Go Pro Camera

Anyone using a Go Pro camera that could that could give me some suggestions on which camera model to purchase, where to mount the camera and how to shoot good video would be much appreciated.

Anyone using a Go Pro camera that could that could give me some suggestions on which camera model to purchase, where to mount the camera and how to shoot good video would be much appreciated.
Ask Noraly : )

I do have a GoPro, but unfortunately, it's not a current-day model, do you'd be better served from those who have a newer model.

I will say I've used chin mount, side helmet mount, chest mount, and bike mount in various places. They each have their strengths, so it really depends what you "want" out of your video(s).

I think the, "how to shoot good video" is something that's learned through experience (assuming you know the basics about videography).

OP
OP
Sundayride
Ask Noraly : )

I do have a GoPro, but unfortunately, it's not a current-day model, do you'd be better served from those who have a newer model.

I will say I've used chin mount, side helmet mount, chest mount, and bike mount in various places. They each have their strengths, so it really depends what you "want" out of your video(s).

I think the, "how to shoot good video" is something that's learned through experience (assuming you know the basics about videography).
Thank you.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'm not going to be super-helpful, but I have a Hero5 Black (I think it's a 5), and I have only used it on a bar mount. The stabilization programming is not perfect but it's pretty nice. The sound is a little muffled because I run the camera in a scuba case I have just because. If you want to remote a microphone for better sound, you'll need to open the side door unless that changed with new cameras.

This is a commute home from San Francisco a few years ago that I didn't edit in any way. I know because I haven't got a clue how to edit video. The times that I added a windshield made the images a little funky, of course, but I was mostly using it to capture bad behavior of drivers out to kill me. In this video, you can see the view through a windshield and what fun! A commuter who opens his door into traffic just as I'm passing (legally, I might add.)

There are a bunch of good videos on youtube to help you figure this out. Mike on Bikes has some interesting stuff about GoPros and moto, sound, lighting as you're in and out of tree shade, etc.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
How much do you wish to spend?
There are a number of top 10 reviews on YouTube...most concur with GoPro 7 or 8 black, being the best. Voice activated, nice feature CJI seems to be in that category too. $300-$500. Getting good quality sound means an external mic to plug into the cameras. To do that with a GoPro can be costly.
I have two SJCAM 7Star. One I mount on the chin of my helmet the other I have on a ram mount on my bars. The chin mount is my “A” camera and I have an external mic plugged into it and runs inside my helmet. The Handlebar is my “B” roll with no sound. I sync it when I post edit. Some people run a sound recorder and sync it when they post edit.
I have waterproof cases for mine with the “A” roll unit I drilled a hole in the case just big enough for the mic connector to fit through. The GoPro 7 and 8 is waterproof connecting the mic may be a waterproof issue.
I made the chin mount a few days ago and it works very well. It Velcro’s to the helmet. Stayed on at 130km/h today.
I don’t have voice control and rely on remote controls to turn the record buttons on and off.
You will need spare batteries too, and a way to charge them on your bike. You get about an hour or better on each battery

As mentioned in previous post there are plenty of locations to mount the camera, you can experiment. Again YouTube is your friend, as vloggers will post what works best for them.

Attachments

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Go Pro Hero 5 here, I've mounts on a couple of my bikes where I can switch the camera off/on whilst in motion (I hate stopping LOL), spots with lesser vibration are better, the left side mirror housing works well on the ST1300.

OP
OP
Sundayride
I'm not going to be super-helpful, but I have a Hero5 Black (I think it's a 5), and I have only used it on a bar mount. The stabilization programming is not perfect but it's pretty nice. The sound is a little muffled because I run the camera in a scuba case I have just because. If you want to remote a microphone for better sound, you'll need to open the side door unless that changed with new cameras.

This is a commute home from San Francisco a few years ago that I didn't edit in any way. I know because I haven't got a clue how to edit video. The times that I added a windshield made the images a little funky, of course, but I was mostly using it to capture bad behavior of drivers out to kill me. In this video, you can see the view through a windshield and what fun! A commuter who opens his door into traffic just as I'm passing (legally, I might add.)

There are a bunch of good videos on youtube to help you figure this out. Mike on Bikes has some interesting stuff about GoPros and moto, sound, lighting as you're in and out of tree shade, etc.
Thanks so much.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I also recall reading something about the financial outlook of the company not looking so great. Sucks to invest in your chosen brand and have it disappear.
I will say though, the camera has been fun when we've used it in the water for paddling, or just goofing around at the beach. They have (or had) an online account thing that was like $5/mo for unlimited photos and a decent amount of video, but it wasn't all that great of a user experience. I also don't like trying to remember the how to link the camera to my iPad, and I'm not much for video editing so their software wasn't all that helpful for a dope like me. That would be another thing to look into. What software support does your camera come with?

That said, I am familiar with GoPro and I'd probably buy another one unless someone turned me onto a different brand and showed me how to use it.

Top Bottom