Great little App - Scenic GPS

Bike
2004 ST 1300
After the frustration of trying to plan a 200mi loop through google maps (on iPhone and computer), I realized I wanted something that was better designed for my needs, I checked out Rever and a couple of the others, but the UI and price points were not to my liking. I then came across Scenic. WOW. I did a quick search of the forum here and looked through recent posts, but did not come across anyone who has mentioned it. Reviews and activity online shows that the Dev is regularly responding and updating the app.

Spent about an hour playing around with it and following the videos and tutorials that are listed throughout the app. This really seems like the one. If you're anything like me and not interested or able to purchase a $500 dedicated unit, this is a great mobile phone option. Has all the features of the "motorcycle specific" GPS apps, while offering the turn/turn nav (premium feature) that traditional units provide. Like everything else these days, this has a subscription model. $23/year. Unlike most things these days, it still has a lifetime purchase option ($90). In addition to those features, this has auto route generation and shared route option (think starve or gaia).

One caveat is offline maps must be 'purchased'. The app starts you off with 20 credits and you can purchase specific state maps. (most appear to be 4-9 credits). I was able to download the CA offline maps for 9 units, leaving me with enough for NV and AZ if/when I'm ready, with no out of pocket expense.

If you're interested in it, make sure to click the 'info' buttons throughout the app. The tutorials are a little long, but they're thorough and clear.

I've just come across this tonight and haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but from first impressions it has really won me over.

Thanks

Chris

Bike
2005 st1300
Have heard good things about Scenic. I have wanted to try it for a while, but unfortunately, it is only available for IOS. They were looking for Android developers a year or so back, but are still saying they are working on an Android version.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Another good app is calimoto. It will create routes for you that are optimized for motorcycle riding (twists and curves, etc...). It can even plot you a round trip:

To create one longer than 120 miles, you'll have to purchase premium however.

OP
OP
CVST
Bike
2004 ST 1300
Another good app is calimoto. It will create routes for you that are optimized for motorcycle riding (twists and curves, etc...). It can even plot you a round trip:

To create one longer than 120 miles, you'll have to purchase premium however.
Yeah this has the same features. It is such an awesome idea. I’ll have to poke around calimoto. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
CVST
Bike
2004 ST 1300
Have heard good things about Scenic. I have wanted to try it for a while, but unfortunately, it is only available for IOS. They were looking for Android developers a year or so back, but are still saying they are working on an Android version.
that’s a bummer. Hopefully they roll out soon. I’m considering purchasing the annual to support such a great app.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
I've been using "Tyre to Travel" for a number of years.

Top Bottom