Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Heated Glove Saga -

I've owned Widders (no longer use), Gerbing G3s, Gerbing T5s, and WarmNSafe Ultimate Touring Gloves and have miles on all of them. I normally ride year round and rotate the gloves as I rotate the bikes, so they all get used. The Widders (before I stored them) and the G3s still work, but the T5s failed multiple times. When the company changed hands and would not honor their warranty, I gave up on them. I bought a pair of WarmNSafe in January 2017 and a second pair in January 2019, which have both failed recently. I am getting them replaced (still in the process on the second pair) but that whole saga is a campfire story for a later time. ;) So I decided I'd try Gordon's Heated Gloves although they are more expensive than other offerings. I did like the fact that they are made in the USA and the original Gerbing family had 're'-started the business. They have the same lifetime warranty that they originally offered (which obviously is only valuable if they are able to stay in business). I had done some 'bench' testing with them but because I've not been able to ride since my leg surgery, I'd not gotten them into the wind. My hands, due to the numerous surgeries I've had on them, are very sensitive to cold so I was very interested as to how much heat the Gordon's would produce and how well they would block the wind. Today I got a short road test of about 200 miles with them in overcast 40-50 degree temps and I was amazed. Of all the other gloves I have listed above, none of them put out the heat that the Gordon's produce. I have the glove circuit separated on all of my jacket liners and I usually have it cranked up all the way. With these gloves, about a quarter of a turn of the thermostat was plenty to keep my hands nice and toasty. They kept my hands and my fingers all at a pleasant temperature. I could not feel any wires or heating elements in the gloves, just ample heat. I later cut the heat off just see how good their insulation functioned, and they blocked the wind very well. They are made from deerskin and are very comfortable to wear for long periods. I really like the large adjustable gauntlet design that makes them easy to get on and off over jacket cuffs. They are simple in their design and great in their function and I am very pleased with them. I will update this post as I get more miles on them in colder temperatures. I am so impressed with their gloves that I may get one of their jacket liners just to see how well it performs compared to the other liners I use.

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
I have a similar story and have tried all four gloves and had all fail. Always preferred the older Gerbing g3's though as they had the waterproof membrane, were soft & flexible and lasted better than the rest but since they changed hands I think quality, customer support and warranty have degraded. The Gerbings also connected to the Gerbings heated liner but I have now gone back to a Stich liner these days so can change glove brand and will now try out a pair of Gordons - thanks Phil.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gordon's Heated
Gordon's Heated Deer Hide Gloves

This is a great looking site. A lot of motorcycle centric sites are poorly done though they may have quality products (not common in my experience.

A nicely designed site with good navigation gets my attention along with a positive review of a product from Unc.

I have several 'winter' gloves and one pair of heated. The latter are H-D kit of unknown actual manufacture. The former gloves do not keep my hands and fingers warm in cold weather- just not as cold as the air outside. The H-D gloves work well with the Heat-Troller set to the upper range of rotation. I have no idea how they'd work if a fuse blew.

These might be worth a look though for the price of any new heated gloves I could by a lot of fuses. :rofl1:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Another alternative I recently discovered, Phenix. These are Olympia 4102 WeatherKing GoreTex gloves to which he adds carbon heat... 20Watts output, higher than others.... has a facebook page only.
https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Flaming-Hot-Heated-Gear/
I just bought a pair from Ken. Great guy to work with. I was looking for a more waterproof glove than my Gerbing T5s, and the Weatherking was the only one I could find that was Goretex.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another alternative I recently discovered, Phenix. These are Olympia 4102 WeatherKing GoreTex gloves to which he adds carbon heat... 20Watts output, higher than others...
BTW, Gordon's Gloves just happen to be 20 watts also … ;) Their jacket liner is 90 watts.
I wonder what WarmNSafe and other gloves out there are rated?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
BTW, Gordon's Gloves just happen to be 20 watts also … ;) Their jacket liner is 90 watts.
I wonder what WarmNSafe [...] are rated?
Ultimate Touring Heated Gloves
Our 12V Heat Glove numbers per Glove, not pair:
1.31 Amps
10.5 Ohms
18.14 Watts at 13.8V

Glove Liners:

Fits Under Most Winter Riding Gloves or Work Gloves.
11 Watts of Heat, (a draw of .7 Amps at 13.8Volts), in Each Glove, Gives a Nice Warmth.

Our Heated Jacket Liner numbers:
Generation 3 & 4
7.7 Amps
1.9 Ohms
106 Watts at 13.8V

Also available on waterproof series:
6.5 Amps
2.0 Ohms
75 Watts at 13.8V

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wore them again in a light rain and they shed the water pretty good.
And again, just a slight turn of the knob on the thermostat and my hands were toasty.
I am really liking these gloves and the amount of heat they put out.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
UP, do you think you would be ok with just the gloves and no heated grips?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well after 4 months of nearly daily use of the Gordon Gloves, I like them even better.
Not only have they produced excellent levels of heat and still work, they are super comfortable.
I didn't realize how nice deerskin gloves are until I got these.
They have Uncle Phil's Good Riding Seal Of Approval! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I just got back from a 1,400+ mile trip using my Gordon Heated Gloves.
They still have Uncle Phil's Good Riding Seal of Approval after 1 year.
I use them pretty much everyday during the winter and they are just much more comfortable and warmer than any of the other heated gloves I have.
And they do work with fine with Gerbing and WarmNSafe jacket liners and the HeatTrollers.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I just got back from a 1,400+ mile trip using my Gordon Heated Gloves.
They still have Uncle Phil's Good Riding Seal of Approval after 1 year.
I use them pretty much everyday during the winter and they are just much more comfortable and warmer than any of the other heated gloves I have.
And they do work with fine with Gerbing and WarmNSafe jacket liners and the HeatTrollers.
Do they have heating in the palms too, or just on the top?

Top Bottom