Good Works Performance shock review for ST1300

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
Howdy Folks,

There is a decent product review of Works Performance shocks on an ST1300 here (Google Groups).

Based on this article, I guess it is better to stick with other alternatives such as Ohlins, Hyperpro etc.

RB

I think Penske is the best. Buy it directly from Penske though. Contact Shane Sweigert or Cole Sietzinger at (610) 375-6180. Those guys are the best. By buying directly from Penske, you cut out all of the middle men and get to deal with the person/company that is actually building the shock.

All Penske shocks come from Penske no matter motorcycle suspension shop you deal with. When you buy a shock from a suspension shop, they have to pick up the phone and order it from Penske. Things get lost in translation. Deal directly with the factory.

See my post titled "Kudos to Penske" in Tuning and Handling if you want to see how Penske treats their customers and the hassles you go through when dealing with a middle man.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
While we are pimping vendors I'll give props to Dave Quinn Motorcycles who is the sole US distributor for Hagon Shocks. I have about 2600 miles on mine now and am very happy with how it turned out. The handling is back to the ST I remember when it was new - or better. The shocks are built to order in England so with the free-falling dollar I got a deal in January at $554 that is now $620 for one with a remote preload adjuster. It came in less time than promised and slipped into the place of the OEM with no modifications to the bike. No shimming mounts required or cutting or grinding on the frame like some other replacement shocks require. If you truthfully answer the questions on Dave's website Hagon builds the shock to the specs developed for the motorcycle in question including the ST1300.

I was surprised to read about the trouble encountered with the Works Performance shock. I replaced my OEM with a Works Short Shock at 12000 miles. Have now 55000 miles and had absolutely no problems. Bike handles great! I weigh 170 & never ride 2 up. Have taken long trips (5300 miles last Fall) & loaded both saddle bags & Givi top box & ride & handling have been good.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy Folks,

There is a decent product review of Works Performance shocks on an ST1300 here (Google Groups).

Based on this article, I guess it is better to stick with other alternatives such as Ohlins, Hyperpro etc.

RB
Is Ohlins now making a shock for the ST1300?

They were not when I checked last year. They were only willing to customize one for the ST on a special order at a cost way out of my league.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I had a works shock on my ST1100 as well and really liked it but the seal would begin leaking every 12-15K. This was the recommended interval for servicing anyway so I just always paid my $75 or so to have the shock rebuilt.

The OEM shock on my ST1300 seems much more durable and is still working OK so far at 74K. I would be interested in a Works replacement when the time comes for replacement but I heard a horror story about the hydraulic preload adjuster repeatedly failing. This gives me some trepidation. Has that been redesigned or corrected in some way?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
We went with a Works Performance package for the the rear shock and front forks on the VTR. No problems, no questions, and we are very happy that we did. A first class aftermarket company IMO.

Doc

Bike
ST
Howdy Folks,

RB
A friend had a very similar experience (almost exact), but with Wilburs, on a rear shock for a K75; he finally ended up going direct to Penske and had notheg but praise for them.

KevinL

lddave

been there
STOC #
I had the same works shock and two ST1100's for a total of over 150,000 miles. I have had excellent service at a fair price when I have sent it back for service. I have not experienced the seal leakage Jeff mentioned.

Bike
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
50K+ miles on the Works Pro Racer on my ST1100; completely oversprung for me, but I was too lazy to send it in to be rebuilt. Worked great when the bike was loaded all the way down with camp gear. (Previous owner rode 2-up and were 'murrican sized folks).

YMMV I guess. But I'd buy another Works.

OP
OP
Red Brown

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
A friend had a very similar experience (almost exact), but with Wilburs, on a rear shock for a K75; he finally ended up going direct to Penske and had notheg but praise for them. KevinL
I went with Traxxion on my current ride and can't say sing enough praise about the sales process, quality workmanship and detailed installation instructions that came with the shock.

Top Bottom