Gear Position Indicator on an ST1100

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Just as an aside, I did try to put this in ST1100 Tech, which is where I thought it belongs, but I don't have permission for that. So I'm putting it where I do have permission, in case it is of some use to someone else.

This is for adding a HealTech GI Pro X-Type with the WSS to an ST1100. This is available through the distributor, Blue Monkey Motorsports. (http://shop.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/)

This is not an incredibly complex system, nor a very difficult installation, but I had my moments when doing it, and so far it has limitations. This saga includes all the pitfalls I went through, and what I did to correct them. Read it all first, and your experience should be simpler.

Let me start by saying that I have this installed, and working, but just not working as well as I would like. In the calibration section, I’ll detail how things currently are, how I got them there, and where I intend to go from here. But let me say straight off that Blue Monkey’s support has been extremely helpful and responsive, to the one question I’ve asked so far, and I could probably have used them more to get to the root cause more quickly, but where’s the fun in that? I’ll get there………but that’s for later.

Here we go.

Installation:
In the box you should have (going from left to right in the pic below):
What's in the box.jpg

1. The Gear position Indicator, itself.
  2. The Wheel Speed Sensor, with mount
  3. And the connecting harness.

As I said before, this isn’t incredibly complex. The proximity sensor detects a pulse signal from the wheel to give a pulse train corresponding to a speed signal. (This can be from the ABS ring, or as I did, the heads of the rotor bolts, as long as each is evenly spaced). The frequency of this will be proportional to the speed of the wheel, and gets compared to a revs signal from the tachometer, to determine what gear is in use.
For access at the instrument binnacle you will need to remove the windshield, the garnish piece below it (black), and the two grey garnish pieces underneath it, and loosen the visor piece around the instruments.

Below shows how I stripped my bike down.
plastic off for work.jpg

The instructions that come with the unit (which I read after I had most of the install completed, of course, but more about that later) inform you that you can tap into existing ignition controlled power connections (and Scotch-Lok type connectors are provided for this), but having already added an extra fuse box, I was bound and determined to use it, so I ran my own power and ground from the fuse box to the instrument head.

Next, I saw a likely mounting point for the sensor on the front wheel, and quickly got the sensor mounted.
Sensor on front wheel.jpg

Next, I used a Dremel to grind a detent for the cable to pass through the visor, and mounted the GPI itself, running its cable back to the rear of the instruments.
Visor with cable.jpg GPI mounted.jpg

So with the sensor cable run up to the instrument area, the GI unit cable there, and a power cable there, all that remained was to introduce the connecting cable and make the necessary connections.
Electrically, there are three connections required to the bike.

1. +12Vdc
  2. Ground
  3. Ignition pulse generator signal. (Yellow Wire from ICM) Ensure a good connection here to prevent calibration issues. - Updated to correct, and add more detail.

This is when I began to look at the instructions, and saw the “FIT THE SENSOR TO THE REAR WHEEL” note…….whoops! So if you intend to fit one of these, don’t do as I did, fit it to the rear wheel.
Anyway, the instructions say to tap into the tach signal, but I saw that this was being taken to a screw terminal, so I crimped on a fork terminal, and piggy-backed it at the screw terminal on the instrument.
The Green/Black wire with red crimped terminal shown in pictures below.
Tachometer connection 1.jpg Tachometer connection 2.jpg

Updates: 11/3/15 & 11/23/15:
What I learned to finally get it operating correctly, was to switch the RPM signal source. DO NOT USE THE TACHOMETER SIGNAL for RPM input, use the Ignition Pulse Generator signal (Yellow Wire) from the ICM (LH Fairing, mounted vertically, inboard of the mirror housing).
While you can use one of the supplied connectors to splice into this wire with your Green/Black input wire, be careful doing so to ensure correct connection. Better to pull the ICM box out of the fairing, remove some insulation from the yellow wire, and solder the green/black to this to ensure proper connection. Ensure adequately insulated before refitting the ICM. (Sorry, didn't take pics when i did this)

I then connected the GI cable to its connection, the WSS sensor to its connection, and the power connections.
electrical connections.jpg

After that, it was tidy up, refit the Tupperware, and get ready to calibrate…….where the fun really begins.

