Goldwing maintenance is not for the faint of heart

I like to try to keep on top of the basic maintenance for my vehicles myself. I'll usually do sparkplugs, oil changes and the various filters. But the Wing is an awkward beast to work on. Oil is easy enough. The drain plug is in a sensible location, and the oil filter takes the same tool as the ST, so that was easy enough to change. And the plugs are easy as well. It's a flat 6, so the plugs stick out the side. Seems OK so far.

And then we get to the air filter. The ST1300 wasn't too bad if the top fuel tank was empty. The Wing was designed to make knuckles bleed. To do anything on the wing, the seat has to come off. Then you really start to excavate. The dashboard surround goes first, then the top shelter as you work out how to unplug the two big plugs going into the radio, and the aerial on the other side. The reverse unit is next, with its special connector, followed by the CDI unit, with two special connectors. Pray that you don't pinch a wire. Then the bit on the other side, which I think is the cruise control, needs moved out of the way before you shift the plate that holds all these electronic gizmos in place. Finally, three hours after you start, you can see the top of the air cleaner housing.

Picture is of a Wing with its clothes off, all critical components removed and the air intake arrowed. Now it's just another three hours to put it back together...

And unless you want to take the front of the fairing off, you are not fitting that Stebel horn. You may be able to fit it between the headlights, but a lot of plastic is going to have to come off to run the 20 amp power supply. The auxiliary circuit doesn't have the juice. It's a big bike, but if you like your farkles, you will long for the roomy caverns under the ST1300's plastic.

It's still a lovely machine though.

Attachments

• Wingfilter.JPG
    Wingfilter.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 119
Yeah, that air cleaner is an SOB, but it really doesn't get dirty that quickly. I changed mine after 12K and now do it every 24K. I spent about four hours today changing the oil and filter, coolant, brake and clutch fluid, final drive fluid, rear disk pads and both tires. Its not so bad once you've done it a few times.

I was just looking at a 04 Wing and thinking about trading. That air cleaner deal looks tuff :eek: I wish some one would make a easy to maintain bike !

My Bandit is so much easier to work on than the ST it's almost funny. Especially with all the plumbing for the PAIR and EVAP systems removed. I accessed the air filter in about 15 minutes yesterday:

remove the seat

remove 2 bolts holding the tank on

lift the tank back and up, then roll slightly to the left and unplug the fuel pump connector and vent tube

roll the tank slightly to the right and remove the fuel line (this can be done with your fingers, and there's a one-way valve that prevents more than a few drops of fuel from leaking out

take the tank off and set it out of the way

use a long #2 phillips to loosen the lower 2 screws holing on the air filter. These are captive, so they don't fall into the bowls of the bike

use any #2 philips to remove the upper 2 screws (not captive, but easy to reach)

Slide the filter cover up and out

Slide the filter up and out

Piece of cake!

BMW's R1200RT is a pip, too. The oil filter is a BMW design that requires a BMW filter cup wrench (I believe you can use a standard oil filter and wrench as a replacement). The drain plug is not the standard 17mm hex but a Torx drive. The filler cap is a special design, too, and you won't find one in your local Sears. A special tool is required to remove the spark plug caps. I get the feeling they don't want you messin' with things.

pete

But everytime you change the oil/filter on the Wing... you laugh at what you had to do on the ST :D

Back
Top Bottom