George's new trailer

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
That can't be George's bike... the left panier is reflecting light as if it was cleaned...

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
So the $64,000.00 question is: Does this one stand straight???? The old one listed heavily to starboard. Well, I take that back--it did stand straight--when the bike was on the kickstand......

I'm hoping he got the new hitch as well.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Larry has a good eye... well maybe not... I followed George from CreSToc to his place and that one listed a lot! :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice!.. love the missile launcher but I'd put it up higher and pointed towards the rear... just saying.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
George, how badly did you abuse or damage that other almost "Free"trailer? The other ones in use are all straight and true still after many thousands of miles.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
George, how badly did you abuse or damage that other almost "Free"trailer? The other ones in use are all straight and true still after many thousands of miles.

Gene, no disrespect for the original intended, but you you really think a rigid suspension was the way to go for George?;) I'm thinking Dan should just go ahead and get another wheel assembly made for him for after he goes trials riding with it.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Man, this is a tough crowd..

That looks like a nice simple lightweight trailer .

Did you make that yourself ?

If it lists to one side, isn't that so you can load the heavier stuff on the other side ?

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
We could never tell for sure whether the problem with the other one was the trailer or the hitch. Both seemed to be level by themselves. He used up the entire right side of the tire on the way back from NatSTOC & we had to stop in CO to turn the wheel around. The left side still had the nubs on it!!! Wasn't EVEN touching the road, even on left turns. I don't know if he ever figured out the problem. My suggestion was to just get a new trailer AND hitch. That way if the new one was out of plumb, something on the bike is awry. Seems like he had the trailer on more than one bike & still had the problem but I can't say for sure. Could have been just a tolerance stack-up with all being on one side.

There were other problems as well but that was the most significant.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Wow, didn't expect a whole new thread!

Trailer pulls good, Dan. No liST to STarboard. :D

The object on the curb is the box lid. It has made the whole trip so far.

Luv the peach water, no calories and lots of hydration. Karen, ya missed the CamelBak inside the tank bag. :D Lots of drinking goin' on, ah-huh-hu. :D
f
Don't know if I mentioned it earlier, left my 20 oz, coffee cup setting when I left home last Sunday. First opportunity to replace it was a Circle K in ??, AZ >>>---> 34 OUNCES of pretty good gas station coffee. So, I'm now just a 2-cup-a-day guy. :rofl1: Best part, they only charge me for a standard refill instead'a the thermos price. :D

Left pocket fits a McD's large sweet tea. Water on board in two places, previously mentioned 2-lite CamelBak and another 1/2 gallon jug in the right pannier. (Whew, never realized my drinking habits were of so much concern. :D)

Shiny pannier? Just "reflects" the strenght of the South Dakota sun! She hasn't been washed beyond the desert sprinkles she suffered in both AZ and CO. Missed all the t-storms floating 'round SD on Tuesday.

Many know about the serious list the previous trailer suffered from day one. Could never pin-point the cause. I did tweak the previous hitch the opposite direction which helped some but still wore out the tar on the right side.

HiSTory of failures:
First trip, by the time I got home with it last summer, the hitch had cracked at the base plate attachments, both sides. Original construction was with 1/2 round bar stock, not tuff enuff. I added 1" C-channel over the top and it has withstand further tests.
Spring trip, 2011, backbone failed causing the tar to drag inside the fender. Eventual fix (after a drift wood and nylon rope reinforcement!) required disassembly and re-weld, added gusset at a trailer shop in Southern Indiana.

After that, I added the RubberMaid box with the fender embedded. That worked a while but the RubberMaid wasn't thick enuff (compare to the new box!! :22yikes:) and it split apart above the fender on the way home from NatSTOC.

In addition, when I got home in early July, I found one of the support ribs from the backbone has broken it's weld.

Just turns out my style of riding was just too much for the non-suspended and fairly light weight construction of that trailer. Nothing against Khris' design as many others are faring much better.

Dan offered me his tank-construction trailer for a decent price, and with suspension and stiffer build I think it's gonna work a treat. The hitch is more rugged too. As I mentioned to him, tho, the weight of the hitch alone pretty much negates any savings I looking for in getting the load off the bike. :crackup.

Add in the tongue weight and I'm prolly over the top. As fate would have it tho, the new Austone Taxi Tar is rated for +1500 lbs so we don't have a problem, Houston. :D

Speaking of which, Mark weighed the wheel and tar, 46 lbs!! After our thrash on Wednesday night (5AM Thursday morning!), the ABS is working as well. Y'all need a buddy with a Bridgeport. :D
IMG_4331.jpg

The load capacity of the trailer is higher than the old one, what with the suspension and heavier build. It's needed tho cause that box prolly weighs more than me entire previous setup with gear on board! Also, its rigid as evidenced by this pic. :D (BTW, no pics of Aeryn riding it yet as she didn't have helmet with at gramma's yesterday evening. :D)
IMG_4336.jpg

So thanks to Dan for the opportunity and the hospitality. If ya ever need 'puter work done, just deliver it to his shop in Watertown, SD. :crackup
IMG_4326.jpg

Also, much thanks to Mark for the work on the wheel. He researched and worked to make the ring work on his bike, then repeated the process on mine. The Gold Wing wheel is the only option to put a car tar on the 11, as the swingarm width is too narorw for any of the available 17" car tars. The 175/55 or 60/16 is prolly best for most folks, but I'm really liking the 175/80/16 Austone tar. It's heavy but the added circumference moves the final drive ratio into real overdrive territory. Really relaxed ride at 75 MPH. Also the larger (130/70 'stead'a 120/70/18 front) helps too.

Guess I could'a got a Gold Wing. :rofl1:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have an issue with the isolastic suspension which doesn't seem to have plagued any of the others (yet!) It has sagged dramatically, the rubber pulling loose from it's housing. I've added a pair of 15" tarp straps to give it more capacity and that seems to be doing the job. It'll get me home but it's gonna need more work. Dan found out the PAIR of hubs are rated at 450 lbs, so 225 for one, plus he lengthened the swing arm which reduces the capacity even farther. It's just overloaded. Anyone considering this, please use a heavier unit, it needs to be able to handle probably 300/350 lbs.

Top Bottom