Givi Trunk

Good afternoon all; My ST1300 came with a monokey trunk that works well for me. I have a goldwing trunk that I would like to modify to be a transport for my puppy so she can ride with me. Is there a way to attach a plate or modify the Goldwing trunk so that it can use the GIVI mount and the two can be swapped back and forth? Does GIVI have a trunk big enough for my puppy that I could buy a different trunk and make it puppy friendly for the ride. My puppy is 45lbs when full grown, so it would have to be a reeaally big trunk (ie goldwing). Please respond with contstructive ways to accomplish.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I think the bigist Givi is a 56 litre, but don't know how it compares to a GW box size. I've never heard of an adapter to attach GW to Givi, might be easier to buy and modify a big Givi, if it suits your size requirements.

Bike
2010 ST1300
IIRC, the bike's owner's manual suggested a 10 lb max for the top case. While many of us routinely ignore that weight (and ride with more than 10 lbs.) I think 45 lbs. that far back might cause some handling problems. Putting that much weight aft of the bike's rear axle will have a greater effect than having a passenger's weight in front of the axle.

I had handling issues after adjusting* the rear shock's damping when overtaking semi's and riding thru the wind turbulence. I had a Bestum top box. A bigger top box might require some suspension tweaks.

* I thought I was improving matters - but I really went the other way. Returning the setting to factory recommended cleared up my problems.

IIRC, the bike's owner's manual suggested a 10 lb max for the top case. While many of us routinely ignore that weight (and ride with more than 10 lbs.) I think 45 lbs. that far back might cause some handling problems. Putting that much weight aft of the bike's rear axle will have a greater effect than having a passenger's weight in front of the axle.

I had handling issues after adjusting* the rear shock's damping when overtaking semi's and riding thru the wind turbulence. I had a Bestum top box. A bigger top box might require some suspension tweaks.

* I thought I was improving matters - but I really went the other way. Returning the setting to factory recommended cleared up my problems.
Also, remember that this dog will be moving in the box. Big problem while on the road.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Buying another Givi trunk and modifying it might be a better way as you can reuse your existing mount. That being said 45lb of movable weight will likely be beyond what the cases are recommended. I agree some of us push the weight of both the case load capacity and what the rear rack part of the bike is rated for, but whatever I did I'd want to make dang sure the case was not going to come off. You're pooch's life may depend on it!

You may want to look at soft carrier type options that can attach to the rear seat. It will lower the center of gravity and as long as it's secured properly to not fall off the rear seat is designed for more than that kind of weight.

1651710055092.png

Another alternative (depending on the dog) is more of a dog bed style (low sides) and have the dog tethered. The side will help prevent side to side slide and the pup can just sit (assuming it's not an over excited type.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
At 45#, I'd be looking for a luggage rack that sets over the back seat and build from there. I don't really know how the Wing (1500 or 1800?) trunk attaches. Several 1300 guys built racks over the back seat to hold auxiliary gas tanks on the 1300 and kept the trunk.

OP
OP
Sparky1971
Thanks. I think that last post is what I'm looking for. At $750 though. The trailer looks to be less expensive.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Also, remember that this dog will be moving in the box. Big problem while on the road.
I put 50lbs of weight plates in a Vetter trunk and handling was terrible. I can't imagine what it would be like with a 45lbs critter moving around.

At 45#, I'd be looking for a luggage rack that sets over the back seat and build from there.
Capital idea. Move that weight farther forward. Eye-protection for the pup should also be a consideration.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I would think that before I spent $6000, I would look into a used trailer and modify it. If I didn't have the facilities, tools and/or skill to make one, probably not a bad deal.

I'm wondering why they chose to do the video with the noise of the guy mowing grass or what ever in the back ground. I'm also wondering what's the future of the dog's hearing with the wind noise and loud pipes blasting away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sparky1971
I would think that before I spent $6000, I would look into a used trailer and modify it. If I didn't have the facilities, tools and/or skill to make one, probably not a bad deal.

I'm wondering why they chose to do the video with the noise of the guy mowing grass or what ever in the back ground. I'm also wondering what's the future of the dog's hearing with the wind noise and loud pipes blasting away.
Yes. My plan was a used trailer $360. And a modified lid for the dog. Separate area for tent and supplies

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

My intent was for you to see all of the pictures on that link to get ideas.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
My intent was for you to see all of the pictures on that link to get ideas.
That was a good site, especially for a do-it-yourself guy! I still wonder why they videoed the trailer with all the noise in the background.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Here's a used MC trailer I've had on my save list for a few weeks on FB MP, $950. It's near Cincinnati, maybe they'll toss in some Reds tix with the sale! :rofl1: As a Reds fan, it's going to be a LONG season...

Josh

Top Bottom