GPS mount

Would anyone know the best mount for a Garmin 60CS on my new ST1300. I have read about the Ram Mounts but I am unsure which one would work the best with the model of GPS that I have. Which style mount works the best with our ST's.

Patrick

Deleted member 1854

Have you got Helibar risers Patrick? If so, use a ball mount bolted through the centre cover of the risers and a standard ball clamp (extension).

OP
OP
Wow...John you have lots of items mounted to the handlebars. I looked at the risers...are they easy to install and do the improve rider comfort at all? Also, can you tell me what the different items on your bars are...very interested.

Thanks for your replies guys,

Patrick

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
It probably depends on where you want to mount. I just mounted a 60csx right off the riser plate. The rammounts are solid. You need the cradle, a diamond plate, and a medium arm. Then to mount it to the bike you just have to pick a spot and decide what to do. I use a 1/4x20 short threaded stud and then screwed on the 1/4x20 ball they have to it. Done.

I'm not being real specific so if you have some more specific questions just ask. You have to decide where you want it first and then go from there. The common places are the riser plate (if you have it), from the clutch or brake handle grip, or from the brake/clutch reservoir cap.

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/st1300rc.aspx

Cradle:
http://65.102.174.116/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-HOL-GA12U

Diamond plate:
http://65.102.174.116/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-238

Other stuff:
http://65.102.174.116/rammount/motorcycle22.aspx?db=Garmin&dm=GPSMAP60CS&y=2004&b=Honda&m=ST 1300&g=1

HTH

Curt

Attachments

RTETR

Craig Clark
Patrick,

I have no risers but rather just a simple RAM ball mounted with longer machine screws into the centre. 5 minute job and even cleaner if you feed the powerlet up through thte steering stem... :rolleyes:

Attachments

While we are talking GPS mounting, do you mine if I ask an additional qestion? I am planning on getting the Garmin Zumo and want to use the Powerlet plug I have on my right fairing. Do I have to order an optional cable to plug into the Powerlet plug?

Robert

STOC #
Curt:

:bow1:

They all said it couldn't be done but you do have the kitchen sink mounted up there right behind........ no it's right next to......... oops it's right under........... oh yeah it's peaking out of..................

Anyway I'm sure it's there................... somewhere.

Neil S.

Bike
'07 BMW K1200GT
STOC #
Have you got Helibar risers Patrick? If so, use a ball mount bolted through the centre cover of the risers and a standard ball clamp (extension).

Do you drill into the center cover of the riser?

I've got an older design of the Heli riser, and it has two allen-head screws in it about 1 3/8 inches apart. I assume they are for mounting stuff, but I'm not sure of the best way to get the ball mount fastened to the riser.

Suggestions guys?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Do you drill into the center cover of the riser?

I've got an older design of the Heli riser, and it has two allen-head screws in it about 1 3/8 inches apart. I assume they are for mounting stuff, but I'm not sure of the best way to get the ball mount fastened to the riser.

Suggestions guys?
I just rethreaded the holes for 1/4x20 and use the ramball that has the 1/4x20 nut on it with a piece of threaded rod that I cut to size. It works great. I didn't like the ramballs that had the threaded piece on them because they looked like they would break too easy.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
This is a pic of my handlebar setup.

I'm confused as how the powerlet socket powers the Garmin. How I power my garmin in the car currently is with the garmin provided cradle and power connector with wires coming out of the back of it to my cig. adapter. How would this work on the ST?
Do you have the Zumo mount mounted on the ST yet? There's a number of ways to get power but you may want to start with where you're going to mount it first and if you want to do a power cord that can be unplugged and removed with the mount or if you want a power cord that just stays installed on the bike.

Curt

Bike
'07 BMW K1200GT
STOC #
I just rethreaded the holes for 1/4x20 and use the ramball that has the 1/4x20 nut on it with a piece of threaded rod that I cut to size. It works great. I didn't like the ramballs that had the threaded piece on them because they looked like they would break too easy.

Curt
Thanks Curt, but I'm having trouble visualizing your set up.

Did you rethread the two holes that have the allen-head screws in them?
What did you use the threaded rod for? What does the ram-ball nut go on?

Sorry I'm so slow today.

Thanks again.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Threaded rod can me bought at your local hardware store. I actually broke off a stainless steel bolt head to get mine but that's a little hard to do.

I'm attaching a cross section of the riser plate that demonstrates what I did.

Let me know if you need more explanation.

Curt

Attachments

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I mount my GPS on a shelf to accomplish the same thing but that looks pretty cool. However after you mount that, then put an arm on it and then mount your GPS to it I'm not sure how sturdy it would be. Might be worth a shot though.

Curt

Top Bottom