Ghost Camping

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Pondering this very topic right now. My son and I just returned from a 14mi round trip hike from Slab Camp trailhead to Grey Wolf camp in Olympic Nat Park.

Been a long time since I did anything thus foolish but my son insisted.

Now we're looking for a place to drop a tent in the Nat Forest or state land.

Full disclosure, we're riding tandem on a Subaru Crosstrek. No way could I pilot a two wheeler in my current state. After emerging at the trailhead I began aching in places I didn't know I had places.

On a motorcycling note, many years ago I did what you're doing on a cross country trip and had a great time full of stories. :)

Bike
R1200rt
Pondering this very topic right now. My son and I just returned from a 14mi round trip hike from Slab Camp trailhead to Grey Wolf camp in Olympic Nat Park.

Been a long time since I did anything thus foolish but my son insisted.

Now we're looking for a place to drop a tent in the Nat Forest or state land.

Full disclosure, we're riding tandem on a Subaru Crosstrek. No way could I pilot a two wheeler in my current state. After emerging at the trailhead I began aching in places I didn't know I had places.

On a motorcycling note, many years ago I did what you're doing on a cross country trip and had a great time full of stories. :)
national forests have many camp sites some free and most fees are reasonable. Plus if you have your Golden Age Pass it's 50% off

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A member of this forum (I don't recall who) posted his method for securing free stealth camping sites in a safe locale. See this post for the details.
You might find some of the information contained in that thread useful as well.

Bike
R1200rt
Careful though, the definition of "camping" seems to have "evolved"! Last time I used this site, late arrival and tired, sign right at the entrance said "no tents allowed".......RVs only.
This is just a reference, read the reviews, look at pics, see the website listed with the campground. Getting anywhere late doesn't guaranty a spot unless you reserved one. Do some research!

TPadden

Tom Padden
anywhere late doesn't guaranty a spot unless you reserved one.
When I was stealth camping regularly that was one of my tricks: arriving at state parks late, after they closed gates, camped right outside the park gates, and left early. Worked like a charm, no one ever bothered me. Then I got old; now I usually set up before sunset, and got an old guy pass. ;)

Tom

Bike
R1200rt
When I was stealth camping regularly that was one of my tricks: arriving at state parks late, after they closed gates, camped right outside the park gates, and left early. Worked like a charm, no one ever bothered me. Then I got old; now I usually set up before sunset, and got an old guy pass. ;)

Tom
I have not yet had a problem at national forests or blm's (yet) but at Popular National parks and at Moab better get there early.. Have you seen the restrictions and campgrounds they closed at Glacier NP? Its coming to all NP's

TPadden

Tom Padden
I have not yet had a problem at national forests or blm's (yet) but at Popular National parks and at Moab better get there early.. Have you seen the restrictions and campgrounds they closed at Glacier NP? Its coming to all NP's
My current first choice is COE (Corps of Engineer), followed by City and Municipal Parks, Rodeo Grounds, etc.. I then look for Water Management Districts, Forest Service, BLM, etc.

I completely AVOID all State and National Parks. :(

Tom

Bike
R1200rt
My current first choice is COE (Corps of Engineer), followed by City and Municipal Parks, Rodeo Grounds, etc.. I then look for Water Management Districts, Forest Service, BLM, etc.

Tom
yes, State parks are the worst. I'm trying to do the High line trail in Glacier 9/7 & 8 If I can stay at the park with the old guy pass it will be worth it. They will not take reservations after labor day and close some of the campgrounds early because covid doesn't like the cold

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

Tom
How do ufind the coe campgrounds? Any particular app?

TPadden

Tom Padden
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Tom
I do dispersed camping as well, but still really enjoy the great State Parks we have here in Texas, unique scenery of Palo Duro Canyon, bison herds at Cap Rock, remoteness of Colorado Bend, looking at 8000 ft + peak at Davis Montain (yes, in Texas!) and others. Also more affordable with the Senior Pass for State Parks And grateful for the people dedicated to maintaining these uniques places. And with the NP Senior Pass, primitive sites in National Forests can also become real bargains.

Top Bottom