Gl1800 tip over/rear guards on ST1300

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Think I'll try the hose clamp idea to match the original frame bolts idea.
I did the same when I installed my GL1800 bars. While it did work I wasn't impressed with this method. I recently had to remove them to accomplish some other work. When reinstalling them I tried a different approach. I have a lift table. I installed the bolt in the lower arm of the bar and aligned the upper hole of the upper arm horizontally with the hole in the motorcycle frame. I then tightened the lower bolt to keep the upper arm from moving horizontally. I attached a ratchet strap around the upper arm of the bar and to the table. I then tightened the strap pulling the upper arm downward until its bolt hole was aligned vertically with the bolt hole in the frame. A little tap from a rubber mallet fine tuned the alignment horizontally so that the upper bolt could be installed. I found this to be a much faster and easier method of compressing the bars to fit the frame holes.

If you don't have a lift table you will need to find a solid anchor for the strap. Something as simple as sitting the bike on its center stand on an arrangement of wood that the strap could be anchored around would probably work. It didn't really take that much force on the ratchet strap to compress the bars sufficiently.

I did the same when I installed my GL1800 bars. While it did work I wasn't impressed with this method. I recently had to remove them to accomplish some other work. When reinstalling them I tried a different approach. I have a lift table. I installed the bolt in the lower arm of the bar and aligned the upper hole of the upper arm horizontally with the hole in the motorcycle frame. I then tightened the lower bolt to keep the upper arm from moving horizontally. I attached a ratchet strap around the upper arm of the bar and to the table. I then tightened the strap pulling the upper arm downward until its bolt hole was aligned vertically with the bolt hole in the frame. A little tap from a rubber mallet fine tuned the alignment horizontally so that the upper bolt could be installed. I found this to be a much faster and easier method of compressing the bars to fit the frame holes.

If you don't have a lift table you will need to find a solid anchor for the strap. Something as simple as sitting the bike on its center stand on an arrangement of wood that the strap could be anchored around would probably work. It didn't really take that much force on the ratchet strap to compress the bars sufficiently.
Thanks Andrew. That does sound like a better option. I've bought the chrome bars and was worried that the hose clamp would cause some damage. Thanks again, makes very good sense.

Top Bottom