Goodby Honda

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Edit: My 2003 ST has 127000 miles on it and I have had it almost 12 years since new. Being that Honda had not seen a need to up grade the ST and I am lusting for a new bike replacement. The New FJR 1300 just seems to be the logical choice.
Chuck, it will be interesting to see if you get 127,000 out of a Yamaha...:D

Personally, I think that is where the real difference is in the ST1300 VS any of the other bikes out there. :think1:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Personally, I think that is where the real difference is in the ST1300 VS any of the other bikes out there. :think1:

Like a few C14's w/ over 100k on them already... :)

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A

Both the ST1300 and the FJR are legendary as far as very high, durable and dependable mileage. Many Feejer owners have well over 100k miles with many close to 200k and still going strong. The link I posted above is about a rider that has two 2005 FJRs, one with 168,000 miles, the second with over 50,000 miles. He is keeping the one with 168k along with his new 2014 ES he just bought. People are wondering how soon it will be before he has 100k on the ES.

Dan

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Still haven't heard where the ST and NT let you down.....

Has not let me down however, My 2003 ST has 127000 miles on it and I have had it almost 12 years since new. Being that Honda had not seen a need to up grade the ST and I am lusting for a new bike replacement. The New FJR 1300 just seems to be the logical choice. Lighter, more stable in dirty air, more Electronics ie cruise control etc, and more HP then the ST. Falls in between the ST and the NT in weight. So I can replace two bikes for one and get a bit more room in the garage. As I said before I might also be replacing the DR650 with a WR250 next year also, as my bikes get heaver each year. Not sure why.;)

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Both the ST1300 and the FJR are legendary as far as very high, durable and dependable mileage. Many Feejer owners have well over 100k miles with many close to 200k and still going strong. The link I posted above is about a rider that has two 2005 FJRs, one with 168,000 miles, the second with over 50,000 miles. He is keeping the one with 168k along with his new 2014 ES he just bought. People are wondering how soon it will be before he has 100k on the ES.

Dan
I had 174.3K on my first ST1300 that I sold to my son last year. It's still going strong. :1st:

It took Chuck 12 years to put the 127K on his, or 10K+ a year...that is probably more typical of what many will put on a bike in a year. I still say the ST1300 would out last the Yamaha...:D

Currently I have over 20K on my second: and 18K on my third. 00K on my fourth (still on the operating table :)

The big difference between me and most, I don't get bored with it, when I like something!

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Guys Guys slow down, I have not got one yet. Still need to get to next Spring first. But I have made up my mind that when I do, the FJR will be the choice. Sad that it will be the end of my Honda ST career, as I have been riding ST's for near 22 years. First my 1992 ST1100 for 10 years and now my ST1300 for the last 12 years. But time moves on. I am not getting any younger, and Honda is not building anything for the US market that interests me. If I had the space I would still have every Honda that I have owned over the years but I don't. I need to get down to two road bikes and a small dual sport. Thus my thoughts on a new FJR 1300, my Wee 650, and a small 250 dual sport. That should set me up for the next decade as I tend to keep my major bikes about 10 years. Still need to do some other things for the future first with the available finances, but come early Spring, the road should be clear.We will see how it all falls out.;)

Last edited:

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
as my bikes get heaver each year. Not sure why.;)
I hear you on that one. And in case you didn't know it, I recently bought a Suzuki Wee and sold my 03 ST. And I could not be happier.
I really liked the ST but was getting "intimidated" by all that mass every time I attempted any low speed maneuvers.

Good Luck with your FJR

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Goodby Honda
All I can say is I will have a ST1300 and a NT700 up for sale at the end of the riding season. As soon as I get some dental work finished and payed for, I can start getting my finances in order for a 2014, Candy Red FJR..... Sorry Honda, your forward thinking is just too forward for this old set in his way, senior. FJR1300, come to daddy.

Honda just lost me to Yamaha and Suzuki. They have the products that I am interested in.
This means one thing: As soon as Chuck buys one of those new cool FJR's, Honda will announce the new ST. :yes: Do you mind buying your FJR sooner Chuck?
:D

PS. I'm with you ... FJR is my first choice. (But I really dislike the black rims.)

Bike
2006 ST1300
It seems you have good taste. This is the first time I've said this- and I think even the first time I thought it- but if my '06 had any real value I would consider selling it to put the money towards a Super Tenere. But with over 100k on it, farkles & mods that bring the value down some more, scratches and scrapes...I know I'll always own it.

With that said...if I were in the market for a replacement Sport Tourer, I'd be very interested in the FJR. I don't know how my larger frame would fit it, but on paper the FJR has pretty much everything I want in a sport tourer.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
That's why they lost me, I just wanted a updated sport touring bike and they aren't doing it. The ST just needs a refresh and a diet, it amazes me how good the bike still is after all this time I just wished it had modern amenities.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just wanting something new and lighter than the ST.
Newer: that would be anything in its class.
Lighter: that would be anything its class. (Well, maybe not if you include a K1600GT, but one could argue that machine is in a class all its own.)
With a V4: that would be nothing in its class.

