Going to look at an ST1100, need honest opinions

Bike
VStrom 650
I've been keeping a look out for an ST1100 to replace my 83 Goldwing Interstate and one with about 87k miles on the OD has showed up about an hours drive from me. My primary question is in regards to parts availability. So far the only thing wrong with the ST is a broken left mirror and after doing a quick search on ebay I was stunned that only a hand full showed up, the rest of the page was aftermarket mirrors that I'm not sure would work. I already have issues with my 83 GL in regards to parts availability but I'm getting a sinking feeling I may be jumping into an even deeper rabbit hole with an ST1100. I'm going to see if I can schedule a time to take a good close look at it today but in the meantime I'd appreciate your thoughts on my parts availability concern.
Wow, you guys just talked this guy out of what probably would have been the best bike he ever owned.
Walleye, I think if you read the OP's first question, he had plenty of doubts all of his own. He was just doing his due diligence and figured it could turn into a bad idea.
Surely we should point out the good and bad of such a purchase. Many on this "ST" forum have left the Pan European flock already and probably for similar reasons.
One size don't always fit all.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The truth is the truth whether it suits us or not.
Are ST1100s worth the little dab of extra trouble?
Absolutely - but that is my experience not his. :biggrin:
Going off a cliff is not as bad if you jump at your choice rather than be pushed off by surprise.
At least you get to sorta pick your landing spot! ;)
Besides, it's much better to want something and not have it, as to have something and not want it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
If the OP wants to pursue acquiring a ST1100 there are plenty to be found that don’t have a broken mirror or mirror cover.
For the most part, parts are still available to keep the bike running. There are after market timing belts, master cylinder rebuild kits, water pump kits and the like. Mirror covers and tip over guards are in the consumables category and they are in short supply, that being said, there are builders out there turning the platform into naked bikes. That’s where I got my spare mirrors and covers from.
If the OP sought out a post 96 standard model under 100k miles he would be good for a decade of next to trouble free riding if he does the basic maintenance with regards to flushing and changing all fluids every two years and moly on the splines. Oh and regular oil and filter change too.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Would cutting it cause improper aim from the bulb?
Yes. The standard H4/9003 bulb will not sit properly in a North American ST1100 headlamp without the lower tabs. The adapter rings are needed to take their place.
Another way to spend your money is get a European headlight assembly.
Another option is to remove the headlamp assembly and cut notches in to the housing in the locations where the two lower tabs of an H4/9003 bulb need to be.
Cheaper than buying a replacement headlamp assembly, and not much more work as you would be removing it anyway to replace it with a European version.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Martin - I actually own 8 complete ST1100s in total -
4 daily runners
4 parts bikes

Plus about 60+ feet of additional ST1100 parts stored in my garage attic.
I have the 4 parts bikes under their own full covers and parked in the car port. :biggrin:
In my collection, I have two ST1100 complete engines with less that 60,000 miles on them.
So I figure I should be able to keep my ST1100s running until I can't run myself! ;)
Remember Uncle Phil, It's not a problem until you realize it's a problem.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Got back from my local Honda powersports dealer. No light bulb in stock I figured that no surprise there. Anyway ended up ordering it be here in 2 days. $32.00.

OP
OP
Walleye, I think if you read the OP's first question, he had plenty of doubts all of his own. He was just doing his due diligence and figured it could turn into a bad idea.
Surely we should point out the good and bad of such a purchase. Many on this "ST" forum have left the Pan European flock already and probably for similar reasons.
One size don't always fit all.
Upt'North.
Nah you guys haven't scared me away...... at least not yet :) I actually still want one regardless if it's a 30 year old bike. I like the look, it should have all the power I need/want, they're reasonably priced and to add it all up the ST's don't have all the unnecessary bells and whistles that many Goldwings have. Many like all the gadgets and perhaps if I were to ride a GL1800 I might like it too but for now I prefer not. I worked on a friends GL1200 Aspencade that had all the gadgets and it was a nightmare to work on compared to my rather basic Interstate. Parts availability is an issue that I can perhaps deal with but probably the most important unknown issue is will it be reasonably comfortable for my wife when we ride 2 up. In the meantime I'll put my GL up for sale and save up some more so I can buy a nicer ST than the one I was looking at.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@JSBail sez, "and to add it all up the ST's don't have all the unnecessary bells and whistles that many Goldwings have."
Amen to that.
I'm nothing, if not a gadget guy, but Saturday at @Nashcat 's RTE I listened to a member telling us about his DCT Africa Twin. I've read some about them, I've watched videos, read the moto-mag reviews, etc... and I was horrified! (Initially.)
6 gears, cool, ...but 3 gears on the left grip and the other 3 on the right grip? Did I hear that correctly?
Oh, hell.
And if you hit a button on one of the grips while it's running, "in neutral", it will ride off the sidestand because there's really no neutral?
Oh, hell.
And then, for those of us who actually enjoy working on our own bikes... all these computers, all these hi-tech transmissions... dare I?
Oh, hell.
I've worked in technology for 4 decades, and the thought of owning a new Africa Twin almost scares the poop out of me.
And, then when you HAVE to take it to a dealer for fixing some engine or clutch(-less) or gear or computer-thingy...
Oh, hell.
You know, I REALLY like this electrically adjustable windscreen on my '08 1300. That is so neat, that convenience!
Gadgets. He counted out 16 buttons on just the LEFT handgrip!
Oh, hell...

Bike
VStrom 650
Nah you guys haven't scared me away...... at least not yet :) I actually still want one regardless if it's a 30 year old bike. I like the look, it should have all the power I need/want, they're reasonably priced and to add it all up the ST's don't have all the unnecessary bells and whistles that many Goldwings have. Many like all the gadgets and perhaps if I were to ride a GL1800 I might like it too but for now I prefer not. I worked on a friends GL1200 Aspencade that had all the gadgets and it was a nightmare to work on compared to my rather basic Interstate. Parts availability is an issue that I can perhaps deal with but probably the most important unknown issue is will it be reasonably comfortable for my wife when we ride 2 up. In the meantime I'll put my GL up for sale and save up some more so I can buy a nicer ST than the one I was looking at.
Er'Indoors has spent days on the back of mine.
No complaints there.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Comfort on a ST1100 is all about getting the seat that works for you.
Some folks like Corbins (they are like sitting on a brick pile for me).
I'm a Russell Daylong Saddle user myself and you can have the rear seat built to fit your pillion as well as the front built for you.
At least having a backrest (even if you don't have a trunk), will also make for a more comfortable ride for your wife.
My wife years ago rode on the back of a GL1800 (older model) and said she was much more comfortable on my ST1100 with a RDL and a backrest.
YEMV!

Top Bottom