Gavia Pass 1 (Italia)

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The road is really nice, but the rider is nuts!

[video=youtube;n0Szuf9HQko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Szuf9HQko[/video]

Rode this a few years ago. Only difference; rode it down and it was so foggy at the top you could only see about 20 ft in front. Given the drop offs, that was probably a good thing.
Like stated above, I see nothing wrong with his riding. That is the way you ride those narrow roads and other users expect you to do it. It all works and is quite safe.

Rod

And you doubt his mental state because??
First, I wasn't thinking anything derogatory wit the "nuts".
Although, he was riding (and passing) the way he's jeopardizing other riders and bicyclists.
I know action cams makes it looks faster then it actually is, but still...
IMHO.

Although, he was riding (and passing) the way he's jeopardizing other riders and bicyclists.
As so very often is there more then one POV to things...

I too can get quite annoyed when confronted with "caravans" of 15, 20, 25 bikes handled by incompetent folks, crawling along with agonising 10 to 20mph on roads that would be really enjoyable at 75 and more... sorry... MHO...
Those roadblocks in front, literally standing around them hairpins are so irritating, it brings my riding out of rhythm, thus its actually endangering...
The threshold is reached when even the pillion starts moan heavily about what's going on ahead... not once that I actually cancelled the ride on this or that pass in search of a detour over a less crowded, completely different route...
I hate and avoid bank holiday weekends as well as the high tourist season (and areas!) over that very reason... it just has no fun anymore when those "flatlanders" invade the Alps...
And I'm actually happy when there is rain, fog, drizzle, the whole program... cause then the roads are clear and enjoyable again...

That the rider in the footage is a bit on the skittish side, lacks in shift/clutch timing, proper line, running wide in RHS hairpins, etc... is dully noted though...

As so very often is there more then one POV to things...

I too can get quite annoyed when confronted with "caravans" of 15, 20, 25 bikes handled by incompetent folks, crawling along with agonising 10 to 20mph on roads that would be really enjoyable at 75 and more... sorry... MHO...
I understand.
But I'm also getting frustrated when someone cut in and force me to slow down, to move left or right and/or stop looking at the scenery around...

But I'm also getting frustrated when someone cut in and force me to slow down, to move left or right and/or stop looking at the scenery around...
My point exactly...
Wanna gaze, pull over at a save place and gaze all you want... but don't do it while driving or stop at the most unsafe spot imaginable...
(Last time on the Grossglockner I had a Porsch Panamera with German plates stopping right in the centre of a hairpin... seriously?!... :mad: )

And pleeeze attend some safety training before going into this terrain... where the shoulder often is like 2ft from the abyss...

Back
Top Bottom