Lots of options out there.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I had 174.3K on my first ST1300 that I sold to my son last year. It's still going strong. :1st:

It took Chuck 12 years to put the 127K on his, or 10K+ a year...that is probably more typical of what many will put on a bike in a year. I still say the ST1300 would out last the Yamaha...:D

Currently I have over 20K on my second: and 18K on my third. 00K on my fourth (still on the operating table :)

The big difference between me and most, I don't get bored with it, when I like something!
Don't you need another one. I know where there is a low milage slightly use 03 ST1300 Colorado Bike.:D

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Interesting thread. Me . . . I'm already there. I really enjoyed all THREE of my Honda ST1300s and I never had to make the choice of retiring an ST in order to get something else. But when my last horse died out from under me I was faced with the decision: Honda ST with 2003 technology . . . or . . . Yamaha FJR with 2013 technology. It was a no brainer.

14,000 miles plus later I'm finally starting to become one with the FJR. Time will tell if it has the durability of the STs, but quality of bike for the $$$ . . . sorry Honda, but Yamaha listens to its users and produces.

Shuey

PS: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?135646-2013-FJR1300-Shuey-s-Farkles&highlight=

PPS: Smash, I always liked the distinctive sound of the ST. The FJR sound is also unique and I'm liking it, probably because it's different than the ST, maybe a little throatier. It's all good.

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Wow, all this talk about this bike and that bike. Hell, I just want to be able to get back on the one sitting in my garage. Been way too long since last October and now have 2-3 months of self therapy b/4 I can even think about riding. Accidents SUCK!!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Chuck, I support your direction having been an ST owner, an FJR owner and a Wee owner..... I'd like a WR250 too, but question my need for that.

I am quite familiar with most FJR issues, and am a regular contributor to resolving issues, and some would even consider me a go to guy, but I'd never claim I know all about all. I do my own wrenching, do wrenching at tech gatherings, so I know what's it's like to peek inside those bikes. Like the ST forum, there's a ton of information and good people who will know the answer to a problem. There were grounding issues for which there was a recall, and forum members who had alternate (and better IMHO) fixes. There is a short list of preventative maintenance items I'd recommend to those with any new bike (especially if you're anal), including addressing potential wiring corrosion issues or grounding issues that even ST's have/had. The Gen3 FJR's should have no grounding issues, and we are learning about them as we go along.

I would never say an ST is not a good bike, it is and for many they are very very satisfied. I will kid around at STOC events that one should ride an FJR. I can honestly say the FJR is the most fun bike I have ever owned, and that I have no qualms about reliability and me riding it until it dies. Which BTW, I have no fear I could do 200+ k miles. Do I want a new Gen3, sure do because of the throttle by wire mostly. One day.

One of my little contributions is here if it helps..........
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?139315-2014-FJR1300A-or-ES-and-a-question-for-you-FJR-owners

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Wow! Sounds serious Chuck. Hang on a little longer. Maybe we can get a group buy going, like we did with the Oklahoma Silver .
Does that mean I have to change also Fred? :D I don't know how much longer I can wait on Honda to make a bike I want to buy.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck, I support your direction having been an ST owner, an FJR owner and a Wee owner..... I'd like a WR250 too, but question my need for that.

I am quite familiar with most FJR issues, and am a regular contributor to resolving issues, and some would even consider me a go to guy, but I'd never claim I know all about all. I do my own wrenching, do wrenching at tech gatherings, so I know what's it's like to peek inside those bikes. Like the ST forum, there's a ton of information and good people who will know the answer to a problem. There were grounding issues for which there was a recall, and forum members who had alternate (and better IMHO) fixes. There is a short list of preventative maintenance items I'd recommend to those with any new bike (especially if you're anal), including addressing potential wiring corrosion issues or grounding issues that even ST's have/had. The Gen3 FJR's should have no grounding issues, and we are learning about them as we go along.

I would never say an ST is not a good bike, it is and for many they are very very satisfied. I will kid around at STOC events that one should ride an FJR. I can honestly say the FJR is the most fun bike I have ever owned, and that I have no qualms about reliability and me riding it until it dies. Which BTW, I have no fear I could do 200+ k miles. Do I want a new Gen3, sure do because of the throttle by wire mostly. One day.

One of my little contributions is here if it helps..........
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?139315-2014-FJR1300A-or-ES-and-a-question-for-you-FJR-owners
Yes I just read it and I was already with the mind set that I don't need the Electronic suspension model as I only ride solo. Don't get me wrong I love the ST, My ST1300, Have for the last 22 years. But times are a changing. Thanks for all your helpful info. Will be studying it more as I move towards the inevitable of owning a FJR in the near future.

As a side note. The DL 650 Wee is a perfect Colorado Bike, and my DR650 is still a bit heavy for the kind of off riding (4x4 passes) I want to do with it. So a smaller lighter powerful 250 is in the back of my mind for next year, after my buddy and I do the Continental Divide Trail ride later this month. The WR seems to fit that bill. Will be studying that over the winter.

Top Bottom