Calibration:
Note: Carry this stage out with a warm engine.
With the bike back together, and all connected up, when the ignition is turned on, the system counts down from 6 through 1, and then goes into learning mode.
Theoretically, you let the engine idle, so the system can learn the idle point. The display reads “L” flashing slowly, then faster as it learns. Once it knows where idle is, the display switches to “1” informing you to go into first gear. The instructions then tell you to keep the revs at between two to four times the idle speed, repeating this with each gear in turn.
As with the “L” at idle, the gear number will flash faster while learning. When the gear is learned, the display will display “n”, and then go to the next gear.
So, if you have the sensor on the back wheel, you can put the bike on the main stand, and carry out this process simply. I, of course, knew better, and put it on the front, so had to ride the bike at that proscribed engine revs, to calibrate.
Now, I work with Proximity sensors every day, and am familiar there set-up, so I knew the signal would be more reliable looking at a “there/not there” set-up, as opposed to “there, slightly further away” scenario. Especially since the sensing range of the sensor is not given in the instructions. Therefore, when I first set the sensor, I had it looking through the connecting arms of the front rotor.
Sensor on front wheel.jpg
Off I went for a calibration ride. Calibration at idle went well, into first, and off we go………the one began flashing faster as I accelerate, and when I get to around 3K revs and hold it, the display, just spins around (cursor going round the outside of the seven segment display, in sequential order). I slow down, display goes to e “2”, I try again, similar results, can’t get it to calibrate above second gear.
After several attempts with no greater success, I return to my garage. Instructions say that the spacing of pulses must be even. Where I had it could give uneven pulses. Instructions recommend looking at the head of the rotor bolts.
I realign the sensor to the rotor bolts, and off for another calibration ride. Several attempts, with similar results as before. So perhaps the bolt heads are not proud enough, and the sensor could be detecting the disc as well as the bolts. I put lock washers on the bolts to bring the heads more proud.
More calibration rides, same results.

Back to the garage, and I move the sensor from the front wheel to the rear.
Sensor on rear wheel.jpg

Unfortunately, when I try the calibration process, I’m getting the same result. But without having to keep an eye on the road, I’m able to observe more with what’s happening. I go through the same exercise with bolt heads, but making them more proud gives potential for interference with the caliper. So the washers come back out.

I also contact customer service to find the sensing range and frequency of the sensor.
I am told that the max frequency is 8.5 KHz, which allows the sensor to be used on ABS rings, which would be great if I had one. But with six bolts to be sensed per revolution, with the gearing of the 1100, even at 7k revs, I shouldn’t be exceeding the capability of the sensor. I also learn the max sensing range of the proximity is 1.5mm. So I adjust the sensor using feelers, to be 1.2mm from the bolt heads.
Theoretically, the bolt heads should be detected, but the disc will be too far away to be observed.

With the sensor on the rear wheel, the calibration is much simpler, so #1 tip for this is FIT THE SENSOR TO THE REAR WHEEL.
The system will, and does calibrate, but not at “between 2 and 4 times the idle speed”, it calibrates at about 1900-2000 revs (so call it 1950). My bike is set to idle at just over 1K (around 1050rpm), so calibration is occurring at 1.85 times the idle speed. But I can calibrate in all five gears.

Take the bike for a quick test ride, and the gear indicator works perfectly…………………….as long as I stay between 1000, and 2000revs. As soon as I go over 2K, the display just shows a central horizontal line.

So, the indicator serves its main use (telling me whether I’m in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], or 1[SUP]st[/SUP] if I’m stopped, or stopping at a light, looking for a neutral), but I also occasionally find myself in 4[SUP]th[/SUP], when I should be in 5[SUP]th[/SUP], so it would be useful to see the gear throughout the rev range.

I still need to use the bike, so I’ll leave it for a bit, as it is useful as it is, but this will be revisited, to try to get the calibration improved, and get it working throughout the rev range.

I'll update again when I've got further with this. But for anyone who wants to see it, I'll be at DixieSToc this weekend.

Update 11/3/15:
With the sensor on the rear wheel, and the RPM signal taken from the Ignition Pulse Gen, calibration was quick and easy, and the unit was in full operation.
So tip #2 for this is to not use the Tach signal, but the Ignition Pulse signal (Yellow Wire) from the ICM.

Not that I wanted to spoil the rest of the thread for you, but if you're looking to fit one, you may want all the correct information up-front.

