( used & NOS parts for all British bikes ) with a list of parts he needed for his Triumph. I bought some good used transmission gears there years ago for my 1971 Bonneville. He also told me there were a greater number of Triump's exported to the US than bought in the UK.

If a person was traveling to the UK, they could buy, say, 25 Gates timing belts in the US and then set up a table outside the airport baggage area and sell them for a decent profit to help pay for the beverage bill accrued on the plane.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I just bought the cheapo EBay $19 "Gates" timing belt. After I receive it and evaluate it, I'll report what I think of it.
Received the $19.01 belt today , ( including shipping ) from RTG Automotive LTD, in Leyland, UK . It is marked "Gates T325" , "Made in UK" and then the code "2 45 8DS 057" (??). Came loose in the plastic shipping package.

It looks like a well made, good quality belt to me. I'd use it without a second thought.

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I think I've saved enough by not ever changing the final drive O-rings for 21 years that my TB was essentially free :biggrin:
Doug:

You no longer need to change those O-rings. After 21 years, they have probably metamorphosed into solid carbon, and now they will never wear out. :)

Michael

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Doug:

You no longer need to change those O-rings. After 21 years, they have probably metamorphosed into solid carbon, and now they will never wear out. :)

Michael
you know, that's an interesting idea. I suspect they actually produce moly as they age and have become self-lubricating.

Jim Van felt sorry for me and sent me all 3 rings, but they're properly aging in a drawer until they will be ready for use at the next tire change.

Top Bottom