Good Bye BMW K Bikes

Bike
2000 ST1100
News comes from talking to my friends and visiting various BMW motorcycle forums that there will be no 2021 model. The word is it is being kaput due to not being able to meet the new EU 5 emissions standards. WoW I thought that series of bike was the most modern they had. Is it because sales are slow of that series of GT , GL, and bagger models? Also saw on one of the BMW sites that there that the new Goldwing has yet to be certified EU 5 compliant. Wonder how many other motorcycles will be caught out in this mess. One of the 2 models that I would consider is the new BMW RT1250 so I sure hope it is compliant. And the Yamaha FJR 1300. The Yamaha FJR is still listed as a 2021 model on the Yamaha website but rumors are it isn't EU 5 compliant so who knows when it will go bye bye. I hate it when our true "Sport touring" bikes gets whittled down.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
BMW's US website currently lists a full line up of 2021 K1600 models. The Bagger, Grand America, and the GTL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
BMW's US website currently lists a full line up of 2021 K1600 models. The Bagger, Grand America, and the GTL.
Yep I seen that. This news was taken from a German Motorrad magazine. Maybe they mean't 2021 is the last year. BMW K1600 forum is where the current discussion is going on about it if you'd like to read it and make your own conclussion.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep I seen that. This news was taken from a German Motorrad magazine. Maybe they mean't 2021 is the last year. BMW K1600 forum is where the current discussion is going on about it if you'd like to read it and make your own conclussion.
The thread was 10 pages long 4 days ago when I saw it. My conclusion is BMW will revamp or refresh the big six for '22. BMW's recent history is to produce models with relatively short production lives of 2 to 5 years. The 1600 is approaching 10 years.

Bike
VStrom 650
As of last summer I think the only BMW's that had passed Euro 5 were the new F900's. I suspect there's a backlog of testing going on in EU land to determine if bikes comply with 5. As most of Europe is in a pandemic lockdown which is likely to last until Easter at least I can't see much 5 compliance testing taking place anytime soon.
The shift to VVT on the boxer range must have been to preempt Euro 5 compliance so I'm sure they'll sail through when their time arrives.
Upt'North.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Looks like the Euro 5 emissions will take a toll on quite a few other bikes, as well as the K1600 line up. Among the others will be....

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR 1300A
Yamaha YZF-R6
Yamaha XV950R and SCR950
Harley Sportster range
Ducati Monster 1200 and 797
Honda V4's will include VFR800F, 800X Crossrunner and VFR 1200X Crosstourer
Honda CB1100EX and CB1100RS
Suzuki GSX-R 1000

A lot of good/proven bikes will meet their demise due to tightening emissions soon.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks like the Euro 5 emissions will take a toll on quite a few other bikes, as well as the K1600 line up. Among the others will be....

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR 1300A
Yamaha YZF-R6
Yamaha XV950R and SCR950
Harley Sportster range
Ducati Monster 1200 and 797
Honda V4's will include VFR800F, 800X Crossrunner and VFR 1200X Crosstourer
Honda CB1100EX and CB1100RS
Suzuki GSX-R 1000

A lot of good/proven bikes will meet their demise due to tightening emissions soon.
It's not just emissions in isolation as the cause of death. In the case of Honda they have shown the ability to meet upcoming emissions hurdles years before necessary. The ST1300 at it's 2002 introduction was Euro 3 compliant (2007) which was a full five years away and the NC750 was Euro 5 compliant eight years ahead of deadline. If the manufacturers wanted to bring these bikes to Euro 5 compliance I'm sure they could have but some of the bikes above are ancient and/or low volume movers and deemed not worth the technical or financial effort.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
What a shame. Good bikes ending their existence cas of some fanatics in power.
Sadly, we are going to see more of this as the world pivots away from fossil fuels. Bottom line, we can either have our toys belching hydrocarbons and CO2 and roast, or maybe stop global warming and live in the nearly same world we have. Of course, if you don't believe in global warming, like the corona virus, then about all you can do is vent and buy older, used bikes.

STOC #
Of course, if you don't believe in global warming, like the corona virus, then about all you can do is vent and buy older, used bikes.
Or, you could buy an electric bike and help spur on the building of nuclear plants to supply what the wind and sun can't.
Wait, isn't this thread about the demise of the BMW K bikes? BMW could rename their DC Vision a Kw...

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I was hoping to see a new GT with the modern dash of the new RT plus all the tech goodies like ACC.
John
I don't think they will ever kill the boxer twin. I am thinking BMW designed that engine in 1923 so in 2 more years it will be a hundred years old. Most people think of the boxer engine when they think of BMW motorcycles. Just like Honda the Goldwing.

Bike
VStrom 650
I don't think they will ever kill the boxer twin. I am thinking BMW designed that engine in 1923 so in 2 more years it will be a hundred years old. Most people think of the boxer engine when they think of BMW motorcycles. Just like Honda the Goldwing.
I think the R18 says a lot about where BMW sees its ICE future. Which is probably only another 10 years.
On a personal note, when I think Honda I think inline 4. But that's probably just me.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Djc
OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
... lobbyists forcing everyone to buy new stuff ...
Thats why I keep the old stuff. 16 year old toyota 4 cylinder that is very easy to maintain by myself. 21 year old motorcycle that is very simple to maintain. I've literally saved a small fortune by keeping it simple. When my old bike dies and if I choose the BMW RT I will probably be out of my league when it comes to DYI maintenance.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I have nothing against EV, if similar conditions are met.: cost, range, and recharge time all similar to ICV
I don't think I'd ever buy one. At 66 years old i should be able to just get out of this world before this foolery becomes the norm. I watched one of those Formula E races on tv and those cars made hedious screetching noises. Rather listen to Nascar, Imsa sport cars and Indy car engines.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
When my old bike dies and if I choose the BMW RT I will probably be out of my league when it comes to DYI maintenance.
[/QUOTE]
You know that bike ain't gonna die, you'll have to euthanize it if you want that beemer. Its ok to have more than one bike, sorta like being Mormon.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have nothing against EV, if similar conditions are met.: cost, range, and recharge time all similar to ICV
Can't see that...
Already the production of new conventional vehicles kicks out more emissions than this promised (as they mostly can't meet it anyway) EU5 reduction could ever achieve...
With EVs you'll have to add mining of rare ores + production of batteries to this...
To keep your current vehicles well maintained and as long as possible appears more sustainable... in the eyes of share-holders not so appealing of course...

Top Bottom