Update 11/23/15:
Now have a second unit fitted to my other ST1100 as well. Installation was fairly quick and easy on this, but I was in a hurry and rushed it. Connection at the ICM wasn't good, so I had to redo it. Much easier to remove the ICM to do this.

This is one of those things that once you've done it, you'll wonder how you rode without it before..........
Now to pluck up the courage to relocate then into the instruments themselves, to make it look like they were fitted by a professional, and not a 12 year old!

Last edited:

The Cheese

Oh wow. You really tried to get this working correctly. I hope you succeed in the end. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

I don't think this kit needs a magnet. I believe it "sees" the bolt heads.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I don't think this kit needs a magnet. I believe it "sees" the bolt heads.
This is what I wonder about... them steel-bolts sit sunken into quite massive steel rotors, how should a non-optical sensor recognize rotation/pulses?
The CC kit pick-ups do require a magnet to work... probably depending on what technology that proximity sensor uses.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
In this type of application, it's generally an inductive prox, which requires a metallic presence within the sensing range, to trigger an output.
So, on a 12v vehicle system, I'd expect a "1" to be 12v, and a "0" to be 0v. Theoretically,then when the bolt head is underneath the sensing head, a "1" will exist, and at other times a "0", so when scoped, a square wave pulse train would be observed. The fewer bolt heads per rev, the greater the g a p between pulses, and the faster the wheel speed, the higher the frequency, and narrower the pulses will be.

Going by what their customer service told me, the nominal r a net for this sensor is 1.5mms, with a recommended gap of 1mm. I set to 1.2mms (by feeler gauge), so theoretically, anything over 0.3mm behind the bolt head surface should not be sensed.

However, having said all of that, I have this bike with me at DixieSToc, and h having ridden with it for several hundred miles now, I can say it is all but useless, as is. But I'm far from giving up yet. I'm thinking of repositioning to look at the spines on the inner hub (coming out to the rotor mount), which are taller. I'm also looking at alternate sensors, ideally one with a tell-tale LED, to indicate when the output is active.

When I get home to try things, I'll update.......I will get this working.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Have you contacted their technical support folks? Who knows maybe you're doing everything right and have a defective unit?

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I did once, but will most likely do so again, it's just finding the time to do it, and having my ducks in a row when I do.

I haven't ruled out all possibilities of it being a set-up error, yet, and being as I'm normally the guy on the OEM end of a tech support call, I like to ensure that I've exhausted all the simple things before taking others time.
I think there are three possibilities:
1) The sensor isn't detecting correctly (I doubt this as the system works perfectly between 1000-2000revs)
2) There is something I'm not doing correctly in the calibration process that is inhibiting the complete learning process. (Possible, especially at the last stage, since there is no 6th gear. So I need to re-cal fully, exactly to the instructions, and eliminate this).
3) the unit is defective.

I think one is eliminated, once I'm certain in my own mind two is, I'll consult with their tech support to see if there's something I missed, or if it's three.

Hopefully I can move things forward this week.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
What I don't get is you're saying the pickup measures bolts going by.... how does it know, how many it takes for one revolution?

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Jim Van,
That I don't dispute, but monitor from where? There's no easy way to do it.

I have no wish to pull the connector apart, and invalidate any warranty, but the sensor has a sealed cable, to a connector into the GI unit.
If Just break the connection, I remove power as well.
The only a way I see is to break the connection, determine which are the power and signal wires, and apply a remote power source. Then I could monitor the signal waveform.
Plus I'd have pull the front Tupperware, and cut the connector out of it's sealing, again.

It may come to that, but I've not yet exhausted other avenues yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
What I don't get is you're saying the pickup measures bolts going by.... how does it know, how many it takes for one revolution?
Simple. It doesn't know, or need to know.
Each bolt head initiates a pulse. When calibrating, the system tells you which gear to use. It has an input to tell the engine revs, and counts the number of pulses per second. Once it has a measured reference point for each gear, it can then extrapolate that into expected values for each gear, at each point in the rev range.
It stands to reason that the higher the gear, the faster the wheel will turn. So the more pulses per second.
After the calibration, the system can then say " I know I'm at "X" 'revs on the engine, and I'm getting "Y" pulses per second from the wheel, therefore I must be in " Z" gear, and displays that number.
If it was displays a speed, it'd need to know, but not just to determine which gear.

