GPS ZUMO 390LM Sun shade/visor

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I am running my faithful Zumo 390LM GPS and would like to improve its readability by attaching a sun visor/shade. I'm wondering if any ST'ers have a Zumo and have managed to locate, purchase, or make a sunshield for it. I did see one for sale, however it was way outside my budgetary comfort zone.

I recently purchased a generic 'fits all' shade but it failed to fit because of the Zumo's characteristic, oval shapes. I thought I might be able to modify the shade successfully, but no.
If I persist I can probably make one, of sorts, but it is certainly not a straightforward task, and I would like it to be neat. I'm thinking maybe Velcro, Plastic card...

I sure would appreciate help on this.

Thanks, D

I have a homemade sunshade on my garmin and it works great. Find yourself some plastic that will bend with heat from a heat gun or hair dryer. THis thermal plastic is common in many things (toys, old computer keyboard, etc). Simply trim it to size, and use the heat (sparingly) to form it around the GPS. Easiest if you make it first out of carboard, then you can flatten the card for a pattern. you can then use Velcro on the sides and top (I use a hot glue gun with a dab of hot glue on the sides). It is a simple and rewarding project.

One of the guys on here took a plastic 1L oil can and cut/trimmed it to fit.

I've used a vinyl loose leaf binder cut to fit with some velcro tabs to hold it on.

I did much the same as Whooshka did with a couple of my past GPS's. Go to an office supply store and buy a cheap vinyl binder Cut it to size for whatever length you want. Usually, you'll want far more than the commercial sunshades have. My last one was much like looking down a tunnel...but it was perfect for bright sunny days. Use velcro on the side of the GPS and on your sunshade and it'll stay on just great.

Chris

I made one for a Nuvi out of cordura nylon fabric. I had some plastic (HDPE) sheet on hand and I bought the cordura pack cloth on ebay. Sewed it up like one of the glare shields sold commercially with digital camo on the outside, and black on the inside. Yes, it took a lot of sewing, but looked great and worked as espected . when the sun was not over my shoulder. From what you said, making it like I did might not be your cup of tea, but I enjoy making stuff. It was held on with velcro bought at Hopot. They have several varieties - standard and a very heavy duty one w/ adhesive tape on the back. JoAnne Fabrics also sells velcro - but I suspect neither is in the land down under.

I talked to the guy who makes the Stuffstopper - front fender extension piece. He uses ABS sheet plastic (its available on fleabay), heats it, and vacuum forms it over a male plug shaped like the fender. When I got my V Strom, buffeting was a big problem and one solution was to make wind deflectors. I bought some ABS, cut it to shape, arranged a couple of boards in a 'V' and placed the plastic on the boards. When I heated it with a hot air gun, it sagged into the valley of the V the way i wanted. You could do the same thing to a piece of ABS cut to surround the Zumo. ABS glue is used in plumbing drains, and you can make tabs and glue them to your shield to hold it in place.

Edit: oops, I neglected to say i used the HDPE as a stiffener between the inside black and outside camo fabrics. I cut 3 pieces - top and two sides. Sewed thru the fabric, not the plastic.

Last edited:
I had gone the plastic route, still had glare issues. I then made my own out of gortex material, piping to firm it up and Velcro. It’s kinda like a dogs veterinarian collar. I still get a bit of glare but 80% of it is gone, in part due to the location of the unit and it catches the reflection of my neon orange or neon green bike jacket.
It doesn’t flutter in the wind like my plastic version, so far I’m pleased with the result, I can easily get a gloved hand in to touch the screen when needed. The cost to me was under $20. It took a couple of hours to make, first makinga paper pattern, then transferring the pattern to fabric and sewing it up. It can easily be sewn with a domestic machine. I got the supplies from a fabric store. The Velcro was a glue on kind (I also stitched it to the fabric). The piping was ready made and sold by the yard. (Vinyl strip folded over a small diameter plastic tube) the material is rubber backed nylon sold by the meter, most places will sell it by 1/4 meter.

Attachments

• 62259E1F-E9F8-4CCE-AABF-E33172E9A0BE.jpeg
    62259E1F-E9F8-4CCE-AABF-E33172E9A0BE.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 576C16D4-5CAC-4278-800C-9A399C4C1EBD.jpeg
    576C16D4-5CAC-4278-800C-9A399C4C1EBD.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 22
I use GlareStompers on my GPS's.. fabric sandwiches some thin foam for rigidity and it attaches with a strip of Velcro. It bends easily enough for getting your hands on the screen.

Thank you very much everyone for photographs, links, and details. All great ideas and very helpful. What an ingenious lot you are ! :).

The Zumo is oval shape in just about every direction with no straight edges at all, but I see the mount the Zumo clips into (on my ST dash) can provide a strong base for a box type shade (4 bolt base). So first action, I am thinking is to raid my wife's Tupperware stash (very risky I know !!) for a 'box' the Zumo may fit into and that I can cut back and mount permanently on the Zumo mount/base. I will have to spray it black finally. Worth a try. If successful the shade will stay on the ST and I will be able to unclip the Zumo, for my pocket.

Yes, it must pass the 'neat test' though, as this is my ST!

Thanks very much again my ST friends.

D

I have the Amazon sold unit in the link above (post #9)- it works well on my Zumo 396 - it doesn’t fold which is its only demerit, but it blocks the glare pretty well.

I use GlareStompers on my GPS.
It bends easily enough for getting your hands on the screen
The fabric sandwiches some thin foam for rigidity and it attaches with a strip of Velcro

Back
Top Bottom