Griniding noise/feel from front brakes no rotor groove/damage

bplandis

2006 ST1300
Son has been riding my bike (2006) for last few weeks off and on. I have not been on it until today in last couple weeks.

Son came home mid week and said it was making a grinding noise in the front brakes. Said he could hear it and feel it in bars and lever. He is correct.

Pads look to have material left, visually dont see a rock or anything rubbing. Just a quick visual check so could have missed something. Fronts work fine!

Rode it with no helmet today and at speed....over 30 and braking dont notice noise/feel of any issues. Slow speed seems consistent. Taking my auto experience.... almost like pad material is harder or does not mate well with rotor. Not getting hot or wearing grooves. Just noisy and grinding feeling at low speed best I can tell at this point. Only put maybe 2 miles on it testing today.

Have no history on pads.... were on bike when I purchased. Used to be quiet and smooth. Have not had them apart. Did have new front tire mounted recently.... dont recall there being an issue after that. I would have noticed the sound/feel of the current issue I believe.

Just looking for thoughts prior to tearing into it. Thanks.

Brad

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Brad, I'm sending you a conversation message through the forum, please respond asap.
Nothing to see here folks...move along....
:rofl1:
:WCP1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Brad....to the white courtesy phone....Brad....a call for you on the white courtesy phone....Please pick up. :WCP1:

OP
OP

bplandis

2006 ST1300
Go figure.... Larry to the rescue. Let me finish up calls this morning and I will reach out to you. Appreciate the help.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Interestingly, I just started hearing a low-frequency squeak or creak from my front brake upon gentle application.

OP
OP

bplandis

2006 ST1300
Thanks for your help Larry. Look a bit more... and I mis-spoke with pads. The left side (clutch) inside pad is very thin. Not sure that is my noise or not but simply was not very detailed earlier in the week when I took a look. If not the pads, they will need to be swapped out regardless. Other three have some meat on them still.

Pic of them here. Also the front spacer you wanted me to get a shot of as well. Hope these help.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keeping conversations visible in the forum helps the forum-at-large knowledge. Thanks for replying on the forum.

Yes, from the pics it looks like the pads are worn from estimating the disk to backing plate distance and from the amount the pistons are extended from the caliper. Hopefully you caught them early and the affected disk is not damaged.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My 1100 developed unusual brake feel and grinding sounds on the front brakes, and that turned out to be caused by a failing wheel bearing.

OP
OP

bplandis

2006 ST1300
Got Larry guiding me as well. I am having some issues with phone/service. But will try and circle back with him tomorrow.

Top Bottom