I think the problem I'm having is that above a certain rev range, it's losing a reliable count.
Now, the fact that these have been successfully installed in hundreds, if not thousands,of other bikes, leads me to believe that the internal math in the programming is good.
That fact that it works great below 2,000 revs, leads me to believe that the signal is good enough.
That's why I'm thinking it's either something in the calibration I'm doing (preventing it from extrapolating correctly to higher rev values), or a defective unit.

That help any?

That a

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Ah, that makes more sense to me - knowing a full revolution would only be needed if you were looking to determine your speed. And I saw on the page for the unit, you CAN put it on the front wheel, but it won't work as designed if the wheel leaves the ground.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
is there some input you must do, in order to exit the "learn mode" and into "normal mode"?
We're thinking along the same lines.

While the instructions are quite clear on completion of the process when you have six gears, much less so if you have five, or four. I think this may be where things are going wrong. I'm hoping to be able to get chance at-again tonight, and trying a different method of completion.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Ah, that makes more sense to me - knowing a full revolution would only be needed if you were looking to determine your speed. And I saw on the page for the unit, you CAN put it on the front wheel, but it won't work as designed if the wheel leaves the ground.

Having first fitted to the front wheel, I know it can work there, but the calibration process is much more straightforward if you put it on the rear. Trying to hold the revs at a particular level in the low gears, until it "learns" isn't as easy as it seems. They do recommend to "find a quiet road with a flat, straight, section long enough to allow you to calibrate", and while finding a long, flat, straight, piece of road isn't difficult in Florida, finding one that's quiet complicates things.

When you're going along at around 12-15 mph in first, trying to keep one eye on the tach, another on the GI, another on the road ahead, and a one on the traffic coming up rapidly from behind, life gets busy, and occasionally pucker inducing. AMHIK.

So I definitely recommend fitting to the rear, and doing the cal in the driveway/parking lot.

BTW, while fitting to the rear wheel on the 1100 isn't quite as straightforward as fitting to the front, it still isn't that difficult.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
BTW, while fitting to the rear wheel on the 1100 isn't quite as straightforward as fitting to the front, it still isn't that difficult.
You'll have to fab a bracket/holder rigid enough to prevent the pickup starting to touch the bolt-heads/rotor due any influences down the road, whilst still removable when taking out the wheel, replacing brake pads, etc...

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
You'll have to fab a bracket/holder rigid enough to prevent the pickup starting to touch the bolt-heads/rotor due any influences down the road, whilst still removable when taking out the wheel, replacing brake pads, etc...
Not my experience so far.

Of course, having said that, I only have around 1,700 miles on the mount as is, and it will require to be removed and refitted when the caliper is, but no fab required, the supplied bracket works.

Was it different for you when you fitted?

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Okay, so I got a chance to recalibrate this afternoon, and by trying a different finishing method, got the "o" indication, to signal calibration complete for the first time.

Getting excited, I went for a brief test ride............no change. Still perfect below 2,000rpm, nothing above.
I now believe I've exhausted set-up and calibration procedures as a cause.

So time for more experienced help, time to contact tech support.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Blue Monkey Tech Support confirms my symptoms are indicative of a poor speed signal.

Now I will admit that when I used feelers to set the gap, I only did so on two bolts. So time to check all six, and I think I'll reduce the clearance gap to 0.7-0.8mm, and see if that helps. If it makes no difference, I think I have a bad sensor.

I will say that I am very impressed with Blue Monkey's support. Their response time has been short, and their communications excellent.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Latest update.

I used a Vernier caliper to confirm the bolt head positions were not varying (all are 4mm +0.2mm/-0mm), and used feelers to check the sensing gap.
Reduced sensing gap to 0.75mm (+0mm/-0.2mm), no change in symptoms. Recalibrated, no change in symptoms.
Repeated the above process with a gap of 0.5mm (+0mm/-0.2mm). No change.

Suspect the sensor. I relayed this to Todd at Blue Monkey, who has passed everything onto Heal-Tech Engineering for their input. Let's see how HealTech does.

Update to the update:
Heal-Tech got back to me quickly. What they are saying is the opposite of previous information. Apparently, if the display is changing at the same engine revs, in all gears, the speed signal is okay, and it's the rpm signal which is not being received properly.

So tonight I will look at my tachometer connection (Yellow/Green), and possibly use an alternate signal (Ignition pulse generator, yellow wire), and see what difference this makes. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom