Glacier NP and Banff NP Accommodations?

Gunner

Steve Gunn
We're heading up to Montana in a couple of weeks to get out of the heat and will be taking a short swing into Canada to see Banff.

Does anyone have any recommendations on clean reasonable places to stay around Whitefish, Montana and Lake Louise?

Thanks!

Steve

Attachments

OK, I'm officially jealous now. What a trip!

I didn't go north to Canada, but Glacier is the most spectacular place I've been in my life. There are lots of motels in Kalispell, MT (I stayed in a chain motel - Super 8?) and the town is right on US 2.

Enjoy!

pete

Avoid the lodge at the intersection of the Going To The Sun Road & US-89 in St. Mary. We took one look at the room (not in the main building) and left. We went south to the Circle R ( http://www.circlermotel.net/page/page/6022559.htm) Motel in East Glacier. Half the price very clean and large room. Good restaurant next door. In Bonners Ferry we like the Bonners Ferry Log Inn. WWW.Bonnersferryloginn.com. Good accomadations. The truck stop up the road has decent food.

You're pretty much riding the Selkirk Loop. Google it for lots of information on the area.

Len

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
We're heading up to Montana in a couple of weeks to get out of the heat and will be taking a short swing into Canada to see Banff.

Does anyone have any recommendations on clean reasonable places to stay around Whitefish, Montana and Lake Louise?

Thanks!

Steve
Banff and Lake Louise in the summer are very expensive places to stay. Just about every place for rent will be listed in Expedia or Hotels.com. Canmore is close and quite a bit cheaper. If you are a Hostel member, both Banff and Lake Louise have facilities that are reasonable.

Clicky

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Stayed recently in the Travel Lodge in Kalispell. It was reasonable, clean, short walk to restaurants (just across the street is a good one), etc.
Whitefish is more expensive than Kalispell from what I have found.
Rod

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Stayed recently in the Travel Lodge in Kalispell. It was reasonable, clean, short walk to restaurants (just across the street is a good one), etc.
I stayed in that Travelodge on my trip last September. Forget the name of the restaurant across the street but I had some pretty good steak and brew. :D

Bike
GL1800
You are hitting a few of the roads John_Diego and I toured on last month.

We did not have a firm place to stay in the Lake Louise area but ended up in Banff at the Best Western. Expensive 125 dollars Canada type but comfortable. There is a campground in the Lake Louise but we decided to head south to Banff as the temps were falling fast.

The Chateau at the Lake looks a little dear to me.

You are going to enjoy the tour - read our report in the BC section for other ideas.

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Steve Gunn
Thanks to everyone for the information.

I'm sure it will make the trip even more enjoyable.

MeanST, those pics really got us more excited about the trip, THANKS!

Steve

Bike
2005 ST
Gunner , if you're going to be in Lake Louise try to find the time to head up highway 93 towards the Columbia Icefield . It's about an hour or so north of Lake Louis . The scenery is amazing . If fact , the mountains you see in my av are from that road .

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Super 8's in both Kalispell and Whitefish are around $85. this time of year. A little seeder but clean for $20 less will get you the Downtowner in Whitefish. All come with continental breakfast. If you decide on the Travelodge in Kalispell (pretty good) the restaurant across the street is called Barley's. It's a brew pub and if my avatar is any indication, I know brew pubs. Ask for their sampler but be careful they make 14 beers on site all are very good! The most reasonable hotel in Lake Louise is called the Lk louise Inn but for something more rustic try the Deer lodge, very close to the Chateau but not as expensive. There's some very cool cabins on the bow valley parkway, Johnson Cabins, they're pretty neat. Or try Storm Mountain Cabins, 1930's log cabins with wood stoves and a very good restaurant. You'll need reservations but exceptional. Have a great trip! Hope some of this helps. Cheers Marty

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
There is a KOA in Hinton, just north of Jasper, you can get the Kamper Kabins at some pretty super rates.
IIRC we were charged $70 Canadian per night....not too bad considering the $200+ a night most of the other places wanted. Clean, heat and AC....not bad at all.
I hope this helps,
Rich

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Steve Gunn
Gunner , if you're going to be in Lake Louise try to find the time to head up highway 93 towards the Columbia Icefield . It's about an hour or so north of Lake Louis . The scenery is amazing . If fact , the mountains you see in my av are from that road .
Will do! It would be a shame to ride all that way and miss the best part!

