Goodbye Spot!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As I'm about to cross the USA, I'll be interested in seeing my InReach tracks.
Not sure I want to add a SpotWalla subscription too, I'm already committed to $25/mo on my existing plan.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
As I'm about to cross the USA, I'll be interested in seeing my InReach tracks.
Not sure I want to add a SpotWalla subscription too, I'm already committed to $25/mo on my existing plan.
Spotwalla is pretty inexpensive. It used to be free. He only recently started to charge a bit for it and I don't mind sending him $25/yr (not per month) or so for the service he provides. It is a pretty useful site if you like to keep track of things, divide the riding up into sections, send links to others, etc. It is very easy to customize to your own needs.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
One of the challenges appears to be coverage above the arctic Circle. The Garmin products seem to deal with that better than the Spot units.
The Iridium satellite system (used by Inreach) works better in the latitudes further from the equator as compared to the satellite system used by Spot (Globalstar). ie. Inreach is a better choice if going to the Arctic.

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
you have to set up a google account and any one who has the password can see it. It has tracked me in areas that had poor cell reception or none at all. I just started using it and don't know how fast it updates. When it gets warmer I will be testing it more.:think1:
You can "share" your location. Your icon will appear on their map. Its not a track, just the last location. Generally, updates every few minutes. I track with my phone using GAIA GPS. Mostly I'm in cell service. I did drop my SPOT for all the reasons mentioned.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Is there a list of current systems and their differences?

Which are more economical for the only-occasional rider?

I;m thinking one that you can activate and deactivate at will.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I;m thinking one that you can activate and deactivate at will.
InReach has such a subscription, check their Pricing page on the Garmin or InReach website.
I thought that's what I wanted, but again... I can deduct mileage on my tax returns as an independent contractor.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
InReach has such a subscription, check their Pricing page on the Garmin or InReach website.
I thought that's what I wanted, but again... I can deduct mileage on my tax returns as an independent contractor.
Thank you. I've never had a tracker, but it sounds more and more sensible.

When you mention Garmin, how do I know if my Garmin is compatible?

Added: I have no idea what I'm looking for. InReach search:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When you mention Garmin, how do I know if my Garmin is compatible?
One or both sites (I think each has a site, I could be wrong) has a compatibility guide.
Or you can simply Google "is my xxx compatible with InReach?"
A few minutes poking around will answer most basic questions.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I need a primer for dummies.

I should add my primary interest is in being found in case of emergency, but I may have interest in other features as I learn about them.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
InReach has such a subscription,
Be aware.....Garmin charges a fee to be able to opt in/out of their plans. About $40/yr IIRC.

As for "is my Garmin compatible": The Garmin inReach is a standalone unit. You do not need any other Garmin unit for it to operate. The Garmin Mini pairs with your smartphone which then acts as the display/operations panel.

If you only interest is being found then a PLB may be what you need. There are several to choose from.

Lots of info here.

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
So the next question, Is there any market for a used Spot device and are they transferable? Last thing I need is something else cluttering up the shop shelves. Heck I still have parts from my air cooled Multistrada on them.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Iron Butt folks sell their used Spot devices. I bought a used SE+ InReach device that's now one or two "generations" old.
I just deleted the previous owner's Tracks, and have been using it for my work trips. I might be getting the hang of it, in a very rudimentary fashion. I'll learn the additional functions and features as I go along.
In my noobie tracking device state of using it, I tend to equate them as functionally the same means to an end.
Am I wrong? I know there are some differences, but isn't it like a shaft drive and a chain?
They both get you there.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have used an InReach SE for about 10 years (same one) and it still does what I want it to do. ie. tracks me and provides a link for friends/family. I have it linked to my phone as typing on it is easier than the unit.
The firmware updates when needed so I see no need to "upgrade". Biggest issue is remembering to turn it on. It will occasionally miss a ping but not often, and sure not as often as the Spot did.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have it linked to my phone as typing on it is easier than the unit.
That's a good idea, but I have just been sending the standard "I'm sharing my track map with you" message.
I already have a Sena and XT and phone paired, so I was reluctant to add the InReach to my phone, but you make a good point for when I might send a non-standard message.

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I'll also be dumping my spot when the current plan expires, after our recent ORBDR adventure which ended up with mechanical failure on a remote desert section using my spot to organising a rescue was not possible, good job my riding buddy had his sat phone! He's recently switched to Inreach mini, I picked up a Zoleo on sale, for my use that appeared to be a more cost effective option and I really like the seamless switching between satellite, cellular and wireless depending on availability, sure it needs a phone to text but it can still send fixed messages without

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just ran across this device from Motorola called the Defy Satellite link. Basically it works similar to the SPOT or InReach and can bluetooth connect to your phone for easier typing text messages. I think it may use the same satellite network as the SPOT but not sure. The interesting thing is that it is pretty cheap at $150.00 to purchase and the first year SOS and messaging is free (80 messages per month) for the first year and only $4.99 per month starting year #2. Quite inexpensive. The unit is small too. They also offer a SAR rescue insurance plan for 35.00 per year. I have not heard of this provider before so I'm not sure if they are new or not.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I just ran across this device from Motorola called the Defy Satellite link. Basically it works similar to the SPOT or InReach and can bluetooth connect to your phone for easier typing text messages. I think it may use the same satellite network as the SPOT but not sure. The interesting thing is that it is pretty cheap at $150.00 to purchase and the first year SOS and messaging is free (80 messages per month) for the first year and only $4.99 per month starting year #2. Quite inexpensive. The unit is small too. They also offer a SAR rescue insurance plan for 35.00 per year. I have not heard of this provider before so I'm not sure if they are new or not.
This looks promising, and reasonably priced.

Top Bottom