Thanks,

Steve

Jev

Here are a couple of comments on the route. It seems that you have picked some of the nicest roads. The BC stretch from from your 12 to 18 (Golden, Revelstoke to Creston) is beautiful. It looks like you are going across a couple of ferries which make a nice break. The ferries run often in the summer and are free.

Revelstoke -- lunch on the picnic tables by the A&W, fast food or pack your own to avoid the tourist scene. Right by the bridge and train bridge.

Nakusp -- when you turn south, there is 30 minutes of straight fast road to the ferry and then a dead stop crossing on the Galena Bay ferry. You can usually get to the head of the line. This can be overloaded, they run 2 in summer, worst wait is about an hour. There is a point to walk out on and usually some one has a coffee shack set up. Then 30 minutes of heads-up but fast road to Nakusp. The Kuskanax lodge is the best place, on mainstreet. The beach is great. The hotsprings road (Nakusp Hot Springs) is about 8 miles but is paved now if it's cool enough to go to, the water is very hot, it is back towards the ferry just out of town. When you approach Nakusp you have to stay right and get off the highway bypass near the Esso, just stay right, the town is too small to get lost in, you go past a school and a copshop to get onto mainstreet by the lake.

Kaslo -- the road from Nakusp to New Denver is excellent. New Denver has a good motel in it just thru the 4 way stop on mainstreet, that cafe is the only place decent to eat...

The road from New Denver to Kaslo is the one I call "the Final Exam". Good pavement if they aren't working on it, but the curves are NOT engineered, the hairpins are for real, slow down and stay one with the road, easy to drift off, it's pretty. You will pass the ghost town of Sandon just out of New Denver, it is all dusty gravel and while it is interesting it is really SUV territory altho a bike can do it in dry weather. If it is rainy be aware the road used to puddle up.

In Kaslo the mainstreet is fun, the Mariner Hotel there should be done its reno's but I would not count on staying there. This is hippy funkytown. Walk down to the old paddlewheeler and cruise the shops. It is pretty much a one street town, the Langham centre has some crafty stuff in it. Be careful on the 50 kms from N Denver to Kaslo, this is the best bike road in BC for my money.

South of Kaslo is Mirror Lake which is the very best tenting/campsite. As for a tent site at the far end of the lake. It is off the road, the lake is swimming temperature, quiet usually. Also little cabins for rent if available and the weather craps out.

South of Mirror Lake is Ainsworth Hotsprings, stay at the Ainsworth Motel http://www.ainsworthmotel.com/index.html Not, repeat not, the Hotsprings resort, expensive!. The hotspring has a U shaped cave you can go in and around in, alot of rules, not as hot as Nakusp, but the view is great and it is worth a stop and a relax. From there down to the Ferry at Crawford bay is good road with one wicked hairpin at Coffee Creek but you'll know it.

Crawford Bay BALFOUR -- good ferry service, cafe there, sandy beaches. Mellow scene and motels all along the way if you are at the end of a day.

Creston --You get off at Crawford Bay, the ferry traffic is a pain, the road needs patience to get to Creston, alot of almost but not quite places to pass. Best restaurant stop in Creston is as you come into town, the ABC restaurant on the right in a shopping centre, good grub and service, downtown is a struggle. Take in the fruit stands as you leave Creston headed back east.

More info about the Canadian side if you want. But the route looks excellent.

For the original request of accomodations, East Glacier has a number of spots from hostel to the grand lodge. We stayed in Jacobson's Cottages which were very good.

Have fun,
Jeff

Bike
'09 ST1300
In Banff, Banff Springs Hotel. Great place for lunch or dinner, a bit pricey to stay there tho. Incredible ambiance, an old era hotel built with old Canadian Railroad money.

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Steve Gunn
Jeff and Marty,

Thanks for the great information. We're looking forward to getting on the road.

Steve

Bike
'04 ST1300
Gunner - I'm planning on being in Glacier and into Canada last week of July. When will you be in the area?

Gary J.

I'm currently sitting in a cafe in Banff, where even the campground is relatively expensive at $27c and the hostel is $115! The weather has been cold and rainy but the riding is very scenic. Dress warmly and hope for better weather.

Top Bottom